any triathletes?

Options
124»

Replies

• LMac423
    Options
    I must have missed this post...but I AM! I think I'm friends with a lot of you already, too! =)))
  • vegantriathlete
    vegantriathlete Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you have a nice big pool, like 50m, then it's great cos it is fun and you don't lose that many strokes overall.

I have the choice of a big 50m public pool or a 20m gym pool. If I tumble turn and push off hard in the 20m pool I'd probably only do 10 strokes each lap. LOL

I do flip turns because it adds difficulty to the laps. You have to hold your breath longer and there is a chance that water will shoot up your nose - I think all of these are useful. While it doesn't translate to open-water triathlon starts, I think it's useful to add an extra element of "difficulty" to the laps. Just my opinion though. :happy:
  • JeanK56
    Options
    First Iron Girl Sprint Tri August 2010. Will be doing Iron Girl in Racine WI July 31 and Syracuse, NY Aug 7. Then a long bike ride from Cazenovia, NY to Harrisburg, PA Aug 11 to Aug 13. Then relay the swim portion of Syracuse 70.3 Iron Man Sept 18.

I became addicted while training last year.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Just started training this year for my first sprint. Feel free to add me as I welcome all tips you can provide for a rook.
  • kaydee210
    kaydee210 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did 3 sprint triathlons last year. The first two were fine. Although I was exhausted. The third was the NJ State Tri. It was at the end of July and completely brutal. I believe it was 103 degrees. I had a panic attack on the swim, and I am still unsure why. I didn't think I would make it. But I did! The run is the toughest part for me. I signed up for the NJ Tri again this year. Glutton for punishment, I guess. I will probably sign up for the same races as last year. I've met a great group of people and would like to sign up with a team.

To those who think they can't do it...you can!
  • jesshasredhair
    jesshasredhair Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have ever had any length of "time out" for whatever reason...

Which discipline did you find hardest to get back into?

With cycling I seem to almost be able to pick up where I left off. Swimming endurance is sort of gone but not too bad. I'm struggling most to get the running back on track... :huh:
    I'm the same way. Running is hardest for me. If I had to do the 1st 2 legs of a half Iron next week, I probably could, but not the run. I did a Marathon back in 2003 and a Half a few years ago, but since then I had a road bike crash resulting in a hip injury (not broken, thankfully), and running has become much tougher for me now. I'm seriously considering power walking the run portion.

I barely moved for 6 months after my race in July 2010. Subsequently gained 10 pounds of solid fat, lol. I have recently dipped a toe in training again (for a 1/2 iron in July), but mentally it was the hardest to get back on the bike. My butt calluses were gone and it just requires a longer workout than the running or swimming.

So I'm back on the bike. Building up new butt calluses and slowly adjusting.

The swim was also hard to get back into (got in the pool today after 3 monhts off), but mostly b/c my bathing suit is tighter now.