• LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • hkegs
    hkegs Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi

I have just been diagnosed with underactive thyroid, iv been convinced for the last year or so that I had it because I used to be able to lose weight no problem with diet and exercise and then about 18 months ago that stopped. Now NOTHING works, if I fall off the wagon I can easily put on half a stone and then I will get back into my healthy eating exercising and it just will not budge. So finally I have been diagnosed and will be starting meds after a further blood test next week.

Just curious to know once people here with hypothyroidism went on medication did you find you lost weight with diet and exercise? I'm under no illusions that I'll still have to diet and work out hard but I just want my hard work to actually pay off!

Any first hand experiences would be much appreciated :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have just been diagnosed with underactive thyroid, iv been convinced for the last year or so that I had it because I used to be able to lose weight no problem with diet and exercise and then about 18 months ago that stopped. Now NOTHING works, if I fall off the wagon I can easily put on half a stone and then I will get back into my healthy eating exercising and it just will not budge. So finally I have been diagnosed and will be starting meds after a further blood test next week.

Just curious to know once people here with hypothyroidism went on medication did you find you lost weight with diet and exercise? I'm under no illusions that I'll still have to diet and work out hard but I just want my hard work to actually pay off!

Any first hand experiences would be much appreciated :)
    By the time I got diagnosed, my thyroid was literally strangling me, so it had to come out. I started the meds like a week before it came out, so don't really have experience being hypo on meds.

But I do have experience having no thyroid and taking meds. :)

I absolutely couldn't lose before. No matter how hard I worked, the best that would happen would be that I wouldn't gain quickly. It was a nightmare. After I started the pills, I could lose. I still have to work very hard for it! People who weigh less than me can eat more and lose at the same (or even faster) rate than I do. But. I CAN LOSE and that's all that matters.

After having my son, having that thing removed and starting the pills was the best thing that ever happened to me. :)