How much are weddings?

Options
13»

Replies

• SUPREMENOTORIOUS
    Options
    jeez!!! thats a little too much I don't expect a 10 thousand dollar ring! It would be nice, but I'm trying to be realistic...
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    jeez!!! thats a little too much I don't expect a 10 thousand dollar ring! It would be nice, but I'm trying to be realistic...

My large sparkly ring was a little over $100. I knew we could afford a real diamond, but I wanted a big honkin' thing (i love big rings!!!) so we went on QVC.com and ordered me a Diamonique ring. It's absolutly lovely and I have no regrets!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    what about the dress? or did you already have it in your closet?

I got a 2000.00 designer dress for 500.00. It was from the year before's line and I loved it! You can spend as little or as much as you want for a wedding. You can have a nice one and not break the bank...it might take a little more legwork to find the bargains, but it can be done. I have a very nice wedding and we spent less than 7000.00. I had engraved invitations and everything. We left off the free drinks at the reception and just served very nice food. Alcohol can really add to the cost and then everyone just gets drunk on your dime.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Welllll...I'm getting married next June. My ring for me was $600 (for the whole set engagement and wedding band) And it's beautiful. It's 1/2 carat and my fiance keeps telling me I should have the bigger one but I told him in the future when we are financially more stable we can always upgrade to a bigger ring on our anniversary or something (Kay Jeweler's warranty states that you can trade your ring in for a ring of more value and get the amount you paid for it off of the other ring) but to me it is the meaning behind it and what it represents not the size of the diamond.:heart: As far as his ring goes, I was looking at a ring that was like $650 and he told me just to get the band (there's one with some type of design engraved on it for $250 and he likes it better actually) For the wedding itself, I got my dress for $550 and its not one of those with a huge train but I love it....here's the link to it:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2677&prodgroup=10

(it was on sale at the time $50 off) ....BTW I bought it two sizes smaller for incentive to stick to this plan and I can now zip it all the way up...a little tight but I can do it. And I've got a year to get it the rest. they may have to take it in. With shoes, jewelry, handbag, that bra thing you use to pull it all in what a boustiette (dont know how to spell that :noway:), the slip, veil, and all other accesories for me it came out to $1100. This is the one part of the wedding I was willing to let myself splurge....but didnt do too bad. He will rent his tux so that shouldnt be bad either.

The wedding is at the church and asks for a donation. We were thinking $400-500 would be enough.

We are having our wedding at the campgrounds ($500 for the night no time limit)(his father is retired and travels in an RV they will let him stay overnight at $20 a night same with anyone else...if they drink too much no need to drive:drinker: ) And to save money we are using silk flowers as our centerpieces that we are putting together ourselves and most of the decorations we will do ourselves. It doesnt bother me to use silk flowers it saves a ton of money and looks nice. Plus can be used as keepsakes. We will use a local DJ that plays at the bar I used to go to. He's not too expensive. And his parents will pay for the alcohol...yes must have open bar...well for our family and friends anyway...:laugh: :drinker: :laugh: :drinker: I think doing our own decorations will save a lot. Luckily my parents have some friends at the town hal that will let us rent tables for a lot cheaper than usual. The thing that stinks is, I live in SC and my friends and family are in OH. The wedding is in OH. So I have to depend on them to plan most of it. We send pictures via email and stuff, but its not the same. Oh well I trust them. My parents and his parents are wonderful. And my bridal party wouldnt be my bridal party if they didnt know me well enough to know what I would like.:heart: And personally I dont care too much as long as it is romantic, looks nice, and things go well. This is about us committing ourselves to each other for life and celebrating our love. So the main thing is that we can share that joy with the people we love the most in this world, our friends and family. So far our estimate for all of this is around $7-8000 give or take a little bit. Not sure. But there are a lot of ways to cut your costs. Most of it includes do-it-yourself for decorations and party favors. My family & his family will pay for most. We will throw in what we can and pay for the rings and the wedding party gifts obviously, the invites, and thank you cards. You'll know what you want when you meet that right person and the time comes. My fiance would rather go on a great honeymoon but I want the wedding. Not so much for the dress or the cinderella thing (well a little bit *giggles* maybe) but the fact that I want my closest friends and family to share a very important time in our life. Good luck to you........
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Weddings can be crazy expensive. That's why it's good to know people :wink: I'll be all set for when Chris finally does ask me. My 2 cousins are wedding planners and they know how to go cheap without looking cheap. One of my cousins is a professional photographer. My grandma has the hookup with cake people and food people. So get in good with the right people and you'll be fine lol
  • psuastro97
    psuastro97 Posts: 125
    Options
    in a nutshell, it definitely depends on where you live and what you want.

I had the exact wedding I wanted (husband, too :laugh: ), and we paid for it ourselves. we got married about 30 minutes outside of Washington DC and it was about $23k. Would not have changed a single thing, and I do remember the evening! We had a blast - it was about 95 people and was perfect! Biggest surprise to me was how much it was per head for the reception - child's meal was $45, steak was $92 and chicken was $85....that's where the majority of the money went - to feed people!

again - don't regret a thing and we are going on our 4th year - and still as happy as the day we got married!
  • SUPREMENOTORIOUS
    Options
    I'm guessing altering dresses are an extra what???? I'm very short, do you think it is easier to have someone personally make the dress or to alter a dress after you have picked it out from a store???
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You spend whatever you can afford. To me, really, what matters is your relationship. The wedding ceremony itself is not important. I don't really think people should get in debt or spend their savings in a wedding. I think the simple the better. I would spend the money on the honeymoon rathen than the ceremony. I have witnessed too many couples spending so much money on their wedding to then divorce in a few yrs. Ridiculous!!! Sorry if I offend anyone but that is my opinion. Oh, my husband and I have been together for 20 yrs, married for 18. Our first ceremony was with a Justice of Peace, just the two of us. The second one was 10 yrs later in church and we probably spent less than $2,000. Now if you are rich or your family is rich and want you to have a lavish wedding then by all means go all out!!! :flowerforyou:
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Well, I planned my entire wedding.. Paying roughly 10,000.00 dollars.. not including my dress and hair stuff... BUT I had a family member do my cake,flowers, dj, all at cost prices.... I got a great deal on my hall due to a family member.... GOOD LUCK... YOU can find awsome deals if YOU LOOK and are PATIENCE..... NOW 3 and a half years later.. divorced... and still feeling the wrath of my ex inlaws.. BUT GOOD LUCK TO YOU... It's what you want and how you want it.. I could of easily spent way more but I had money problems like most... I wouldnt change what I did eventhough its over... JUST SO YOU KNOW. :bigsmile:
  • psuastro97
    psuastro97 Posts: 125
    Options
    I agree - you really do spend what you want, and i also agree to never go into debt for a wedding. they say money is teh main reason couples divorce. so why start with a ton of debt???

we did not go into debt - but i know plenty who did - don't make the same mistake they made!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    We managed to do our entire wedding for around $5,000! (that included EVERYTHING, even my dress)In Greenwich, Conn. TOO! (If you don't know about that town, it's a SUPER expensive community that is an easy commute to Manhattan. Kind of like the Beverly Hills of the East Coast.

SO, we had a small reception..less than 50 people and we did a lunchtime reception.....and served beer and wine..but that was it.

Anyway, I have had friends tell me I should write a book on doing an inexpensive wedding.
  • SUPREMENOTORIOUS
    Options
    I have one of those... but it was made in the late 80's early 90's and I could use an updated one
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just have to comment so that I can easily check out this page later under "my topics" to steal all you guys' great ideas about ways to keep things cheap. :wink:
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    check out indiebride.com

when i planned my $5,000 wedding, i checked it all the time for ideas.
  • debbie_010
    debbie_010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do wedding cakes and cater receptions, and of all the weddings that I have attended I think the small intimate ones were the most beautiful.

Should you decide not to do everything on your own, you can still get married on a budget if you plan early and shop around. Most vendors should be able to make your wedding special for you and your guests no matter the budget you give them. After all, it is their reputation that is on the line. I know that I want the wedding cakes that I make to look spectacular no matter the budget. I have also done a few cakes for nothing but free advertisement.

The most important thing is LOVE who you are about to marry and try to have a good time. This should be a day that you remember for the rest of your life. You don't want the only thing you remember about your special day is how stressed out you were.