This is MFP not Facebook

Options

Replies

• marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    All stress will affect your diet; we are here to support each other. MY issue is with guys ( I am happily married) asking to friend me and leaving comments like "you look yummy" are guys trolling MFP picking up chicks? NOW THAT has nothing to do with diet; ladies agree? If my husband ever saw these comments he would reach into my computer and wring their necks! I only friend women.:heart:
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    This is laughable.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think the nice thing about MFP is the support and motivation from others. Stress affects a lot of people and can cause weight gain, overeating, lack of desire to exercise, etc. I think this is a safe environment for a lot of people to vent without feeling judged (until now, lol) and to put things on here they wouldn't necessarily post on Facebook where they can be judged by peers/colleagues/relatives/whatever. So if someone is stressed out and needs to vent about it, I don't mind giving them a little support. Better than them reaching for an extra cookie because they are so stressed out about life. I think that is what MFP is for...imho.

Maybe you should just de-friend people that you don't want to support in that manner so you don't have to see it in your news stream.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    This is laughable.

I needed a good laugh too. See posting things unrelated to weight loss DOES, in fact, help with weight loss. I burned a calorie!

I don't mean to be flippant. But it did make me laugh.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Just hide the comments, or defriend.....
    Agreed!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If you defriended them, then let it go. Don't worry about it. Because that person is still a member of the community, and your passive-aggressive post will probably make them feel bad if they see it and think, "Huh, is she talking about me?" That's not cool. This is not only a weight-loss community -- it's also a community of support.

On Facebook, someone I know is always posting negative stuff. She never posts anything positive. But you know what? I just hid her from my news feed. I didn't go passive-aggressively blasting her on FB about it to try to make her feel bad. It's her page. She can do what she likes, and I just chose not to read it. It's not that big of a deal, and it's certainly not worth trying to make her feel like crap over.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Then defriend the people who do this all the time. YOUR MFP is where you choose to do as you wish. MY MFP is where I choose to do what I wish. If I feel like talking about a migraine, then I will. If I feel like talking about my life, then I will. You certainly don't have to read it, if you really don't want to.

Some of us don't use facebook. I don't. I don't tend to post every minute of every day, but if I wanted to, that is my perogative.

I understand your point... but I don't see that there's much you can do about it, aside from either ignoring what you're not interested in, or defriending the serial updaters.

*shrugs*

what she said!!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? Could you be any more of a Debbie Downer if you tried? SOME PEOPLE use this like their FB BECAUSE we all have a common goal. I have made a great many friends on here, and they're way more supportive than some of my IRL friends on FB.

Thanks but i'll write whatever the hell I like and YOU can just quietly delete the people who annoy you.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    If you defriended them, then let it go. Don't worry about it. Because that person is still a member of the community, and your passive-aggressive post will probably make them feel bad if they see it and think, "Huh, is she talking about me?" That's not cool. This is not only a weight-loss community -- it's also a community of support.

On Facebook, someone I know is always posting negative stuff. She never posts anything positive. But you know what? I just hid her from my news feed. I didn't go passive-aggressively blasting her on FB about it to try to make her feel bad. It's her page. She can do what she likes, and I just chose not to read it. It's not that big of a deal, and it's certainly not worth trying to make her feel like crap over.

I agree 100%.

And personally, I can't stand the "I just went to the bathroom," "I just walked outside to get the mail," "I just had sex with a goat" TMI-variety of Facebook posts anyway.... but as others have stated, we have the choice not to read them.

I DO think that because this is such a warm, welcoming and yet somewhat more anonymous community than Facebook, and because weight battles can be very personal, people may just feel very comfortable (over)sharing here. I mean, here we invite people onto our scales, into our refrigerators and more... so it's a natural extension of that sort of opennesss that probably leads people to post things like that.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    . Because that person is still a member of the community, and your passive-aggressive post will probably make them feel bad if they see it and think, "Huh, is she talking about me?" That's not cool. This is not only a weight-loss community -- it's also a community of support.

excellent point!!!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    WTH!?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I did delete this person. This particualr person never posted anything about weight problems, diet etc.... I really think the person was only using it as a SOCIAL NETWORK. and Im not stressing about it I just dont understand why you would join MFP if you dont want to lose weight! Just sayin!

Not that I don't do it, but I agree with you, I've deleted plenty of people because they were using MFP like twitter, at least on FB I know those people personally, it's hard to give a crap when you don't actually know who they are...seems people are getting down on you, but I stand behind you...
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think the same!!!...I use MFP only for track my food and share my thoughts about weight loss!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I did delete this person. This particualr person never posted anything about weight problems, diet etc.... I really think the person was only using it as a SOCIAL NETWORK. and Im not stressing about it I just dont understand why you would join MFP if you dont want to lose weight! Just sayin!

In all actuality this is a SOCIAL NETWORK! .... We come here to gain support, motiviation, inspiration and so much more from this site... along that way we realize we have made FRIENDS.... and throughout that, we learn to rely on our friends through all aspects of our lives... Stress is a big factor in weigh loss.. as is your every day life!

I agree if you don't like it.. maybe your friends list should consist of one person.. YOURSELF.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Not that I don't do it, but I agree with you, I've deleted plenty of people because they were using MFP like twitter, at least on FB I know those people personally, it's hard to give a crap when you don't actually know who they are...seems people are getting down on you, but I stand behind you...

Nobody's getting down on her for defriending the person. The issue is starting this thread. What's the point of this thread, other than to make someone feel bad?
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Nobody's getting down on her for defriending the person. The issue is starting this thread. What's the point of this thread, other than to make someone feel bad?

Especially when it's a moot issue because the person was already defriended.
  • pgp_protector
    Options
    This is laughable.

I needed a good laugh too. See posting things unrelated to weight loss DOES, in fact, help with weight loss. I burned a calorie!

I don't mean to be flippant. But it did make me laugh.
    LOL :D
  • NicolaGoodyear
    Options
    It's up to you if you don't feel the need to write about certian aspects of your life but to try and dictate to others how and what they should be writing is not really down to you.

I feel you are missing the point as going on a diet and to the gym is just a part of losing weight. Things in your personnal life can have a massive impact on peoples overall health, so you can see why some people will post that sort of thing on here.

If peoples post are offending you in any kind of way just don't read them, everyone's a winner!!....:-)
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    HAY-SUS CHRISTO!

defriend me already :laugh:

MFP is set up to be a social network. I love my MFP's and all the laughs they give me through the day.

p.s. if they post and tell you i'm dirty, don't believe them :devil: