Don't be fooled by Mcdonalds Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information I was going to try it, I have never had oatmeal before and thought this may be my first step out because of how good it look and how it sound but I think not now that I have look at the infomation you posted.

I am addicted to oatmeal - I could eat it every day. I used to eat it with brown sugar but I cut that out. I buy the Quaker rolled oats (not instant ones though). 1 cup water, 1/2 cup oats microwave 2 minutes. Then I top with chopped walnuts and ground cinnamon. Lately I have been adding wheat germ too. They are sooo good this way and very low in sugar with some protein and fiber.
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I will play the bad guy for a second...there are many things on thier 'convinient' menu that are much worse for you. So if I am in a hurry and need something quick, the oatmeal is better for me than a sausage mcmuffin with egg which is unfortunately one of the breakfast items that I LOVE, and if completely honest miss terribly. :sad: I know there are better alternatives out there but am thankful that McD's has a healthier option if that's what I have to do.

That's funny...I just typed almost the same thing lol
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I always heard that the box that the Big Mac is served in is a healthier option than the Big Mac itself. :laugh:
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Um, let's just do a reality check here. Below I compare the oatmeal/porridge version's I eat, plus the two McDonald's versions with or without brown sugar. My homecooked version uses White's organic oats and a cup of 1% milk (decadent!) and is for that reason highest in protein (which is what I want). McDonald's version is highest in sugar, but given it contains dried fruit, this is to be expected. I'm sure mine uses the least processed oats.

Both the Marks & Spencer and the Pret-a-manger versions would kick McDonald out of the park if I were to add a topping (usually fruit compote or granola are on offer). Other differences disappear if you consider portion sizes are imprecise by surely something like 15%.

My homecooked oatmeal with 2 tsp of brown sugar (adds 24 cals, 6 g carbs, 6 g sugars):
    Cals: 281; Carbs: 47 g; Sugars: 18 g; Fiber: 4 g; Protein: 13 g; Fat: 5 g; Sodium: 166 mg;

Pret-a-manger porridge cup (plain):
    Cals: 242; Carbs: 29 g; Sugars: 7 g; Fiber: 5 g; Protein: 9 g; Fat: 8 g; Sodium: 100 mg;

Marks and Spencer porridge pot (plain):
    Cals: 210; Carbs: 35 g; Sugars: 7 g; Fiber: 3 g; Protein: 8 g; Fat: 5 g; Sodium: ???

McDonald's oatmeal with topped with apples, raisins and cranberries and blended with cream:
    Cals: 280; Carbs: 57 g; Sugars: 31 g; Fiber: 5 g; Protein: 5 g; Fat: 4 g; Sodium: 160
    without brown sugar:
    Cals: 260; Carbs: 48 g; Sugars: 18 g; Fiber: 5 g; Protein: 5 g; Fat: 4 g; Sodium: 115
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying McDonalds is the BEST oatmeal out there....but if you're in a hurry, and are planning to eat out for breakfast, this is a good option.
  • InMyOwnWorld
    InMyOwnWorld Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    IMO the best "fast food" oatmeal out there is at Jamba Juice. They use steel cut oats and slice real bananas on top. I always ask to sub the brown sugar for a little splenda. Excellent if you just don't have time in the morning.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    After watching Super Size Me, I refuse to eat anything at McDonalds, even if it IS oatmeal. lol In fact, I refuse to eat anything at any fast food restaurants. The only fast food I eat is Chipotle and sometimes pizza.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    After watching Super Size Me, I refuse to eat anything at McDonalds, even if it IS oatmeal. lol In fact, I refuse to eat anything at any fast food restaurants. The only fast food I eat is Chipotle and sometimes pizza.

Pssst... McDonalds owned the majority of stock in Chipotle 1998 to 2006.
  • mdelynn01
    mdelynn01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Super size me is a ridiculous movie. If you ate Burger King or Wendys everyday for all meals you are going to have negative effects. McDonalds is not meant to be your sole source of nutrition. Its meant to be a meal here and there. I get so tired of people "blaming" fast food on weight issues. Nobody is forcing you to eat there. And I eat a southwest grilled chicken salad at least 5 times a week since I started my healthier liferstyle and have lost over 70 pounds. They are YOUR choices and not a company forcing it down your throat.
  • simplywriting
    Options
    I love that we are all very aware of this - because I have a few friends (some of which are dieting) who think eating at McDonald's in moderation is okay. Well, it is - to a degree. However, there is NOTHING HEALTHY AT MCDONALD's - NOTHING.
    Don't fool yourself into thinking that if you eat the oatmeal, a chicken Caesar salad or a fruit parfait .. that you are eating "healthy". You're not.
    Go home and make the same thing from fresh ingredients and you'll probably see half the sugar, half the sodium and half the fat of what you would get at McDonald's.
    And for the record, I absolutely LOVE McDonald's but I am not delusional enough to think that if I cave and get myself an oatmeal, salad or parfait from McDonald's that I am eating healthy. LOL
  • simplywriting
    Options
    IMO the best "fast food" oatmeal out there is at Jamba Juice. They use steel cut oats and slice real bananas on top. I always ask to sub the brown sugar for a little splenda. Excellent if you just don't have time in the morning.

I bought my own so I can do that at home now, because you're right - they are so good. I'm doing the SB diet though, so until next week - no fruit. LOL Then I'll add some berries I think.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    BLAH! McDonald's Red and Yellow = YEILD, STOP!

Too funny!
  • irishgal44
    Options
    Man, oh man, now I am worried!! I LOVE their fruit and yogurt parfaits. I wonder how much sugar might be in one of those?
  • simplywriting
    Options
    I have the McDonalds calorie facts right here (yes I'm a nerd) lol I actually have a "diet" notebook. (shh.. I'm an organizer!)
    Anyway, here's the break down

Fruit and Yogurt Parfait w/out granola - 130 calories - 2g of Total Fat - 1g Sat Fat - 0g Trans Fat - 5mg cholesterol - 55mg sodium - 25g carbs - 0g fiber - 19g sugar - 4g protein

Fruit and Yogurt Parfait w/granola - 160 calories - 2g of Total Fat - 1g Sat Fat - 0g Trans Fat - 5mg cholesterol - 85mg sodium - 31g carbs - 0g fiber - 21g sugar - 4g protein

Definitely NOT the worst thing on their menu by a long shot. Their coffee's are the worst! Not a single one has less than 39 grams of sugar with most of them between 45-55.

And don't even get me started on the food LOL
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Man, oh man, now I am worried!! I LOVE their fruit and yogurt parfaits. I wonder how much sugar might be in one of those?

21 grams of sugar in the fruit and yogurt parfait.
  • BecciL
    BecciL Posts: 49
    Options
    Just wanted people to be Aware, NOT always is what you see on the TV real , and honest , After Watching Food,Inc about a year ago it really changed my eating habits, I have had my share of fast food (especially with a hangover) but I will NEVER eat at McDonalds nor will I trust them...
    Just stay informed thats all
    And If you get a chance rent

Food,Inc (movie) It will at least challenge your beliefs and knowledge

Keep up the good work everyone !
    Becci
  • LoniS
    LoniS Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    McDonald's is so gross.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    I agree...for a fast food place...That's pretty good. Check out
    http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutritionfacts.pdf....
    And see for yourself. Don't just take what everyone tells you to believe.

I agree; no, it's not perfect, but if you're on the road or in a hurry, it's a lesser of evils.
  • sashaverlene
    sashaverlene Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    CAN YOU BELIEVE that MCDONALDS IS #8 on the list of "MOST HEALTHIEST FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS IN AMERICA"???
  • irishgal44
    Options

21 grams of sugar in the fruit and yogurt parfait.

WOW!! Thank you so much for checking that.