Ladies - How much do you lift?

Options

Replies

• lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Go heavy or go home! Courtesy of Chalene Johnson. I lift heavy weights--heavy as I can handle, so that I reach failure in 10-12 reps. It's awesome, I love it. No bulk here. :D
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't use free weights but

Shoulder press 17.5kg - 38.5lb 8 reps of 10
    Chest Press 27.5kg - 60.5lb 8 reps of 10
    Pull down 45kg - 99lb 8 reps of 10
    Leg extension 37.5kg - 82.5lb 4 reps of 10
    Leg Curls 40kg - 88lb 4 reps of 10
    Ab Crunch 40kg - 88lb 6 reps of 10
    Back - 32.5kg - 71.5lb 4 reps of 10
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    This post made me realize I have no idea! :laugh:

I do a lot of functional strength training so I'm often doing lifting with my own body weight for resistance. I can tell you that I swing a 32 lb. kettlebell, I can deadlift about 100 pounds, and the last time I did a PTTP workout, I believe I had 65 pounds for the push press. (PTTP means Power to the People. That name cracks me up.)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I have always understood the rule of thumb to be lighter weights/more reps to tighten up, and heavier weights/fewer reps to define.
    That's what they have been telling us for years. Turns out it's not true!

First of all, there is no such thing as "toning". You are either building up muscle tissue or you are maintaining it (or losing it, too). Doing a lot of reps with a lighter weight is good for maintenance. But it's inefficient for building muscle tissue. The fastest way to buildup the muscles is to lift heavy weights to failure.

Then you get definition by losing fat. Body builders build up muscle first then they go into a phase they call "cutting" which just means they concentrate their efforts on lowering the body fat so you can see the muscles they built up.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    With hand weights I do 3 sets of 12 reps using 10 lbs. When I'm using the bicep machine, i can do more weight...like 35 lbs or something like that.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    This post made me realize I have no idea! :laugh:

I do a lot of functional strength training so I'm often doing lifting with my own body weight for resistance. I can tell you that I swing a 32 lb. kettlebell, I can deadlift about 100 pounds, and the last time I did a PTTP workout, I believe I had 65 pounds for the push press. (PTTP means Power to the People. That name cracks me up.)
    I'm with you. I don't really have a desire to find out because I like not hitting a crowded gym every day.
    As for the rest... 35# kettlebell for most workouts, but can do 44#. Deadlift = 181 lbs. max. Push Press = 95#, but I can only Shoulder Press about 65# (weak upper arms). Also back squat = 135 (although I have maxed out at 153).
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I have always understood the rule of thumb to be lighter weights/more reps to tighten up, and heavier weights/fewer reps to define.
    That's what they have been telling us for years. Turns out it's not true!

First of all, there is no such thing as "toning". You are either building up muscle tissue or you are maintaining it (or losing it, too). Doing a lot of reps with a lighter weight is good for maintenance. But it's inefficient for building muscle tissue. The fastest way to buildup the muscles is to lift heavy weights to failure.

Then you get definition by losing fat. Body builders build up muscle first then they go into a phase they call "cutting" which just means they concentrate their efforts on lowering the body fat so you can see the muscles they built up.

Like I said, it was just a "rule of thumb" that I had always heard. My regular routine combines a lot of core and body weight stuff as it is. Will definitely increase the weights I am using though!
  • katdog75
    katdog75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i would like to add something to the conversation. i was researching to see if the weight that ive been lifting was normal or if i should pump it up. this post really helped me realize that i am about par with the people who lift weights regularly. i would like to tell "Marber" about the ab crunch machine, using this machine will make your abs wider. it does strenghtn your abs but it makes them build out. becareful unless this is what you are working toward. ive been told this by several trainers at the gym that i have been going to. looking forward to being able to lift more & gain some definition. ive researched and it appears definition will take a few more weeks, about 8 weeks, till it starts showing.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    To answer your question - a lot.

And it doesn't matter because we all have different abilities, genetics, athletic backgrounds, etc.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Depends how heavy he is.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies I'm curious how much do you lift? For example bicep curl - do you do 15-20 reps around 10 pounds or do you do 8-12 reps 25 or more pounds?

I lift HEAVY to the point of failure by the 8th to 10th rep. You would be surprised at how heavy I can lift but everyone has different abilities. But honestly, you need to lift heavy to failure by the 10th rep. If you can get up to 20 then you're using Barbie weights.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    When I do them, which is only once a week as I usually focus on compound moves, I do 3 sets of 8 reps with 28lbs.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I am so worried about having Butch arms so I don't do more than 15lbs and about 3 reps of 10. I do not know if that is the right way,but between my 5lb. kettel Bell, the arm movements on the elliptical and the weights, I am starting to look better! Does your gym have a trainer?

You will not bulk. You do not have that much testosterone. You are not a dude. LIFT HEAVY! :drinker:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am doing my 2nd weight workout today from the New Rules for Lifting for Women. I am recovering from nerve damage and strength loss in my dominant arm so my weights on day 1 were not a lot (I don't think). I squatted with 45lbs, shoulder press with 40lbs, wide grip lat pull down with 60lbs, row with 60lbs, step ups with 30lbs.

Today i will do other exercises: deadlift with 45lbs, dumbbell shoulder press with 40lbs, swiss ball cruches with a 10lb medicine ball, and pushups (the regular way). I am hoping these weights are do-able, and maybe I will even go a little higher, but I have to be careful at first. Plus i am still sore from workout no. 1.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you lift heave weights, you will build fat into muscle. You need to tone the fat down first, and then build a little muscle.

There's no such thing as "build fat into muscle". You can lose the fat and increase your muscle mass.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Bicep curls 30 reps and 25 lbs
    Tricep (skull crushers) 30 reps at 55 lbs
    Deltoid anterior and medial dumbbell raises, 30 reps at 15 lbs
    Deltoid posterior dumbbell work, 30 reps at 10 lbs
    Bench 165 lbs 3 rep max but I did it!!! The rest is 140 at sets of 8
    Dumbbell chest press and flys (super sets) 30 lbs sets of 20
    Rows 70 lbs 30 reps
    Lat pulldown 10 lbs 30 reps
    Squats 335 lbs sets of 10
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading...
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I don't know....45 pounds for 5 rep I guess
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Chest press: 3 sets of 10 at 40 - 50 pounds (depends on if I'm using the barbell, or two dumbells or if Im doing an incline)
    Bicep curls: 30 lbs (or 18 lbs per arm)
    Tricep Press: 1 set of 10 at 30 lbs, the other two sets at 25 lbs
    Squats: 70 lbs
    Dead lifts: 65 - 70 lbs

Btw, most trainers recommend that you build to failure (i probably got the expression wrong). It basically means that you lift enough that your form is off by the time you hit your 12th rep. The idea is for your muscles to be sore, not in pain!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

I am so worried about having Butch arms so I don't do more than 15lbs and about 3 reps of 10.

Do NOT be worried...I lift heavy..heavy until I see stars heavy..I do not have butch arms