Jillian Michaels vs P90X

Options
Ok, So I've come across both of these and am wondering which is better and more worth my time. Anyone tried them?

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Personally Tony Horton for me - Jillian I can't stand...but that is just me :) xo
  • Bbjka
    Bbjka Posts: 8
    Options
    I do Jillian's workout form her book Winning By Losing and it KICKS MY BUTT! So worth it! I also have her DVDs and they are great too.....but they are shorter! I know several people who have done P90X and it is SUPER EXTREME........No for beginners! it works well but it is very very hard to do and most don't stick with it! hope this helps!
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is only 22 minutes long and kicks my hiney. I also burn 346 calories doing it. Havent done the other.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Personally, P90X. But like it was said before, it is EXTREME, just not impossible. Good thing is Tony Horton has other fitness programs that can prepare you for P90X =)
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Lol....oh boy, I'm sure you will get a TON of responses. People on here talk a lot about both products. I am currently using the P90X program and love it, I also completed Jillian's 30 Day Shred and loved it as well. In MY opinion, they both provide a great workout, to bottom line it....

~Jillian's 30DS is about 25 minutes but still kicks your butt and requires less equipment
    ~P90X is intense and lasts about an hour (in general), which suits ME better since I need more than a 25 minute workout

It's all about what will work for you and keep you motivated to continue. There have been MANY discussions about P90X, it might help to do a search and see what you find. How much time can you spare? How much money can you invest? How intense can you be? I enjoy them both!
  • Balsamine
    Options
    Either of them are a good choice worth your time, just depends on how fast/hard you're willing to work. The P90X is a bit more intensive then the Jillian plan, but both of them offer a wide variety of exercises. Depending on your location and the amount of space you have to exercise at home one or the other may be better for you-- P90X can almost be entirely done in your home, save for the walking/running portions. Jillian's routine tends to get more aerobic (more floor space needed), and she encourages getting out and away from the house to exercise. Both of them offer information on foods and eating to get your metabolism up.

My brother and I did one of each- me with Jillian, and him on the P90X. We both lost a significant amount of weight and we could eat meals with each other without worrying about 'messing up' each other's diet--which makes me think the food selection is pretty similar. He was pretty hardcore busting his bum in those first few weeks, while I was working hard, but not near like he was. Neither of us finished our collective programs, because we ended up switching. He took over doing the JM as a slowdown, and I stepped it up on the P90X.

I think the biggest difference in the programs is that JM is trying to establish habits while working the weight off and getting healthy, and P90X is a quick, but extremely effective method of doing what the JM is doing, but without the 'ease into it' period.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I've done both.
    JM 30 Day Shred - I did levels 1,2 and 3 back to back one morning. It's a great workout. Once you get advanced you don't have to limit yourself to the 20 minutes at each level. Some people on my friends list are combining the levels. I would suggest the 30 Day Shred video if you're just getting into working out. However, keep in mind that it is the same workout for each level. Also, it's a 10 dollar purchase.

P90X is extreme workout. The workouts are an average of an hour long, but most people spend that time driving to the gym. The 12 disc DVD system has a P90X Lean version and a classic version. The classic version has more weight lifting days. i lost 24 pounds my first 90 Days of P90X classic. I love the program and still do it as part of a hybrid with Insanity.

Both programs require a purchase of some weights or/and resistance bands. Also, dedication.
  • Melisha82
    Melisha82 Posts: 243
    Options
    I would recommend P90x. I am currently in my first round but I love it. I love how it challenges me and I get so excited when I'm finally able to do more than one of any of the moves lol. I am on day 19 and I have already lost 12 lbs & 14 inches!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I vote neither - Bob Harper's series is butt-kicking and amazing!!!

Jillian's dvds are ok..but the time is often off, so it's hard to budget before you're familiar with them.

The whole BeachBody cult-like thing (it certainly feels that way to me) just scares me. LOL.
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    Ok, So I've come across both of these and am wondering which is better and more worth my time. Anyone tried them?

Any exerciseis worth your time. Please dont get caught up in the east coast west cost fitness rivalry that happens so often.

How about this: If you are new to fitness, go for Jillian's DVD. After you get to the point that it becomes mundane and easy, try P90X. It all depends on the level of fitness you desire. If you just want to be slightly more fit than you are go for something more beginner /intermediate. If you want to become a fitness junkie like alot of us here get on the P90X bandwagon. Good luck.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I vote neither - Bob Harper's series is butt-kicking and amazing!!!

Jillian's dvds are ok..but the time is often off, so it's hard to budget before you're familiar with them.

The whole BeachBody cult-like thing (it certainly feels that way to me) just scares me. LOL.

Cult? lol that's funny :P
    I say people are more afraid of extreme/intense workouts than anything else. The amount of people dragged to BeachBody products or P90X in this case is because of the real results. I've seen great workouts systems out there, but somehow I haven't seen results as good as with P90X (talking about self experience though) but this is just my opinion... I'm glad to be part of the "Cult" hehehee
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm doing P90X but like Jillians yoga dvd ... that's about the only DVD I enjoy been doing it three months, still can't do level 2! haha It's fast moving yoga, so I enjoy it better than slow yoga
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Both are great- but P90X is more for people who are already somewhat fit and looking to 'push it to the next level', whereas 30DS is something just about anyone can do. Both are intense- but 30DS is 'chili pepper' intense whereas P90X is 'volcano' intense.

All depends on what you're looking for. You'll work harder, sweat more, and burn a lot more calories doing P90X- but the workouts are also longer. A really intense workout won't do you any good if you can't get through it, know what I mean?

I'm fairly fit, and I still don't think I'm quite 'there' yet. Eventually I'd like to complete the P90X program but don't think it's something I could see through right now.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Do you want to look like that cocky man or that sexy jillian?....Jillian gives it to you in 28 minutes in the shred with fast results, P90x is very long and for women you probably will get injured if doing to much jumping around!...jill is a great motivator, and her dvds dont cost that much $8-$11...p90x....$100+.......
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Do you want to look like that cocky man or that sexy jillian?....Jillian gives it to you in 28 minutes in the shred with fast results, P90x is very long and for women you probably will get injured if doing to much jumping around!...jill is a great motivator, and her dvds dont cost that much $8-$11...p90x....$100+.......
  • LWatson43
    LWatson43 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day off Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and it kick my butt and I am in the gym doing aerobics or zumba 6 days a week. However, in the 20 min I think I worked just as hard as I do when I in the gym for an hour. Good Luck on you choose and remember you do what your body can stand and not what everyone else is doing,.

I do have a question for the one that are doing Jillian how do you know how many calories you burn doing the 20 minutes Level 1 workout?