Ladies - How much do you lift?

Options
Hey ladies I'm curious how much do you lift? For example bicep curl - do you do 15-20 reps around 10 pounds or do you do 8-12 reps 25 or more pounds?

Replies

• mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    12 reps with 25 to start then I go up to 30 the next set, then 35 (depending on how I'm feeling, might only do 8 reps on that one)....... but I do realize I'm stronger than the average girl lol.

Generally whatever my best guy friend is doing, we figured out on all exercises I do about 20 - 30 lbs less than he does, except for back exercises we do the same weight. We figured I have a stronger back than he does because it's always supporting the weight of my boobs.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I try to do 15 reps at 10 lbs. But I'm no pro, and I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to lifting.... so, with that said... bump.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I do a bicep curl on a machine where I can do one or both arms at the same time. I do both arms together, 35 lbs, 3 reps of 12-15.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this is correct or advised but I do 5lbs and 20 reps, not big into weight training but I'm seeing results
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    My arms are the most skinny non muscle. bicep curl I started out with 5lbs. 15 reps. than 8lbs 15 reps. now I'm doin' 10lbs 8 reps. Tony Horton kicks my *kitten* now lol...I love it
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I do 3 sets at 6-8 reps. I am trying to build lean muscle mass, not just tone. I have too much fat on my arms haha its not going to tone. Plus i want to be stronger! More lean mass you have, the more3 calories you burn at rest. SO i would go high weight low reps. LIke for curles I do 25 lbs at 6-8 reps. Makes my face red and sweaty xD

Thats what my trainer is having me do anyway, He said to work on toning once I get stronger and build more
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you lift heave weights, you will build fat into muscle. You need to tone the fat down first, and then build a little muscle.
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do it the way I was taught in Body For Life, just modified since I'm not that strong right now. 12 reps at 10 lbs, 10 reps at 15, 8 at 20, 6 at 25, with a minute rest in between. When I get stronger, I'll up the weights.
  • Karmel1840
    Options
    Was told that you should lift as much weight as you can to do a certain about of weights....say you are doing 12 reps, then you need to lift as much weight as possible to do THAT many reps...
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    My workout calls for multiple reps, so I use 10# weights. Getting ready to bump up to 12.5#

I have always understood the rule of thumb to be lighter weights/more reps to tighten up, and heavier weights/fewer reps to define. Most women are just looking to tighten things up, especially when starting out. I'll work on further definition once I can actually see the muscles in my arms...although I know they are there! Also, free weights are supposedly better than machines due to increased range of motion.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If you lift heave weights, you will build fat into muscle. You need to tone the fat down first, and then build a little muscle.

You can lose fat and you can gain muscle, but fat will never "turn into muscle".
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I do three sets of 20 reps for all my weights. (Unless I'm sore and absolutely can't make it to the end.)

Bicep curls - start at 30lbs for as many as I can do, then I go down to 20lbs
    Tricep push down - 20lbs then down to 10lbs
    Bench press - 20lbs -> 10lbs
    Shoulder press - 10lbs
    Lat pull down - 50lbs -> 40lbs
    Row - 40lbs
    Fly - 25lbs

Leg press - 110lbs -> 100lbs
    Leg extension - 30lbs -> 20lbs
    Leg curl - 40lbs -> 30lbs
    Hip adductor - 30lbs
    Hip abductor - 30lbs
    Calf extension - 15lbs
    Glutes - 20lbs
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options

This is not true. Cardio will make the fat disappear and the more lean muscle mass you have will cause extra calorie burn. Weight training should be included in a weeks workout routine. It helps your metabolism. Women dont have the testosterone men do, so we are not going to get huge lifting heavy weights.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I am so worried about having Butch arms so I don't do more than 15lbs and about 3 reps of 10. I do not know if that is the right way,but between my 5lb. kettel Bell, the arm movements on the elliptical and the weights, I am starting to look better! Does your gym have a trainer?
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options

For the metabolic benefits of muscle and strength increase, it doesn't matter if the muscle is still covered in fat.

Also, fat doesn't turn into muscle. It goes down with cardio, which is why I do both.

I don't do bicep curls, though... for the exercises I do (lunges - 2 x 7 kg, deadlifts - approx 20 kg, step-ups - 15 kg, pec flies - 2 x 4 kg , bent-over rows - 25 kg, press-ups - 2 x 6 kg...), the goal is 3 sets of 8 with enough weight that the last rep is hard to complete correctly. My trainer said that if I can do two more reps (ie, 10) on the last set with good form on two consecutive workouts, I should up the weight.

I like how that makes me feel, and see progress. (Though because I've lost weight, the progress isn't always obvious, especially for lower body exercises -- I started with 2 sets of 8 static lunges with two 5 kg dumbbells; now I'm 15 kg lighter, use 7 kg dumbbells, and do 3 sets of 8 reverse lunges...).

PS: I wouldn't object to having butch arms at all, but looking into the mirror this morning, that day is far far off still.
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have lifted 25lb and 3/12 reps in the past, but I had to work up to 25lbs. I just started exercising again, so I am starting with 15lbs, but in two weeks I will increase it to 20lbs. It has been my experience that it is important to increase the weight every 2-4 weeks to see improvements. It is important to challenge your muscles to burn fat. You will not get big, unless you are taking enhancements to make that happen.:smile:
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I start out with 10lb dumbbells do 15-25 reps (depending on my goal for the day) then i'll increase my weight by 5lbs in each hand and lower my reps by five. So 10lbs-25 reps, 15lbs-20 reps, 20lbs-12-15 reps, 25lbs-10-12 reps
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

Fat is fat, muscle is muscle. It is impossible to turn one into the other.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

Sorry, but I have to point out that you build on existing muscle and "lose" fat: one does not magically become the other. However, the # of fat cells that you have is somewhat set through life. When you lose weight, you are changing the size of the fat cell, but don't actually lose them.

Great article about fat cells here http://www.lifemojo.com/lifestyle/all-about-fat-cells-382766
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    40LB dumbells and 4 sets. First two are usually with about 30lbs and 15 reps then the last two are with 40lbs and to failure.