how to get motivated to get up in the morning to excercise

Options

Replies

• katrina1025
    katrina1025 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I keep my alarm in my bathroom next to my work out clothes and sneakers. That way I HAVE TO get up to turn my alarm off, and since my stuff is right there, I might as well change and work out since I'm up. I know me too well, I am too tired and lazy to workout after work so I just remind myself, you know you won't do it later, just do it now and be done with it.

Awesome Idea!!
  • gtfosnorlax
    Options
    I read once where it takes the brain 2 weeks of consistent daily routine to determine that this new routine (getting up early) is a good thing. Up until that point your brain will react harsly to you screwing up it's understood routine (staying warm and cozy in your bed). BUT if you just make yourself do it for 2 weeks, by the end of that time when your alarm goes off your brain and body will say "yes, this is right and normal and I'm ok with this." and may even look forward to it!

Two weeks doesn't sound that bad right???

Good luck!

I agree with this, I really wanted to start working out in the mornings so I just made myself get up. It's not that hard, just tell yourself before you go to sleep (I say this outloud, too) that you ARE going to the gym in the morning. Once you wake up to hit the snooze button, remember what you told yourself the previous night and GET UP. After a while it becomes a habit and soon enough you'll notice even on your rest days you'll still be waking up super early.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    1. Sleep in your workout clothes.>>snip<< Anyway-I have recently become successful getting up for 5:30am spin class.

LOL that's exactly what I do... sleep in my kit and straight to the gym or out for a run! :laugh:

I get up at 5:45 for a 6:30 spin class, and I feel fantastic afterwards. At work I'm much more alert and awake then if I had stayed another 2 hours in bed!!

I have loads more energy since I started training in the morning.

The more inactive you are, the less energy you have. You need to create energy!

And even if you don't train at 6:30 at least get up and do something rather than stay in bed, that way you're up and about for two more hours and it all adds up in terms of calories expended.
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    I so know what you mean....I am not a morning person, and getting up at 5:30 is tough. Not sure if anyone else suggested it, but I decided to try was going to bed a little earlier and getting enough sleep. That definitely helps me.
  • 1mallorie
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 - 5 every morning including weekends- my workouts are Monday - Friday- I work full time and have two very actve kids- BUT I make myself get up and do it- you deserve it and so do the kids for a healthier you! It takes 3 weeks to form a habit- commit to those 3 weeks and you should be good- yes it will be hard but so worth it in the end- you WILL feel so much better if you just do it!
  • HealthHopeAndHappiness
    Options
    I live in North Pole Alaska, where is it is -40 below today, so I can totally relate to not wanting to go outside! I personally hate getting up in the mornings and have a really hard time going to bed at night so that doesn't help(= However, my husband goes to work at 7 am and instead of making his lunch and what not the night before I get up with him at 6 and force myself out of the bed. I know then I don't have a choice because he cant go to work with out a lunch and coffee(= I also make sure to take my D3 and B12 as soon and I get up that help tremendously with keeping me from crawling back in bed. Oh and I read the other day that an apple in the morning will actually wake you up faster than a cup of coffee, so you could keep an apple by the bed. (= Hope this helps.
  • chantelleB23
    Options
    When i started going to the gym early in a morning, it was so hard for me to get up so early, i would just snooze the alarm on my phone or not even hear it, so i went out and bought a big metal alarm clock with like bells on the top and put it at the other side of the room so when it goes off i jump straight out of bed to turn it off before it wakes anyone else, and because im already up and out of bed, i get straight on with my day, and now sometimes i even wake up just before it goes off :) x
  • spacecat
    spacecat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just to add on to the great ideas already out there:

Make sure you're actually getting enough sleep the night before. I find that working out first thing in the morning makes me need *more* sleep at night than working out later in the day. Try going to bed 15-30 minutes earlier and see if that helps ease the transition.

Do morning workouts on the weekends, too, even if your weekend exercise is something simple like stretching or going for a walk. You don't have to get up at exactly the same time--I know I don't get up at 5:30 on a Saturday--but you do need to train yourself to associate waking up with physical activity.

When all else fails, try the 10 minute trick: tell yourself that you just have to get through 10 minutes of exercise, and then you can go back to bed if you really, really want to. You can even set a timer. Of course, 10 minutes later when you're already on the treadmill and breaking a sweat, jumping back in bed is going to feel pretty pointless!
  • CSK1981
    CSK1981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have problems with motivation to. At first i would go to the gym at 8:30 am, but i just can't do it, so i've pushed it back till 11:30 am.

But because of the weather, i don't like being cold and lately we've been getting snow, so even if i wanted to go to the gym, i can't, so for days where i can't leave the house, i play on my Wii and the best part, it's doesn't even fell like your working out, you're playing games. I play tennis, baseball, bowling, boxing, basketball, your still working out but in a fun way!!

Plus, i also look at celebs who i think having amazing bodies, that i to would like to have, as motivation. It esp. helps if you have them actually on your wall like i do or somewhere where you know you'll see them everyday, it's like they taunt ya in a way, it sounds corny but seeing it everyday makes me wanna get off my butt!!!
  • aethorne
    Options
    There are plenty of things you can try to make this work:
    1. I agree with moving your alarm clock. If your problem is getting out of bed, this may be the only way to change that.
    2. Are you getting enough sleep? The reason you are hitting snooze so much might be due to lack of sleep. A good 8-8.5 hrs is essential to weight loss.
    3. Write your day out and stick to it. I do this before I go to bed at night. Even if it's on a scrap piece of paper I will write out 7-up, 7:30-breakfast, 8:30-gym, 10-shower, etc... This way you feel accountable to a schedule.
    4. It's possible that working out in the morning may not be what works for you. I have tried all different times of the day and it seems that if I don't go to the gym by 11 then I just don't end up getting there. See what time of the day works for you and then do it. No excuses.
    5. When you get out of bed, get changed into your workout clothes right away and put your sneakers on.
    6. Do you have a workout buddy? Find a friend or family member that can go to the gym with you in the morning and have them come pick you up if possible. That way you have to be ready and out the door at a certain time.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CowgirlHustle
    CowgirlHustle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good advice "aethorne"! My BEST advice is to NOT talk to yourself in the morning. Just follow the plan. NO conversation. NO excuses. Once you get a few days under your belt, you will feel like a champion! A workout partner you have to meet would be great--it's a nice way to get together with friends you usually don't have time for. And, who cares how cold it is? You'll be sweating within minutes! You will be SO proud of yourself after a run in the freezing rain---I PROMISE! Wear a hat:-) Good luck everyone! Mind over matter!!
  • CowgirlHustle
    CowgirlHustle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good advice "aethorne"! My BEST advice is to NOT talk to yourself in the morning. Just follow the plan. NO conversation. NO excuses. Once you get a few days under your belt, you will feel like a champion! A workout partner you have to meet would be great--it's a nice way to get together with friends you usually don't have time for. And, who cares how cold it is? You'll be sweating within minutes! You will be SO proud of yourself after a run in the freezing rain---I PROMISE! Wear a hat:-) Good luck everyone! Mind over matter!!
  • saimabhaidani
    saimabhaidani Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    tell yourself, its just for 10 mins, if I dont feel like doing it anymore then I will come back to bed. You are guaranteed to complete your workout after being into it for 10 mins.
  • MamaJess
    MamaJess Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to get up earlier in the mornings to go and use my treadmil as it's a deep freeze here in Manitoba right now.... I can't take my dogs for a walk. And I need to start excercising again. And I don't have time at night with 3 boys and with all their hockey / takewondo. So I thought get up earlier and do some treadmil and if i have time in the evening I can squeeze out another work out.... But every day I tell myself yes tomorrow up earlier and you can do it.... my alarm goes off in the morning and I snooze it over and over again until the last possible sec and I get up and then it's a rush to get out the door.... I need to know HOW I can stop doing that.... anyone out there have any advise for me???

This is what I finally had to do...
    I setmy alarm clock clearon the other side of the room and now I have to get out of bed to hit the snoozebutton and by the time I get up to go over there I am already out of bed and for me thats the worst part of the battle.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    BABY STEPS!! Start with 3 days a week (every other day) pretty soon you'll start seeing results and craving that "feel good endorphins" and you will WANT to get up in the morning and work out. You dont have to do an hour either. I have been doing an intervals video...with warm up its about 22 mins but once i'm done i'm sweaty and awake and its an AWESOME feeling to begin the day. PUSH YOURSELF and try it...you wont regret it!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    *bump* want to keep this on My Topics
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    Oh! Great advise!
    Now I think I can do it!
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    This has been my struggle for the past month. I've started laying out all of my work out gear next to the bed, setting the phone alarm by my head for 500a and then the main alarm for 515 so even if I hit the one, I still have to get up to get the other alarm. I find that even if I can snooze the first, I know that second ones coming so I just get up and go! Good Luck!
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    my advice...stop hitting the snooze button. Just get up, and DO IT! Not trying to come across as harsh, but set your mind to it, and make yourself get up and excercise. Guarantee you'll feel A LOT more accomplished if you do. :)

yep, the above. . .granted today, when I'm feeling under the weather and sore as heck from my workout yesterday, I wanted to hit that snooze, but I got up, and did the bike, even tho it was 5 mins less than yesterday, I made myself do it. I find that on most days(not today, probably cuz I am getting sick) it gives me more exercise to meet the day, so it's worth it