Do you log fresh fruit and non cooked veggies?

Options
2»

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I log everything.
  • Dhargis
    Options
    I log it anyways, just to keep track of what I'm eating and when I'm eating it. Your body doesn't recognize WHAT calories your eating, just that you ARE eating...True that caloires and sugars from fruit and vegetables are used more efficently, and are more healthful for you (not to mention the fibre), but I"m just talking the calorie count here. Also, logging it helps YOU to keep track of how many you've eaten. I like this site because it helps me to stay honest, and logging it keeps a few things like candy to nibble on out of my mouth~ I hate to try to figure out HOW to log those so I just don't eat it...seems to help me.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Of COURSE you should log them all! But I do agree with MissMandy: I'm not so concerned whether I have 1.5 cups or 1.3 cups of raw broccoli. I can live with those mis-loggings. (Is that a word?!) BUt I do log it all, and in fact, also want reminders to myself on whether I've got in healthy servings of veggies.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I log it all. WW moved to not counting fruit and veggies to encourage people to make better food choices. But they still have calories! I eat at least 5 f/v a day at about 300 calories total. If I didn't log them I would be eating too much!

I can understand this in a way as these are good foods and the type of weight they are going to add is very much different than other foods that have sugar in them.

You're right in one sense - the sugars from fruits is broken down differently than the simple sugars in donuts/candies. BUT if you're not burning off those calories from fruit and your glycogen stores are full (so they won't be stored there), they'll turn into the same fat that the donut turns into. By no means am I saying they're unhealthy or anything, but you can't eat unlimited amounts of fruit on top of your regular calorie intake and expect to lose weight.
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yep,I log everything.I eat so much fruit and raw vegetables,that the final total would be seriously distorted if I didnt.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I log everything with the exception of spices, only because it's too hard to weigh a "dash" of this, a "dash" of that.

Weight Watchers changed their points system so fruits are now zero points. They did this so people will make healthier choices. In the past, two cookies and an apple were both counted as 2 points. Guess which one most people selected?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I log it all. Partially for accuracy, partially to help remind myself what I need to work into the daily menu. Just like I log my daily multivitamin. It doesn't have cals, but it helps remind me to take it.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Definitely.

Bananas can easily be over 100 calories. A handful of baby carrots can be around 50. I can understand WW is trying to encourage people to make better choices, but this can easily lead to people over eating without really thinking of it.

Also, if you're tracking any of the other nutrients in your diary, you need to keep in mind, fruit adds carbs, or like my spinach in my morning omelet contained protein, fiber, and believe it or not, all foods have sodium levels, even raw fruit and veg. So if that is an issue for you you'll want to be sure to log.

So far I've logged about 50 calories worth of vegetables today. And that doesn't include the amounts that are in the recipes that I've calculated in the recipe section and then logged.

Edited to add:

Logging them also helps me keep track of how much I'm including them in my diet, which is a goal I have for every day.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yep... if it goes in my mouth its getting logged period.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have recently heard that other popular weight loss plans are not doing this anymore

Maybe that's why some of us are having such a good success rate with the approach taken here at MFP and haven't had success with "other popular weight loss plans".
  • keepitoff99
    Options
    I have recently heard that other popular weight loss plans are not doing this anymore

Maybe that's why some of us are having such a good success rate with the approach taken here at MFP and haven't had success with "other popular weight loss plans".

Agree!!

Thanks for the information and your posts. Very helpful and I'm now going to record as well. :wink:
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to keep track of everything you eat. Raw fruits and some veggies have sugar and carbs in them, which are very important to keep track of, especially if you have diabetes, or are at risk/borderline diabetic. And everyone already mentioned the calories these contain. I didn't realize that these had calories, but now that I'm counting, I count everything!!!