Treadmill vs Stair-treadmill ergometer, general"

Options
Good evening to all. For my cardio, I go on the treadmill. When I try to enter this in my exercise diary, by writing treadmill, I get "Stair-treadmill ergometer, general". Is this the same as a treadmill ? If not, how would you put that in ? (I'm fairly new here). Thanking you in advance for your input.

Replies

• Happy_JoJo
    Happy_JoJo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i track it under walking...that usually brings it up
  • disneymom94
    disneymom94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I record my treadmill under walking or jogging with the speed. For example, I used the treadmill tonight at a 3.5 mph speed and burned 191 calories. When you type in the time it will give you estimated calories; if you know your calorie count, then you can put in that number. Mine will adjust for times that I run then walk or increase and lower speed. Hope that helps.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Log it as walking or jogging. Stair-Treadmill Ergometer is a stair stepper machine.
  • johanneleger
    johanneleger Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. From now on I'll be able to track this better.
  • MistressV
    MistressV Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this questions because Ive been tracking it wrong too. Sure wish I had known that all this time. A little depressed now. I thought I was actually burning some calories. :(
    30 boring minutes and only 184 calories is almost not worth it and 2.5 is a Slow pace. Leisurely? Maybe for the young and fit with nimble knees. lol

Maybe its time to skip the exercise and diet crap and get on depression medication! LMAO! :laugh:
  • cstayton
    Options
    LOL I agree with MistressV !! I read your post and my husband said "did you post that?" sounds just like what I was saying as I was reading other post!! I was getting me some good eating with those extra calories from the stair treadmill!!
  • tgray69
    tgray69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was about to ask the same thing since I'm using treadmill now instead of walking due to cold and dark.
  • shanintesar
    Options
    It just started using treadmill and I m doing around 3.5mi/hr- 4mi/hr , had the same doubt when I searched for treadmill.... How many times/week do we need to do for losing weight? Any tips when using treadmill? Thanks:)
  • Mietzekatze78
    Options
    I'm glad this was shared because I couldn't think what in the world a "stair-treadmill ergometer" was!

Regarding cardio & how much you should do to lose weight: Cardio is straight calorie burn while you are doing the activity. It does improve cardiovascular health (hence cardio) but in terms of weight loss it's beneficial to you WHILE you do the activity. So walking on the treadmill at 3.5 pace for 30 minutes may burn around 75-ish calories, and that's all. If your fitness level can tolerate it, you can increase the intensity of the walk without having to increase the time or pace - just raise the incline on the treadmill. This requires your legs to work harder (think: stregnth training) and will burn more. It's recommended to do at LEAST 30 minutes most days of the week, but if you can go longer (up to an hour) you should. Here's why:

It boils down to the glycogen stored in your muscles, blood and liver. Glycogen is what is used to convert into energy. Your body has to burn through these glycogen stores before it starts to use fat for fuel, which we want to happen for weight loss. It takes roughly 20 minutes for your body to do this before it switches from burning glycogen to burning fat.

Sooo.... if you do 30 minutes of cardio, you're really only getting 10 minutes of fat burn (but 30 minutes of training your heart & lungs, important too!) To burn more fat calories, try to push yourself a little more. If 30 minutes is tiring now, try to push for 35. Also, you can break up your cardio so you don't have to do it all at once, which might help you get over 30 minutes.

Also keep in mind that you should be doing some kind of resistance training in addition to cardio. This means lift some weight of some kind, 2-3 times per week or 1-2 times if you're brand-spanking new to this whole exercise thing. :smile: the calorie burn from strength training comes AFTER the workout, when you've broken down muscle tissue and caused your body to rebuild stronger, bigger muscles. Give yourself a day or 2 to rest after strength training, too.

Laslty, remember it takes a 3,500 calorie burn to lose 1 pound. So you want to try to make a 500 calorie deficit via exercise and nutrition each day. It's not safe to lose more than a couple of pounds per week, though, so don't keep your food calories less than 1200.

Hope some of this was helpful. I'm a personal trainer after losing 120 pounds so I've done a lot of reading and studying and playing with what works or doesn't. It's a practice in consistency and it's hard. Take it one day - one workout - one meal - at a time and you will get results. :happy:
  • cjfrog
    cjfrog Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is amazingly helpful information. Thanks so much for putting this out there for all of us who are trying to improve ourselves. You should write a book. hehe. I'd buy it. :)
  • glass2diamonds
    Options
    2.5 leisurely pace maybe for some one that is 5'10" but for someone that is 5'1" that is a fast walk...I do 45 minutes in the morning and 45 at night along with running the stairs at home and work. I have recently started doing intervals on the treadmill at L1 starts at 1.0 then up to 1.5 then up to 2 and doubles from there to 4 I do this for 45 mins and it burns the same calories at walking 2.5
    It is 30 seconds at the 4.0 and a min and a half at 2.5 I love it makes you sweat.
  • tonymcgurk1
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone as I couldn't find regular treadmill & had no idea what a stair treadmill was either so I just used that in place of treadmill. I never thought to just put it in as walking/jogging.
  • tonymcgurk1
    Options
    In reply to Mietzekatze78 > Thanks a lot for this info as it is very informative & helpful. I've been trying to increase my cardio this week by going to the gym for "cardio only" workouts between my weight training days of Sun, Tue, Thur. Prior to that I was only doing 5 mins treadmill for a warm up before weight training & 5 mins exercise bike after.
  • Selena0102
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I too have been calculating this wrong. Bummer, bummer. It is good to know though, because it will get me motivated to walk longer on the treadmill. Thanks for all the great info.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Treadmill does burn more than walking outside though...... oh well. Can't they put treadmill on the site?
  • SoniaAlqedra
    Options
    I hope all people will become fit with nice bodies and good health.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Also the amount of calories burnt depend upon your weight - I burn more than my friend as I weigh two stone more than her. There are online calculators that will work out your calorie burn depending upon your weight , height etc.

Beware that on basic treadmills the calorie calculated ( if it asks for your weight etc it will be correct) will be for a standard person. My treadmill will say alot lower than my HRM ( which uses my weight)
  • Carolstone1959
    Carolstone1959 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Whenever possible I use the calories burned from the actual readout on the machine. It's not perfect but chances are it will be fairly consistent. There are so many types of machines that the general counts in this database are just guidelines. For instance the "treadelater" treadmills (with 2 belts going up and down) burn lots more calories than a single belt treadmill.

I tend to UNDER report my calories to keep myself moving but that works for me and the opposite might be true for someone else. (My husband WAY over estimates calories burned but the more calories he burns the more he wants to get back out and burn more...)

Don't be discouraged! Any movement is good! It may not have burned the calories you wanted but it moved you closer to your goal and improved your fitness level.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Get an HRM, its the best way t measure your calories no matter what our doing. Most of those machine/mfp estimates are off. :) I love the polar ft4 model :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I use the "stair-treadmill ergometer, general" in the exercise database when I use the treadmill. Since I don't go a consistent speed the entire time, I don't log it using a certain speed. I don't have a HRM, so I simply use the numbers off the treadmill. I don't know that it matters what you log it under as long as the numbers are right. :)