Your Abs Are Created in the Kitchen! Really!

Options

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Very true. I about had a panic attack earlier this week because my copy of Clean Eating magazine hadn't arrived in the mail yet, lol. I've been eating 80% clean for over a year now and it's wonderful. When I do slip up and eat bad food...I feel horrid later.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Amen, Sister!

For anyone that wants to learn more about clean eating, check out Tosca Rena's books at the library.
  • Shortyburb
    Shortyburb Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I go food shopping a good rule of thumb is to shop around the store. I rarely buy anything for my freezer anymore. I by fresh fruits instead of canned and I also cook more often than eating out. Its still a challenge to eat clean but its well worth the health to try your hardest at it. Its sad to see kids growing up on fast food instead of home cooked meals.
  • DTetz
    DTetz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I wish I could handle that... I am lost when it comes to trying to eat healthy, I am getting better but I need some CRAP in my life... *sighs* if only I was rich, I would hire me a organic cook :)
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Very true. I about had a panic attack earlier this week because my copy of Clean Eating magazine hadn't arrived in the mail yet, lol. I've been eating 80% clean for over a year now and it's wonderful. When I do slip up and eat bad food...I feel horrid later.

Yeah, I've read one of her books but I should subscribe to her magazine! Adding that to my to-do list!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    So true. Last week I had ice cream. But it was Haagen Dazs Coffee. It had 5 ingredients: Cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, and coffee. I wanted something sweet and that is what I went with. This week it will be dark chocolate sorbet from an ice cream maker.

And society wonders why our kids have all these emotional and mental issues (i.e. ADD, ADHD, etc). Maybe it could have more to do with the reactions of all the chemicals going into their bodies even before they are born. If mom has bad eating habits during the pregnancy then the fetus is getting that bad nutrition.

I have read in the last week - I think it was in Prevention Magazine - how babies are bigger than they used to be, even in the womb due to the nutrients they are getting before being born. That thought never even crossed my mind.
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    TFS
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post :)
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Great post, and spot on! I've gotten a bit sloppy lately about eating clean, and this helped spur me on again.

That said, let's face it, convenience foods are, well, convenient! For ex, if I want a pot pie, I won't go buy Marie Callender's. I'll make it from scratch. But...come on! Making the pie crust too? When I can buy a ready made crust? I have on occassion made my own crust, but it's just sooooo much extra work, when I'm already cooking chicken, cutting veggies, etc.

I guess my point is that eating cleanly is great, in theory, but very tough to put into practice. And if you eat out at all, forget about it! But I keep doing the best I can....
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I love this.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am working on it! I love to see other people here who are trying to eat well too - not just low cal or low fat!
  • dmfear
    dmfear Posts: 24
    Options
    Great post! im a full time student and I work full time so I have ZERO time to cook.. Anyone have FAST recipes? (snacks, breakfast lunch, dinner, side items for dinner/lunch or sauces etc) Thanks!! :smile:
  • ElaineDianne70
    Options
    Great post! im a full time student and I work full time so I have ZERO time to cook.. Anyone have FAST recipes? (snacks, breakfast lunch, dinner, side items for dinner/lunch or sauces etc) Thanks!! :smile:

My fast and easy snacks and meals include: raw almonds, fruit, canned salmon on a wrap, salads, etc.
  • csc101769
    Options
    I never thought about it like that either. So simple really is better :)
  • ElaineDianne70
    Options
    I never thought about it like that either. So simple really is better :)

For sure! Our bodies aren't supposed to be digesting tons of chemicals every day! :-)
  • MrX8503
    MrX8503 Posts: 67
    Options
    I can attest to that. I didn't get abdominal definition until I changed my diet. Luckily I'm not a picky eater, so I've gotten to the point where I eat for nutrition.
  • ElaineDianne70
    Options
    I can attest to that. I didn't get abdominal definition until I changed my diet. Luckily I'm not a picky eater, so I've gotten to the point where I eat for nutrition.

I agree. I'm not so picky now either. As long as it's healthy!
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Very true! And, I'm in the same boat as you were. I'm just now starting to make more clean, natural, choices. And, I tell ya, I'm much happier this way. First of all it's easier, and not as expensive, as a lot of people think. I was probably spending more on those Healthy Choice dinners and other processed foods. And, most importantly, I'm more satisfied. There's nothing like eating a healthy choice dinner and still being hungry afterwards. I still have some room to grow but I'm on the right track, and I'm wondering what took me so long. LOL
  • ElaineDianne70
    Options
    Very true! And, I'm in the same boat as you were. I'm just now starting to make more clean, natural, choices. And, I tell ya, I'm much happier this way. First of all it's easier, and not as expensive, as a lot of people think. I was probably spending more on those Healthy Choice dinners and other processed foods. And, most importantly, I'm more satisfied. There's nothing like eating a healthy choice dinner and still being hungry afterwards. I still have some room to grow but I'm on the right track, and I'm wondering what took me so long. LOL

I know, it's like we are being brainwashed into thinking the frozen or processed meals and foods are better for us - and that there is a 'quick fix' to weight loss. But amazingly enough, it's eating REAL food in the right proportions that actually gets your body back to where it's supposed to be. Probably why there weren't obese people (or nearly as many of them) 50 or 100 years ago!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

Completely agree about ease and that it's not as expensive as people think!! I make a lot of soups/chiis in the winter. Depending on the recipe, I may spend up to $20 for the ingredients for some of them. However, I'm making the equivalent of one meal a week for 2 people for several weeks. Usually comes out much cheaper, and is definitely much better for you.

It is a bit more time consuming, but I usually set aside some time on the weekends to chop veggies, make sauces, soups etc. for the week, so all I have to do is throw stuff together when things are a bit busier