Any women doing p90x

Options
While doing this program, in addition to the workouts, do you also do another form of cardio such as the treadmill or elliptical or running? Or do you think one is already burning enough calories during the p90x workouts?

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I just started P90X this past Sunday. I plan to add runs to my schedule when the weather gets better here. However, I don't think it is necessary. I burn tons of calories doing each P90X workout. I'm only going to add running because I'm a runner and can't stand not being out on the roads. If you have a heart rate monitor, you can track the calories burned during your P90X workouts.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am about half way through. Some days I do treadmill, some days I don't. On the Yoga day and some strength days I usually add a 25 minute brisk walk. On cardio days, I usually don't.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I run and do P90X. I know many women on here add extra cardio. For me personally, I don't feel like I NEED the extra calorie burn but I'm training for a 10k so there are days that I have double workouts.
  • Janelle3927
    Options
    I'm on week four of P90X and I got bored with it so I made up my own plan. I do a P90X strength workout (Yoga, Arms, Chest, or Legs) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and cardio videos (Core, Cardio X, Plyo, or Zumba for WII) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Saturday I do Taebo 8 min workout because I have a class early Saturday mornings so I'd rather not wake up earlier then I have to on a Saturday..then after class I wanna hang out and such so I figure as long as I'm doing SOMETHING I'm good. then Sundays I might do the P90X Stretch video or I might not we'll see.. this is my first week with this plan and I like it so far only I've done Zumba in the morning every day this week then did my scheduled workout at night, only because I was so excited about starting my Zumba! Sooo all that just to say mix it up! you don't have to do exactly what it tells you unless you really want the exact results they "advertise" (for lack of a better word) And HAVE FUN!!
  • michellerieger
    michellerieger Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all your input :] i'm just trying to get it figured out with my class schedule and night classes just seem to screw everything up :[ for those of you who do fit in an extra cardio workout, do you do it right before or after p90x or during a different time of the day?
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am about to start Phase 2 of P90X....I do add extra cardio by running my my treadmill right after my P90X workout, but usually only after the stretch or yoga disk. Just because those two do not burn as many calories to satisfy me. I will, at times, add cardio with the other disks as well...if I'm not too exhausted by the end!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yup ! Tonight I start week two of P90X Lean and I'm also training for a half marathon ... Running 3 days a week and doing P90X as normal ..
  • ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have 3 days left of my first round of P90X, when I started in Nov, I would run 3-4 miles, 1-2 times a week, on days that P90X was not as strenuous of a workout (yoga/ arms and shoulders.) Since I returned back to work from being on maternity leave, I am lucky to run once on the weekends, but I power walk for 1/2hr on my breaks at lunch just about every day.
  • Serenifly
    Options
    I have 3 days left of my first round of P90X, when I started in Nov, I would run 3-4 miles, 1-2 times a week, on days that P90X was not as strenuous of a workout (yoga/ arms and shoulders.) Since I returned back to work from being on maternity leave, I am lucky to run once on the weekends, but I power walk for 1/2hr on my breaks at lunch just about every day.

How are your results? what were you before and now
  • ecp2698
    Options

How are your results? what were you before and now

I have lost about 10lbs since starting P90X.. from 160 to 150.. I have definitely toned up everywhere, my legs are more defined and stronger, I can even see some ab definition! I do have more body fat to lose, particularly in the belly area, the babies did a job on me there! I think my muscles would show even more. I am still breastfeeding, so still eating a lot of food and don’t really want to affect that, so I’m taking my time and hope to get there eventually! Looking forward to being able to run more often when all the snow goes away!
  • bakerp90x
    Options
    I am finishing up the first phase of P90X and after next week's "recovery" week I'm going to *attempt* to do doubles - just b/c I would like to speed up the process of toning up and losing weight. It's inspiring to see how many women are a. doing P90X and b. adding runs or zoomba or other cardio activities in addition to the grueling workouts.
  • Serenifly
    Options

I have lost about 10lbs since starting P90X.. from 160 to 150.. I have definitely toned up everywhere, my legs are more defined and stronger, I can even see some ab definition! I do have more body fat to lose, particularly in the belly area, the babies did a job on me there! I think my muscles would show even more. I am still breastfeeding, so still eating a lot of food and don’t really want to affect that, so I’m taking my time and hope to get there eventually! Looking forward to being able to run more often when all the snow goes away!

Congrats! 10 lbs is huge! :) The Nay Sayers say you 'can't lose weight' on P90X ! Did you do the lean? or the classic? I just started week 2 of lean. need to lose 20 lbs
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all your input :] i'm just trying to get it figured out with my class schedule and night classes just seem to screw everything up :[ for those of you who do fit in an extra cardio workout, do you do it right before or after p90x or during a different time of the day?

I added running in my first round of P90X and dropped 20 lbs. I did not add it in my second round and did not lose much but did gain muscle. I am currently doing a 3rd round, but the lean version. I know my body enough to know I have to have the additional cardio. Therefore, I threw in Insanity. Then, a friend asked me to do a half marathon with her, so I train for that 4 days a week, too.

It is easier on your body if you can split the two workouts. Do one in the AM and the other in the PM. Be sure you are consuming enough complex carbs and calories to sustain yourself. No need to stress over the numbers. Your body will let you know.
  • ecp2698
    Options

Congrats! 10 lbs is huge! :) The Nay Sayers say you 'can't lose weight' on P90X ! Did you do the lean? or the classic? I just started week 2 of lean. need to lose 20 lbs

Thanks! I have heard that about P90X, too. When I first did it, I did not lose any weight and got discouraged and quit after 9 weeks, but this time I had a better attitude about it. It is not meant to be a weight loss program, but so many lose weight as a result of it, too. I did the classic. I had lost a lot of the baby weight by running before starting, so I wanted to do the classic to build more muscle and not focus on cardio as much.. but now I want to get back into doing more cardio!
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have been reading everyone's great results on P90X. I have a significant amount of weight to lose and have been kicking around the idea of P90X. I am not an athletic person and so far do not enjoy exercising. But, whenever I see the P90X informercial I get really excited! Then I read thed wonderful results people are getting, and I know this is what I want to do. I am on here for encouragement and hopefully to posts results really soon. Will be purchasing P90X soon. Any words of wisdom is encouraged.....

3151967.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    To kmarker8245:

'm on week 9 (will start it as soon as I beat this fever I've had for a week) - and would suggest starting with something like P90 instead of P90X. It you don't enjoy exercising, the extreme element may be too much for you. I like to push myself beyond limits I though I could ever get to. I didn't get P90X until after most of my weight loss and had just completed a marathon. I see all the support for P90X, and worry that I have talked to way too many people that told me they bought it, quit after a week, or never opened it. You may try one of Chalene's programs first, if you don't enjoy exercising, I'd suggest a dance type routine or something upbeat. In P90X Tony Horton doesn't give a lot of the basics, he assumes you already know what you are doing, which could lead to discouragement or disappointment or worse yet, injury.

I have had no weightloss from P90X but a lot of toning and strength. My goal was better fitness and athletic performance, which I've seen. I run 1 day a week - and will be doing more for 1/2 marathon training once the weather cooperates better, right now its not been so great and has been really dark. My running times have improved by 2mpm on 3 mile runs. Hoping to do that on longer runs too.
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    To kmarker8245:

There are three different versions within the P90X program: Doubles, Classic, and Lean. If one doesn't seem to be working for you or you aren't happy with it, you can change it up.

If you don't care for exercising, P90X may be too much for you. You might consider Slim in 6 (by Debbie Siebers), Power 90, or 10 Minute Trainer (both also my Tony Horton of P90X). As long as you follow the nutrition plans with the program on which you decide, you will achieve great results.

I, too, am an Independent Beachbody coach. Feel free to message me with any questions or more details about any of Beachbody's fitness programs.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Third round. I also ran for extra cardio.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have dogs that need walked every day. I get home from work by 3:30, have a snack and catch up on e-mail, walk the dogs from 4:30-5:30 and push play on my P90X workout right after the dogwalk.
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    Bump