Your Abs Are Created in the Kitchen! Really!

Options

Replies

• sbooth09
    Options
    Very true...and wonderful post! I've heard people talk about "clean eating" and never explained it, and I never bothered to ask. Thanks for explaining! :)
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Amen! It's tough to be perfect in today's world, but it's possible to do a much better job and you nailed it.

You have no idea of how often we trainers get folks coming up to us asking how they can get six-pack abs. For the folks who have weight to lose, they always seem disappointed in the answer but it has less to do with the crunches and EVERYTHING to do with getting rid of the body fat that is covering their abs up. Until they get "revealed" there's no exercise in the world that'll give 'em that look. It's so common that when someone asks a group of trainers, we almost always look at each other with that look that asks "who wants to disappoint her?" look on our face. I wish there were an easier answer, but you nailed it.

Keep your calories under control, eat healthful foods, and stay active and you'll uncover not only your abs, but that great physique that lies beneath!
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Wow... an eyeopener for sure. I try to eat healthier, but not always paid attention to all the ingredients listed. Maybe I should! Thanks for the post!
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Chalene even talks about this in one of my CLX workouts. That you can do the exercises, but that until your diet really takes priority you won't notice the changes taking place in your body. It's so true! I try to eat clean not only for myself, but for my family's health too! I plan to teach my children a different way.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean not only for myself, but for my family's health too! I plan to teach my children a different way.

That rocks. What an awesome gift to give your kids. I have to confess that I was a semi-healthy eater when my first one was young, and to date, his eating habits are about the same. By the time my middle child was young, I was eating healthier and she is the same. By the time my youngest was young, we were eating clean and she was raised that way. She has the BEST eating habits of any young adult I know. So ... it does pay off. The kids will replicate what your family does. It'll become their normal.

My dad and mother both passed early due to health conditions brought about by being overweight. I figured it out halfway through my life. My kids are getting it right from a young age. With some good hard work, and modeling good habits in the grocery store, in the kitchen and when eating out, we're gradually changing our kids "normal" and gifting them a healthier life.

Way to go.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Completely agree. None of us are perfect but I definitely make as much as I can from scratch. Soups, sauces, etc. I still rely on some "convenience" items but not many. I even make my own salad dressing these days.
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!
  • efahey
    efahey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    well said!!

xo erin
  • ggjome
    ggjome Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for that wonderful info I'm new to this site and I can see already the wonderful info thats here!
  • Amanda42657
    Amanda42657 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love this post! I honestly want to eat cleaner and I really need to start working on that. I also have a boyfriend who eats a ton of processed foods and I wish I could get him to eat cleaner as well. The only vegetables he will eat is white potatoes and black eyed peas! I would love to have corn, squash, tomatos etc but when I fix them he says he doesnt like them. Reading a previous reply about teaching children is something I think about a lot because if we ever have children they will see one thing from him and something different from me and I dont like that. Oh and about the steel oats, do you cook them the same as regular oats? Ill have to try them, I love oats!
  • jodes4401
    jodes4401 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This def sparked my interest...thanks for the post!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Food for thought...thanks!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Word to the natural herb!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I just want to add one thing - My personal rule is that not only is simple (easy to understand ingredients that are few in number) better, but the ingredients should be as closest to their natural form as possible.

Even some easy-to-pronouce, single-item ingredients can be deceptive. Take sugar (white sugar, "raw sugar" or molassas), for example - many people make the mistake of thinking these are "natural" foods, but if you learn about the process that it takes to make these (they are all products of the same process, just from different steps in the process), you'll find that they are nothing more than HIGHLY processed ingredients that start with cane sugar. I will pick raw, unfiltered honey or pure maple syrup over sugar any day! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/119250-how-sugar-is-made
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    So true! Never quite looked at it that way, although I have naturally moved toward eating higher-nutrition, fewer-ingredient foods. Neat post!
  • Truhvn
    Truhvn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    BUMP for sure!

I have figured this out late in the game and like many I am making the change to cleaner eating. I will say that it is just as hard a habit to form as exercise is, for those of us who are used to a sedentary convenience-food eating lifestyle. I haven't gotten there completely by any means but I AM trying and even the journey itself is leading to some weight loss and I find that I've never loved natural foods more than I do now! My friends think I have an eclectic palate, but really I just enjoy the flavors of all those fruits and veggies more than I do the sodium processed stuff and leaning towards eating clean has helped me get there! It may be a while before I get completely CLEAN but in the mean time making meals from scratch as much as possible with as many natural state ingredients as possible will continue to be my goal!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Saving to read when i've got some time. :smile:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Awesome post!:love:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    So this post inspired me to try the switch to REAL natural peanut butter. Ingredients: "peanuts".
    I tried it. I don't love it. YET. But I've successfully switched from instant oatmeal to the old fashioned kind and now I cant go back. Just one change at a time. :)