Drinking alcohol

Options
Someone please tell me they have lost weight drinking alcohol.. I mean, they continued to drink and still lost weight....
I am not an alcoholic by any means, but it's one thing I don't want to give up.:smile: I enjoy socializing with friends, and happy hours are where a lot of us get together. However, I still stick to my diet and exercise regularly, but I"m wondering if that may be what is stopping me from losing weight...And BTW, I drink Whiskey only..

Replies

• misshenn78
    Options
    Girl - I totally know where you are coming from!!! I've had people tell me I have to stop drinking all together...but, come on, there are plenty of skinny girls at the bar, and I just want to be one of them! I've been just trying to add the drinks into my calories for the day, and been kicking up the working out just that much! I did do some research, and yes, whisky isn't bad, and either is wine! Good luck - I would love to see if there are more people to weigh in on this!
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    how often do you drink it and do you stay within your calorie allowance?
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Whiskey straight? I'd say as long as you don't do it too often (more than once per week), you'll be fine. Just be sure to include it in your daily calories, and eat your other meals around it--kind of like a cheat meal.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Nope! Alcohol was the first thing to go along with weed for myself. best wishes though....xo
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    When you put in your tracking for foods n snacks do you include it in your tally? I add the beer I drink and include it in my daily calorie count - if I can stay below what MFP has allowed me for calories then I should still make progress....I hope!:wink:
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Another good drink to have is vodka with club soda. Very low calorie.

Either way, alcohol will lower your metabolism if you drink too much.
  • stampede55
    Options
    I'm a whiskey/bourbon drinker as well. It can be done, just monitor the amount. There are calories in liquor unfortunately. Roughly 69 per 1oz shot. Bars usually pour 4-5 oz shots so it can really add up. I work around this by measuring my shots before hand and filling up a flask. When beer is involved I stick to the 55 cal beer flavored water. Good luck!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    well there is good news and bad news..................I have lost all my weight whilst drinking alcohol HOORAY FOR ME however, I lose faster for sure when I am not drinking.............. BOO HISS

I am a Jamesons girl myself and class it as my diet drink, when all restraints are off (as has just been the case) G & T and red wine and beer figure too

Cheers!
  • rpalacio
    rpalacio Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vodka n tonic or Vodka n diet 7-up. I gave up BEER completely this year! You only need a few vodka drinks....a lot less calories than beer. Just saying. :-)
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I drink I make sure to add it to my log as well as drink an extra couple of glasses of water to help with the dehydration.
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have. As long as I have the calories for it, a drink or two is fair game. For me, it is usually wine but I don't think it should matter.
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but I think that has been the 100% hinderance to my weight loss. I'm no alkie either but I do LOVE to drink. I'm switching from light beer to vodka/soda water. One thing that has helped me is to drink a water with my drink. Refill both at the same time and you will greatly reduce the calories. Or switch from drinking shorts to talls (assuming you are drinking diet soda or water in your whiskey).
  • Shayla11
    Shayla11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Barberella,

i have been in the same place as you are. i have lost weight while continuing to drink. you just write it down and count the calories while watching the nutrition intake. Alcohol turns to pure empty sugar in our bodies.
    If you plan to drink, then cut back on sugar or carbs elsewhere. If you are willing, the mixer, if any can be changed to lower calories, as well.

if you're like me, the alcohol alone is not the problem, it's the bad eating choices i make when under the influence, and i am easily infuenced when it comes to bad food choices!

in the end, it is your choice... you get to make the decisions. Make informed ones and plan, plan, plan!

Good luck,
    sh
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I tried this too. For so long. But, I'm not gonna lie to you... that's why I haven't met my goals since I started here. In the past 3 weeks, though, I have kept drinking to one night per week and I've been SURPASSING my goals. Sometimes, I will slip up and drink twice in a week, but I can tell the difference every single time I do that. There really is no way around it. I wish there was. But it's kind of about choosing what's more important to you at this stage in your life. If you cut calories to allow for alcohol, you are compromising your nutrition. And even when it does fit into your calories for the day, breaking down the alcohol will slow your metabolism, deydrate you, etc. It kind of undoes your hard work. I'm sure I could excel even faster if I cut out alcohol entirely, but I just don't wanna!!! :bigsmile:

Best of luck, though!
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You got to have a drink! I will not give it up! I like nothing more than a glass or two when the wife gets in. As long as you put it in your count and have been good during the day why not I say!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Sure, just factor it in when you're calculating your calories for the day and don't go over. I mean, wine is a serving of fruit, right? ;).
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell you can drink as much as you want, but at the end of the day its calories taken in vs. burned. I'm in the same boat, I love my happy hours! But the problem with drinking is that it packs a lot of calories. HArd liquor and diet soda or no calorie mixer is the best bet.

Also, the eating while drinking kills the day's calorie count too. I mean lets face it, usually happy hour leads to dinner and dinner might be deep fried pub food. Humph... its tough trying to let loose and restricted yourself at the same time.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I did, but i think it definately slowed down the process :(
  • gagagul
    gagagul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is someting that lately I have seen that has slowed down my weight loss. During the week I do great, no alcohol can't with school and work then on fridays and saturday I want to let loose still try and stay under my calorie count and stick to mostly Vodka soda water with lime but then when you begin to have more than 1 or two it's just empty calories from there not to mention a late night taco or snack at the end of the night becuase your too tipsy to think otherwise. Soon very soon I am going to cut it out all together and see how far that takes me. I am a firm believer in still mainting a life outside diet and exerscie but I guess everything is with mediation and you can always start back up the next day and just work it off but you do definitely have to work that much harder!!! Good luck to you and to the both of us with our alcohol!!!!
  • HotMomma86
    Options
    I have lost 13 lbs since November and have been drinking every weekend. I just make sure to keep my calories in check during the day and usually amp up my workouts once or twice a week. Everything in moderation :) Oh, and I only drink beer.