Just a vent...

Options
13»

Replies

• Marbar
    Marbar Posts: 15
    Options
    Congrats on doing it the hard way. Venting is needed every once in a while! Stay strong!:smile:
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I'm angry reading that she would do that. I think you need to have a private discussion with her about how she is acting and hurting you. If that doesn't work, I'd stop spending time with her. What she did was TOTALY uncalled for, rude, and a violation of friendship. You are doing it the right way and in the end will have better health and a much better body. She can drop all the weight, but so fast is unhealthy and will leave her skin stretched. Losing slowly allows any skin thats stretched time to tighten back. Plus as you go on you are going to build muscle and tone.. I'm assuming she is not working out at all-- she may drop lbs, but that doesn't mean she will look good!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    What a jerk. Who says that to a friend (or anyone for that matter)?

If it makes you feel better, I'd rather do it "the hard way" than shell out tons of money to have a major surgery.
    There's no guarantee that she will not gain the weight back in the future, therefore, she should choose her words wisely.
    She might lose weight and be small for 5 years then gain weight. You will lose the weight and keep it off forever.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like a friend to me. :angry: But here's the flip side....many people who've had the weight loss surgery end up gaining much of it back, because they've taken the easy way out but haven't learned anything. You, on the other hand, have learned tips and tools about food, nutrition and overall healthiness that will be with you for the rest of your life and will help you to maintain your weight loss. I'm proud of your efforts, and I'm sure everyone else is too. Keep up the good work, and don't let her immaturity sidetrack you or distract you from your goals!! :happy:
  • efalcon1
    Options
    I think everyone is spot on. I would say firstly if it's easier block her status updates on facebook for a start!! Some people only know how to bring people down with negative comments, some horrid woman said to me "have you lost weight or have you been ill". Nice, but ultimately I can change my weight, she will always be a horrid person! Just think of all the hard work you have put in and remember if you want a treat - you can have one without it making you feel poorly ;-)
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in March, 2003. Lost 70 pounds, but gained it all back and then some...your friend will soon find out "the easy way out" does not last. On the other hand, I have lost 61 pounds in 6 months with the help of MFP and friends. This time, I decided to "take the hard road" and get it done once and for all. You are doing great, hang in there, you can do this. Remember, it needs to be a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Amen. Thanks for sharing. I see people all the time, taking the surgical route and it never seems to turn out quite like they wish, and I've yet to see anyone look as HEALTHY and FIT as someone whose done it the hard way. The surgical route is not without complications, very often makes it hard to get adequate nutrition and stay healthy looking (even though they're shrinking at an amazing rate!), and so often I see these folks eventually gain it back.

Doing it the old fashioned way is so preferable if you can do it. It takes a lot of strength, and it is indeed a lifestyle change, but your health will thank you. The health benefits you get from every ten pounds you lose is amazing, as are the benefits from exercising and working out.

I admire you doing it the hard way. Just remember the old tortoise and the hare story and push forward.

:)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is driving me insane. She weighed 350 and had gastric bypass surgery. She is loosing weight like none other me on the other hand started at 170 and have lost 20 in 4 months. She keeps asking me how much I have lost and than brags about how much she has lost. Yesterday was the absolute worst... I ended up in tears cause she posted on her facebook how much she had lost "taking the easy way out" and than used my name and how much I had lost "doing it the hard way"! Claimed that she had to have way more will power to loose hers that I had to loose mine!

Ok that was my vent... Sorry if I offened anyone!!

I think I would be losing 300# of friend really quick!

I put this on another thread several days ago, but will respost here too. I know 3 people that have had gastric bypass: 2 guys and a gal. Guy #1 is as big as ever and guy #2 (who I met after his initial weight loss) has been packing on the pounds this past year or so. Haven't seen him in several months, but quite frankly, I am expecting him to be HUGE again the next time I do. The gal is a friend from high school, and I have to say, she looks fantastic (10 years after surgery). She did however struggle with other issues: she just traded one addiction for another. She is doing great now.

Bottom line is that bypass is just a tool, the behaviors still have to change.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Okay- well hate to say it but your "friend" sounds like a b**ch. I've had friends do the WLS and all did lose weight, they haven't all kept it off. Eventually, they say their stomach "pouch" stretches again, they get over the "dumping" from sugar, and they can go back to eating the way they did because they didn't make the lifestyle changes they needed to make. Like watching portions for the rest of your life, like exercise. So for those of us who do it the "hard" way, yea, it is harder and slower but often more likely to be maintained.

As for willpower - where is the willpower when you have the stomach the size of an egg and you simply can't physically eat vs. pushing yourself away from the table or not buying those cupcakes when they call your name.

Stick with supportive people in your life and YOU will be successful!
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Why did the easier way require more willpower? The "friend's" logic seems as poor as her manners.

I was thinking the same thing! And to say it on Facebook? Just proves her low self-esteem.
  • chris808
    Options
    Two things:

1) You've done brilliantly yourself. Whatever your friend says makes no difference to how well you've done. You don't need to validate your own achievements against your friend. Keep doing what you're doing as it's working.

2) Maybe talk with her face to face about how her comments make you feel.

Chris
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Don't Let her upset you! Kudos to those 20lbs you have lost! And also remember that you will take longer to gain this weight back than your "friend" ! And if she is at 350lbs probably the weight is falling faster because of that. The more you lose the more difficult it gets to lose further! Good luck! You are doing great.
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I applaud you on doing it the hard way and not taking the easy way out. I agree with the other posters, it was very rude of your "friend" (I say that lightly, because a true friend would not have said and done as she did to you) to say the things she did. I believe you are going to be the one to win the battle. You are going to be the one that will have the healthier lifestyle because YOU choose to take the long road... I wish you the best of luck in your continued Journey to be healthy. BTW, Great Job on the accomplishments you have made thus far! Outstanding job!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    One of my bestest friends from childhood had the surgery 6 years ago. She was at her heaviest around 350. I never said anything negative about it OR shunned her when others did.

I was about 110 then had a baby and was up to about 170.

She would brag and stuff, which is normal-- she'd never had a 'normal' social life.

Then she just got *****y and rude and I had to talk to her about her attitude and behaviour.

She said, "You're just jealous that I'm thinner than you are now."

:-O

We didn't talk for about 3 years. Then she called and apologized.

The moral of this? Talk to your friend. If she's a real friend, she'll cut the crap.

:) And congrats on the 20 pounds!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just remember, you are doing it "the right way" and will be able to maintain your loss better than she will. You are proving that you have the willpower to eat smaller portions and better food without some surgical method forcing you to do so! If you ate the miniscule # of calories she is able to consume per day you'd lose weight that fast too but IT'S NOT HEALTHY in the long run. You will be much better off doing it "THE RIGHT WAY"!

It will be interesting to see if she can maintain the weight loss once she gets to goal.

Oh, and I'd reconsider how good of a friend she really is. If she's not supportive, I'd unfriend her and block her so she can no longer drag you down!

Good luck!
  • midmomike2
    Options
    1rst, congrats on the 20 lbs lost, that's AWESOME! 2nd, she doesn't sound like much of a friend. 3rd, it is my belief (and experience) that our destination often times isn't nearly as important as our journey there.You're doing great and the hard work you are putting in will change you not just for today, but will give you the strength and encouragement to change your life!
  • chelcscarbrough
    chelcscarbrough Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That was terrible and you EARNED your 20 pounds lost! That's an amazing accomplishment and don't let her make you forget that!