How can you burn 600 calories ??? or more

Options
2»

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I used to be over 200 pounds and could burn 800 calories in the time it now takes me to burn 300. :/
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Swimming burns about 500+ @ 30 min.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...but I've looked at training for a 5k race and even that will only be 300-400 calories.

Not sure I see what the issue is - that's going to be 600-800 calories/hour. You're in the same wheelhouse as everybody else.

If you want to burn more, run farther! :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Swimming burns about 500+ @ 30 min.

A 200 pounds swimmer would have to swim one mile in 30 minutes to do that.

Doable, yes, but the vast majority of people aren't even going to be close.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You workout hard to train your body to workout harder.

If you are simply worried about calories - try walking for an hour or two a day.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,724 Member
    Options
    i have used my ellipical numerous times and have burned 600 sometimes 700 calories in 30 min... that is what the screen reads.... i do go the full 30 degree incline and with a 16 resistance the entire time... just curious if thats correct or even possible?

I would check that with an HRM. Sounds high to me. I weigh 91 kg, and it takes me 75 minutes on the elliptical targeting a heart rate of 140-155 to burn 600 cals. I need to sprint all out for 20 seconds every 3 minutes or so to keep my heart rate in that zone.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    45 minutes on my elliptical machine set on max resistance will burn 730 calories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    45 minutes on my elliptical machine set on max resistance will burn 730 calories.

Only for someone who is very, very fit.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    That's what the machine says, using its built-in heart rate monitor, and I trust that more than I trust this site's estimates. And I'm fit enough to load, unload, haul, and stack hay bales, 100 or more, 60-80 lbs, and stack them 4 rows high.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Its all about keeping your heart rate up. I add weight during my runs and also do some light weight strength training while running. If i go hard i can keep my heart rate between 160 and 175bpm and burn 1000 calories in an hour.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    That's what the machine says, using its built-in heart rate monitor, and I trust that more than I trust this site's estimates.

We all believe what we gotta believe! But it is significantly over-estimating, all the same. :smile:

Good luck!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    That's what the machine says, using its built-in heart rate monitor, and I trust that more than I trust this site's estimates.

We all believe what we gotta believe! But it is significantly over-estimating, all the same. :smile:

Good luck!

While i agree some of the machines estimate high even when using the built in hrm, A good quality accurate hrm is going to give you the best estimate. You simply can not go by what some site tells you going just by your stats. You can be the same height as someone else but have a shorter leg length which makes you exert more energy.