Angel and the Tree Limb

Options
timisw
timisw Posts: 391 Member
~sigh~ :cry:

So, my border collie Nia sees the rabbit in the back yard. I think... OK... let Nia and Angel the aussie have their fun. Plus Mr Rabbit likes my flower garden and I figure he would provide a good chase! If he has a border collie and and aussie chasing him he might NEVER come back!

I let the dogs go on the chase with me guarding the gate.

The rabbit pretty much does the same pattern that he has done in the past... out - back - around the trees and heads towards the gate!

I play chicken with him as he is running straight for me. He cuts left, dodges right, and then pretty much jumps over my hip and out for freedom with a border and an aussie on his rear. The border makes the corner never losing a stride. The aussie misjudges the corner and pretty much up ends me. She is late so she tries to go straight at them to catch up vice going around a corner of trees and branches.

Somehow, she get caught up in a branch at 20 to 30mph. I hear a yip, but she comes back JUST fine. She looks a little in pain, but I figured it was from running into my shins.

About 15 minutes later, I heat up left overs and eat. I find a tick on me, so I decide I would give them a brushing. I am just doing Angel's ears and she is just being a squirm butt. I know she sometimes is sensitive but this is ridiculous. She is even crying every once in awhile.

I begin brushing her side and find a HUGE mat. My dogs NEVER have mats. I look at my hand and it drenched blood. I look closer and there is a tear in her fur. Raw flesh about the size of your knuckles on your fist is just open under her shoulder. I know this is going to have to get looked at. My vet closes at 6pm (its 6:05). The closest vets are like 35 minutes away. I want to be able to save her fur and not have a 1.5" by 3" scar, so I opt to take her to the emergency vet.

All said and done, I am out $350 and they had to put her out and give her 20 stitches and 3 4 staples. A huge part of her side is shaved.

She lying here with me now out. I know she is going to be hurting tomorrow. I have pain killers and antibiotics for her.

She most likely will have to wear one of those lamp shades around her neck so she does not chew the stiches. I will have to run into town tomorrow and get one if she starts chewing.

She is still oozing blood from the stitches.

What a night! All over a dumb rabbit. THey have chased dozens of small animals out of the yard before and never gotten hurt. This one was a dozzie though!

Replies

• timisw
    Options
    ~sigh~ :cry:

So, my border collie Nia sees the rabbit in the back yard. I think... OK... let Nia and Angel the aussie have their fun. Plus Mr Rabbit likes my flower garden and I figure he would provide a good chase! If he has a border collie and and aussie chasing him he might NEVER come back!

I let the dogs go on the chase with me guarding the gate.

The rabbit pretty much does the same pattern that he has done in the past... out - back - around the trees and heads towards the gate!

I play chicken with him as he is running straight for me. He cuts left, dodges right, and then pretty much jumps over my hip and out for freedom with a border and an aussie on his rear. The border makes the corner never losing a stride. The aussie misjudges the corner and pretty much up ends me. She is late so she tries to go straight at them to catch up vice going around a corner of trees and branches.

Somehow, she get caught up in a branch at 20 to 30mph. I hear a yip, but she comes back JUST fine. She looks a little in pain, but I figured it was from running into my shins.

About 15 minutes later, I heat up left overs and eat. I find a tick on me, so I decide I would give them a brushing. I am just doing Angel's ears and she is just being a squirm butt. I know she sometimes is sensitive but this is ridiculous. She is even crying every once in awhile.

I begin brushing her side and find a HUGE mat. My dogs NEVER have mats. I look at my hand and it drenched blood. I look closer and there is a tear in her fur. Raw flesh about the size of your knuckles on your fist is just open under her shoulder. I know this is going to have to get looked at. My vet closes at 6pm (its 6:05). The closest vets are like 35 minutes away. I want to be able to save her fur and not have a 1.5" by 3" scar, so I opt to take her to the emergency vet.

All said and done, I am out $350 and they had to put her out and give her 20 stitches and 3 4 staples. A huge part of her side is shaved.

She lying here with me now out. I know she is going to be hurting tomorrow. I have pain killers and antibiotics for her.

She most likely will have to wear one of those lamp shades around her neck so she does not chew the stiches. I will have to run into town tomorrow and get one if she starts chewing.

She is still oozing blood from the stitches.

What a night! All over a dumb rabbit. THey have chased dozens of small animals out of the yard before and never gotten hurt. This one was a dozzie though!
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    Aww Poor Pup , hope shes feeling better soon :flowerforyou:
  • timisw
    Options
    Aww Poor Pup , hope shes feeling better soon :flowerforyou:

She definitely is going to look funny this summer without her thick red fur on her side! ~sigh~

She didnt even want to go to the vet. I am glad that I decided to take her though!
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    :cry:

poor baby...

hope she's feeling better soon
  • BigCityKittyz
    Options
    iiiiiiiiiii.......sheeeee.....wah.....WAH! DUDE!

Give pup lot's o'.... :heart:

Hope she's up chasing durn rabbits a'gin soon!

get_well_soon_dog.jpg[/url]
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I think I'd catch that rabbit and make some stew..... for the doggies.
  • timisw
    Options
    :cry:

poor baby...

hope she's feeling better soon

Thanks Manda!

I felt like the worst parent in the world. How does someone miss a cut that is now 5 inches worth of stitches? I even had her roll on her back and checked out all of her limbs thinking that something might of been hurt.

Its always weird how those HUGE cuts never bleed as much!
  • timisw
    Options

hmmmmm... and it was a LARGE rabbit!

When it was running towards me, I was thinking - Holy Hell... this thing isnt going to stop! All I could do was thinking of the Monte Python clip of "Killer Rabbit"
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

hmmmmm... and it was a LARGE rabbit!

When it was running towards me, I was thinking - Holy Hell... this thing isnt going to stop! All I could do was thinking of the Monte Python clip of "Killer Rabbit"

I was just going to say that....... we were just talking about that last night starting with "She turned me into a newt....."
  • BigCityKittyz
    Options
    LOL! Love that stupid "Holy Grail" show.....

But man! It's craaazy how one minute you're doing something just "for fun" and then BAM....on a dime it turns into an emergency! I'm just glad you were able to find a place open!
  • timisw
    Options

But man! It's craaazy how one minute you're doing something just "for fun" and then BAM....on a dime it turns into an emergency! I'm just glad you were able to find a place open!

Ce la vie! Though, I still think its worth the risk of "having fun" and living! I wouldnt of wanted to NOT chase the rabbit with how much they love it! ESPECIALLY Nia! She is amazing!

I am glad I did too. I originally thought the fur had torn off and the cut was the shape of an L with a circle. All said and done, it was a jagged 5".
  • BigCityKittyz
    Options

Ce la vie! Though, I still think its worth the risk of "having fun" and living! I wouldnt of wanted to NOT chase the rabbit with how much they love it! ESPECIALLY Nia! She is amazing!

I am glad I did too. I originally thought the fur had torn off and the cut was the shape of an L with a circle. All said and done, it was a jagged 5".

TRUE DAT ma man! You gotta LIVE.....LAUGH.....LOVE..... :heart:

She'll be up an at em' before that rabitt can squeeze out 100 babies....LOL! (* now wouldn't that be cartoons! eeeeeesh!)
  • timisw
    Options
    Well, Day number one is almost out of the way!

Poor Puppy!

I didnt get much sleep. Kept worrying she would chew her stitches out.

She is a good camper though! I am debating on whether or not of getting her an E Collar (cone) to keep her from chewing them. But figured today I would spend it with her and manually prevent!

She is having dreams while she naps. She is either reliving the nightmare or actually catching the rabbit this time!
  • timisw
    Options
    Well, Day number one is almost out of the way!

Poor Puppy!

I didnt get much sleep. Kept worrying she would chew her stitches out.

She is a good camper though! I am debating on whether or not of getting her an E Collar (cone) to keep her from chewing them. But figured today I would spend it with her and manually prevent!

She is having dreams while she naps. She is either reliving the nightmare or actually catching the rabbit this time!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    awwww!!!! I keep hearing elmer fudd in my head sing....Kiww da wabbit!!!!!!:ohwell:

Tim you're a very good loving parent!!! we all miss things now and then...shoot if my kid was covered in fur, I can only imagine what I'd miss LOL......I'm glad she has you to take care of her!!:heart:

hope she's feeling better...you too!
    hugs!
    Ali
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Bless your Puppy's Heart Tim!

You got off easy at the vet...my Sam got into a fight with a Rottweiler who tore his thick neck skin and it cost me $800 and something to have him repaired. He healed well and I'm sure your Pup will too.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry. I hope she feels better soon. Take good care of her. Spoil her rotten!!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Poor baby. Hope she'll be up and running again soon.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Aww. Hope she's doing better today. How's she doing now?
  • timisw
    Options
    Aww. Hope she's doing better today. How's she doing now?

She is kinda moppie.

She has been hanging out under the futon. I am on - Your not allowed to lick or chew the stitches watch. I have a rolled up towel around her neck to keep her from being able to get to them. She knows already that its easy to get out of. I will have to go to Pet Smart and get an E-Collar if she does go at them. I figure one SOLID day of allowing the stitches to mend, and she will be much better off.

She gives me the... HOW did this possibly happen to me look!