baking help! substituting with healthy ingredients...

Options
hi all....i remember hearing that you can take ordinary cake and brownie mixes and make them healthier by substituting in SF applesauce and pumpkin pie filling (instead of the eggs and oil???)...does anybody know the amounts of these healthy ingredients/?i just founfda reduced sugar cake mix at the store and want to make it even healthier if i can avoid adding the oil and eggs....or if anybody has any other cake/brownie recipes that are low sugar, i would appreciate those too!!!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• FletcherChic
    FletcherChic Posts: 158
    Options
    hi all....i remember hearing that you can take ordinary cake and brownie mixes and make them healthier by substituting in SF applesauce and pumpkin pie filling (instead of the eggs and oil???)...does anybody know the amounts of these healthy ingredients/?i just founfda reduced sugar cake mix at the store and want to make it even healthier if i can avoid adding the oil and eggs....or if anybody has any other cake/brownie recipes that are low sugar, i would appreciate those too!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I think it's a 1/2 cup sf apple sauce for a cake.
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of using pumpkin pie filling instead of eggs, but I do use organic applesauce instead of oil........I use the same amount that it calls for on the package. ( 1/4 cup oil=1/4 cup applesauce) I also only use the egg whites or use a FF egg substitute instead of the whole egg.

Hope this helps!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There are lots of recepies in the forum.I have only tried the diet pop cake, 1 regular cake mix with 1 can coke zerro and viola cake. I tried the chokolate fudge cake and even my husband ( he doesn't like anything diet) ate half of it. Just look at the recepies and you will find all kinds of ideas. There is also the www.hungrygirl.com website where you can find reduced calorie recepies for restaurant foods. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You can use egg beaters inseatd of eggs and use applesauce insetad of oil. I believe you should use the same amount of applesauce as the recipe calls for oil.

http://www.hydroxycut.com/healthy_eating/healthy_cooking/index.shtml

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hey der!!! For cakes I add the same amount of applesauce as the original calling for oil...then I had a couple of "glump-glump's" more to make sure it is super moist! YUM! :bigsmile: If I use the exact amount, it has seemed dry... :ohwell: Still edible of course...I manage. :wink:

Have a great day today!

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    you can sub applesauce OR pumpkin for the fat in your recipe. use the same amount as it calls for. you can use eggbeaters or eggwhites as subs for the whole egg
  • nhoffman08
    nhoffman08 Posts: 28
    Options
    Also, you can use milled flax seed as a substituite for the fat or eggs in your recipe. 1 TBSP milled flax seed and 3 TBSP water will replace one egg. I would try to keep at least one real egg or use the equivalent in egg beaters as the flax doesn't seem to have the same "glue" power!
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    A cake mix reg size (white, yellow, lemon etc) and a 12oz can of any flavor of diet pop (rootbeer, mountdew, 7up,cola etc) mix and bake as directed. It's really good. Can top with berries &/or whip cream or just plain!!
    Good luck :drinker: !
    24167.png
  • gynuwyne
    gynuwyne Posts: 132
    Options
    This article is from vegcooking.com

Egg Replacements

There are plenty of egg substitutes available for baking or preparing a dish that calls for eggs. Ener-G Egg Replacer is a reliable egg substitute for use in baking. It is available at health food stores and most grocery stores.

Tofu: Tofu is great for egg substitutions in recipes that call for a lot of eggs, like quiches or custards. To replace one egg in a recipe, purée 1/4 cup soft tofu. It is important to keep in mind that although tofu doesn’t fluff up like eggs, it does create a texture that is perfect for “eggy” dishes.

Tofu is also a great substitute for eggs in eggless egg salad and breakfast scrambles.

In Desserts and Sweet, Baked Goods: Try substituting one banana or 1/4 cup applesauce for each egg called for in a recipe for sweet, baked desserts. These will add some flavor to the recipe, so make sure bananas or apples are compatible with the other flavors in the dessert.

Other Egg Replacement Options
    • 1 egg = 2 Tbsp. potato starch
    • 1 egg = 1/4 cup mashed potatoes
    • 1 egg = 1/4 cup canned pumpkin or squash
    • 1 egg = 1/4 cup puréed prunes
    • 1 egg = 2 Tbsp. water + 1 Tbsp. oil + 2 tsp. baking powder
    • 1 egg = 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed simmered in 3 Tbsp. water
    • 1 egg white = 1 Tbsp. plain agar powder dissolved in 1 Tbsp. water, whipped, chilled, and whipped again
    Egg Replacement Tips
    • If a recipe calls for three or more eggs, it is important to choose a replacer that will perform the same function (i.e., binding or leavening).
    • Trying to replicate airy baked goods that call for a lot of eggs, such as angel food cake, can be very difficult. Instead, look for a recipe with a similar taste but fewer eggs, which will be easier to replicate.
    • When adding tofu to a recipe as an egg replacer, be sure to purée it first to avoid chunks in the finished product.
    • Be sure to use plain tofu, not seasoned or baked, as a replacer.
    • Powdered egg replacers cannot be used to create egg recipes such as scrambles or omelets. Tofu is the perfect substitute for eggs in these applications.
    • If you want a lighter texture and you’re using fruit purées as an egg substitute, add an extra 1/2 tsp. baking powder. Fruit purées tend to make the final product denser than the original recipe.
    • If you’re looking for an egg replacer that binds, try adding 2 to 3 Tbsp. of any of the following for each egg: tomato paste, potato starch, arrowroot powder, whole wheat flour, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, instant potato flakes, or 1/4 cup tofu puréed with 1 Tbsp. flour.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    And just a note...I used canned pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't diet soda act as a leavening agent?

:huh:
  • FletcherChic
    FletcherChic Posts: 158
    Options
    thank you to ALL of you! i really appreciate the information.....i have tried the diet coke cake before and it was sooo yummy (i had to stop myself from eating all of it!!!) and i have the HG cookbook but i couldn't find any info on the substitutions....i can't wait to try out my new cake mix! yummmmmy! :laugh:
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Those new Pilsbury reduced sugar cake mixes are good! So are the brownie mixes :laugh: . I use nonfat vanilla yogurt or applesauce instead of oil (same amount as the oil) and eggbeaters. Yum!! Now I'm hungry :ohwell:
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    I'm weary of making low-fat recipes because as an avid baker, some things shouldn't be made low-fat. (For instance, cheesecake.)

Go for it if you want to - but remember the fat in some recipes is needed to bind together some of the properties and/or make other ingredients work.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've made low fat mini cheesecakes and they came out great.

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't diet soda act as a leavening agent?

Diet soda cake is AMAZING. It comes out moist and fluffy and tasty. I don't eat it often because it's a liiiittle too processed for my liking, but it's a nice treat for my bodybuilder friends' birthdays and such. You do have to knock off a couple minutes of cooking time to maintain the moisture, but I didn't notice it being an poofier than a normal cake.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have never tried or even heard of ground flax instead of egg. I use it as part of my flour 3-1 do you think I could leave the egg out as well? I already use egg white, and apple sauce. why do you simmer the flax?
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    I've made low fat mini cheesecakes and they came out great.

Recipe?
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    And by "cheesecake" i mean real cheesecake.

Not fake.

I also don't have a food processor.