Hope I am not the only guy on here! :)

Options
SirJFK
SirJFK Posts: 49 Member
Please don't get me wrong, I like girls too, but I know just from reading my wife's Weight Watchers mag that it seems 90% of the ppl are women. My Wife s doing the WW program and i just never could get into it. So when I recently noticed my frequently occurring struggles to do up my pants. I decided to step on a scale and it opened my eyes... 251 lbs.

I started by not eating as much and stopped evening snacking altogether and in a week was at 249.8 which while the number looks better then 251 it didn't stop my pants struggle, meanwhile my wife kicking into gear another 'Season' of WW announced she had lost 6 lbs to my measly 1.2 lbs. I had heard about counting calories and did some checking and here I am.

I don't have, well, any friends that I know of who are losing weight and my wife is a great help (certified fitness, nutritionist) but she's my wife, and I think outside help would be more help, specially those that are counting calories.

Since starting CC and MFP this week, I have also started doing the EA Active 2 workouts on my PS3 (Wanted to do th P90X workouts, but when your as inflexible and out of shape as I am I was told that its probably not a good idea) and they have been kicking my *kitten* to the point of sickness, but my wife says any 'game' that works you that hard is good. I have counted Cals and worked out all week and Wed decided to weight in and see if anythings improved and I have lost 4 lbs so far. My goal, hoping its realistic is to see 195 - 200 lbs before Aug which is when I take my family home to Alberta to see my folks and Sibs.

Anyways thats me, any help, advice, encouragement would be great.

Glad to be here

John

Replies

• Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Welcome John! Great step on coming on MFP! Wish you all the luck!
  • IndyRick
    IndyRick Posts: 172
    Options
    Yes. You're the only guy on here. :)

Seriously, welcome to the board! Glad to have you!
  • dbosh
    dbosh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Defintely not the only guy and we are all rowing the same boat. Welcome aboard.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    There are more guys on here than I ever thought, including me. Welcome to the board.
  • slick4hire
    Options
    Nope! Welcome.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, John! There are other guys using this site but I think they may be intimidated by all the women and hide in groups so you may have to work to lure them out :wink: All kidding aside, good luck on your goals and if you have any questions just ask, people here are always more than willing to help each other out! And don't be scared to friend people either as that's a good way to build up an accountability system for you (apart from your wife) to help keep you on track.
  • Toaster88
    Toaster88 Posts: 146
    Options
    I know we're in the minority, but rest assured you are not the only guy. I started at 255 lbs riding a bike 27 miles (uphill) a day, cold turkey, so I know about training while out of shape. Keep going, it may feel like it is going to kill you, but it won't!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Welcome (and you most definitely aren't the only guy here).

You goal is certainly achievable, 50 pounds in 7 months isn't too much of a stretch.
  • lwyz_smln
    Options
    While I'm not a guy... I know the woes of weight/weightloss and how a man deals with it as my husband is going through this with me as well. This is a great way to help keep you supported and motivated. Keep up on the calorie counting and the workouts. Those game workouts can be pretty hardcore sometimes! :wink: Feel free to add me if you'd like some support along the way. I'm actually trying to get my husband to join here too. Good luck and keep up the hard work.:bigsmile:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    <~~Guy. :wink:

Welcome
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I think it is a high percentage of women to men, but there are some guys on here as well.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    Welcome! - There are quite a few of us that use this site.
  • Badger1201
    Options
    Welcome! Lots of us here! Guys that is.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Smart guys hang out where there is a favorible guys/girls ratio. How do you think my wife recruits HS boys to her chior? Speaking of my wife, I hope she doesn't read this.

Welcome. This site works if you follow it correctly.

There used to be a Guys Thread in the Motivation & Support forum. Maybe I'll start another one.
  • hojo24
    hojo24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your in good company. We all want the same thing. Lose weight and get living again.
  • Pullwench
    Options
    The bachelor in me is loving the female:male ratio....

However, my fiance' may not care for it!!

Welcome to the group man...
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    If you go to the Find Members tab, you can specify Gender and find all the male friends your heart desires (?) or not.
  • jlmnk1313
    jlmnk1313 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Although I am not a guy, I am stuggling with the weightloss thing!! I am loving this site and all of the support on it and have lost 10.3 lbs in 2 weeks from just loggin ALL of my food and excercise and seeing it balance! If you would like some more support feel free to add me as a friend and good luck on you weightloss journey!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome! If you're anything like me & a lot of others on here, this thing will kinda grow on you. I started out just thinking I'd find a site that'd help me easily see what I'm putting in my body on a daily basis. I set a modest goal for losing some weight. After starting to learn what I did through the food database & the discussion boards I started making some fairly simple changes & arrived at that modest goal before I thought I would, so I made my goal larger (smaller???). Then I reached that goal & just kept going. I actually lost more weight than I thought I'd need to and decided I'd become more intense in my exercise. Over time I've just kind of realized that I really can change how I want my body to look (to an extent) and I've since completed a round & a half of P90X and done several running races. I'm currently on doctor's ordered rest for now trying to get over a sports hernia, but plan on getting back to some of routines in a couple months.

Point is this site has helped me make gradual steps forward, beyond what I ever set out to do. And I love it.

Good luck and welcome. :drinker:
  • Randallw25
    Options
    Not the only guy here for sure there are plenty of guys here. and we all have our own goals. Glad to help in any way I can. Activity is a big thing keep active and eat well and you can meet your goals.

Yeah P90X can be tough and may not be for everyone. I enjoyed the program and did well with it and was out of shape whem I started. But didnt really eat right so didnt see super awesome results, but plan on changing that for my next round starting in a couple of weeks. But other programs and ways to get results that are not as intense as P90x. Just keep your self active and you will do great.