How to deal with the "one-upper"?

Options
13»

Replies

• viliberty1957
    Options
    A milder form of the "one-upper" is the "me, too." Everytime you have a head ache, she (he) has one too, etc. I usually just don't tell this type of person much. Why give them ammunition for the game! And sometimes my shady side wins out and I Give them misinformation just to see what reaction I get. :devil: :devil:
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I've worked with a few of them. Depends on their personalities. One I just laughed at or played the "how ridiculous can they get" game. Another I just called out, looked at him and said "Really!?!, You just have to one up everyone don't you." He got better after that, at least when I was around lol.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I read this thread earlier today and laughed so hard. Then about ten minutes ago my mom one-upped me! I realized she does it all the time! I guess I don't even think about it anymore. Lol, had to share.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Start coming up with more and more outrageous things for her to one up.

You "Oh, I had really bad toothache. I was in so much pain."

Miss Not Nice Fake Boobs "That's nothing, I had two root canals yesterday without Novocain!"

You "I climbed the local mountain recently. I was pleased that I could do it.

MNNFB "I climbed Mr Everest and gave the Sherpa advice on how to carry my bags better. They complimented me on my flawless Nepalese."

You "I think I saw a UFO yesterday"

MNNFB "That's nothing, I was probed three times last week by the green aliens, blue rock aliens, and the humanoid aliens. They asked me to be their queen but I told them that Earth needed me too much."

================

Seriously, start coming up with slightly outrageous things and right down on a piece of paper 2 to 4 things that she might say to outdo you. Keep score. Make it a game that only you can win.

Reminds me of the SNL skit with Kristen Wiig.