Man Cave - Any Guys on MFP?

Options

Replies

• benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You're doing it for the right reason man, good for you! You'll be kicking those 20 year-old butts in no time :)
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi Man:

Welcome to The Cave; the one place on MFP where no one will complain about their TOM! Glad to have you.

You've got good motivation to get the weight off, too.:happy:
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    1. If I choose to mix it up I'll mix it up with the routine moreso than the exercises. There's a reason why presses, rows, and curls have been around for so long... because they work! There's absolutely no reason to be doing the some crazy exercise that was concocted in a Siberian laboratory involving BOSU balls and cables... seriously.

man-squat-on-exercise-ball.jpg

If you feel the need to get creative do so by changing things around like rep ranges, supersets, dropsets, or negative reps.

2. No standing rule. If I want wings, I eat wings! If I know I'm going to be eating a LOT (e.g., Super Bowl Sunday) I hit the gym that morning and have the most kickass workout I can... then I consider the food my post-workout meal. As long as your calories are in line beer and wings won't hurt or help. It's just food.

3. Not as part of my regimen but as a hobby.

4. Smoked almonds.
  • jjcunningham85
    Options
    Hey Guys,

Just stared a MAN-ONLY, 10 pound weight loss group challenge for February.

I will record weekly weights for everyone who wants to join, and post everyone's progress.

If you are interested in joining, follow this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/165909-men-lose-10-in-feb-challenge
  • jdorais
    jdorais Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Finally a Man Cave! Bump for later.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    bump - for later
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    I've been around here on and off for 18 months. You can read the details in my profile or blog. There was a Man to Man thread last year but most of the members do not seem to be active. I'm glad another one has started. There is a list of thread topics I avoid. I don't know who TOM is but he causes a lot of problems. I'm pretty much a normal guy. I have a wife (we've lost 100lb together on MFP) and two young children, career, and church commitmets. Just busy. Sports is my main form of entertainment, but I'm pretty ecclectic in my interests.

Since I'm coming in late in the game I've only skimmed the previous posts so forgive me. I'll try and keep up from here.

1. I don't have anything new for strength training. I do ST 3 times a week mixing in body weight excersises, weights, and calistinics, or whatever they're calling that stuff now. My favorite exercise is the Power Clean. It's works the whole body, and cranks the HR up. For cardio I like to run, and swim. Once the weather warms up I will bike. I try to keep my cardio and ST on different days. When I mix them together the one I do second always suffers.

2. I don't have a standing rule for the good stuff. I like to keep my out-to-eat-big-calorie meals to once a week. I used to drink beer quite a bit, But I've scaled that back to maybe once a month. I'm get tipsy pretty quick now.

3. Sports? Love them. I don't have the time to play everything I want to. I'm mostly into golf as far as participation. I'm not very good. But I have a freind trying to get me to join a league this spring. I've run in a few 5K's and such. I really like camping, hiking, & Mt Biking. Non of that is competitive though. I'm quite the Seamhead, but I haven't actually played a baseball game since HS.

4. Staple of my diet: Pork, because chicekn gets old.
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't know who TOM is but he causes a lot of problems.

Lol, you can say that again.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I don't know who TOM is but he causes a lot of problems.

Lol, you can say that again.

Yep!! When momma's not happy, noooooobody's happy!!
  • crlujan
    Options
    Hey, hey! Here we are!

Yeah... 301 days and counting. Down 65 lbs. Just gotta keep it off!
  • yotatoy
    yotatoy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So we were sitting down at lunch today and after we finished our salads my wife opened up a yogurt, now me personally and NOT a very big fan of yogurt. She ate a bit of this yogurt and said it was real good and had me try a bite. I decided it was ACTUALLY somewhat good, just missing something...

So I went to the fridge and got my own yogurt:

Meijer - Light Banana Cream Pie Yogurt, 6 oz Calories: 110 Carbs: 20 Fat: 0 Protein: 5

Then I proceeded to raid my 2 year old son's graham cracker supply:

Granny Ella's - Honey Grahams, 2 whole crackers Calories: 140 Carbs: 24 Fat: 3 Protein: 2

Crushed up the graham crackers using a bowl and my fist, added the yogurt on top, and mixed it up...

Total: Calories: 250 Carbs: 44 Fat: 3 Protein: 7

AND holy $#!+ for only 250 calories it tastes just like I am eating a massive slice of banana cream pie! It was delicious! I was so excited at this new found discovery that I wanted to share with you fellow men the joys of my life.

haha enjoy.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Wow.. Chrisdavey makes me feel like a small 6'4" man.

LOL, I'm only 5'8" 165lbs. Yes I'm a midget :P

Makes my 5'4" height all that much more intimidating.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    6' 2" here ...

This thing rocks. I'm down 8 pounds in my 1st month on MFP!! Check out my maiden voyage into the Blog-o-sphere:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/runningneo122 I called it "Running Transformation".
  • mam734
    mam734 Posts: 21
    Options
    Love the Cave....

1. I am in weight loss mode, and the weight training I do is geared towards compound movements and/or supersets. I try to stay away from isolation exercises. I want to lift, and drive my heart rate up. Rest 30 seconds and move into the next set or exercise. I am lifting 3x per week right now, for 60-70 minutes.
    Having said all that, my focus has been running. I started the c25k on 11/17/10 and graduated on 12/29/10, running a 5k for the first time. Currently I'm running 4 miles per day, 4x per week. My first race is this Sunday. I'm shooting for a sub 32:00 time. I've never ran a real race before in my life and am excited about getting a race shirt.
    Anyone else doing winter running? How do you dress when it's 15 degrees out?

2. I gave up drinking for personal reasons, and that's the best thing I did to succeed at losing weight. When I do indulge/cheat in some wings or my kryponite: Pizza, I eat in moderation, and usually hit the gym 2x that day to work off any excess.

3. I'd love to find someone to play raquetball with. Canton - LTF anyone??? I play softball during spring & summer. I've played with the same guys for 10+ years and have always been big. They're going to be pretty shocked when I show up 80+ (??) lbs light this spring! The extra sports fits into the 'do more' attitude I'm trying to carry into every day.

4. Some of my stable foods are Kashi warm cereal and egg white 'omlettes'. I use 3 egg whites, 1 egg, onion, mushroom, ham, whatever I have around, and scramble it all up. I try to make up 6-8 servings of this on the weekends and eat it throughout the week. My goto carb has become brown rice. I add fresh veggies to it, and make a meal of it. I've also gotten in the habit of soaking everything in Frank's Hot Sauce: I put that *hit on everything. Really. Bottle says 0 calories...can't beat it.

On the diet side, one of the gripes I've seen on the forums, usually written by women, are the un-supportive husbands. How many men have a supportive spouse? My wife was good when I first started, but in the last few weeks, as I've hit all-time lows in weight, it's as if she's trying to fatten me up again. The meals are less healthy, no healthy snacks unless I buy them, ect. I can deal with it, but it's frustrating!!
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    Love the Cave....

1. I am in weight loss mode, and the weight training I do is geared towards compound movements and/or supersets. I try to stay away from isolation exercises. I want to lift, and drive my heart rate up. Rest 30 seconds and move into the next set or exercise. I am lifting 3x per week right now, for 60-70 minutes.
    Having said all that, my focus has been running. I started the c25k on 11/17/10 and graduated on 12/29/10, running a 5k for the first time. Currently I'm running 4 miles per day, 4x per week. My first race is this Sunday. I'm shooting for a sub 32:00 time. I've never ran a real race before in my life and am excited about getting a race shirt.

2. I gave up drinking for personal reasons, and that's the best thing I did to succeed at losing weight. When I do indulge/cheat in some wings or my kryponite: Pizza, I eat in moderation, and usually hit the gym 2x that day to work off any excess.

3. I'd love to find someone to play raquetball with. Canton - LTF anyone??? I play softball during spring & summer. I've played with the same guys for 10+ years and have always been big. They're going to be pretty shocked when I show up 80+ (??) lbs light this spring! The extra sports fits into the 'do more' attitude I'm trying to carry into every day.

4. Some of my stable foods are Kashi warm cereal and egg white 'omlettes'. I use 3 egg whites, 1 egg, onion, mushroom, ham, whatever I have around, and scramble it all up. I try to make up 6-8 servings of this on the weekends and eat it throughout the week. My goto carb has become brown rice. I add fresh veggies to it, and make a meal of it. I've also gotten in the habit of soaking everything in Frank's Hot Sauce: I put that *hit on everything. Really. Bottle says 0 calories...can't beat it.

On the diet side, one of the gripes I've seen on the forums, usually written by women, are the un-supportive husbands. How many men have a supportive spouse? My wife was good when I first started, but in the last few weeks, as I've hit all-time lows in weight, it's as if she's trying to fatten me up again. The meals are less healthy, no healthy snacks unless I buy them, ect. I can deal with it, but it's frustrating!!

I too like to avoid isolation exercises. I'm kind of a people watcher by nature. In the hour it took me to knock out 7 different exersises of 4 sets each, these two guys managed to do 3 different types of isolation curls. I amazed at their inefficiency. But what are you gonna do?

I'm up to running 4 miles 3X this week too. I think once I get up to 5 I'll mix in some HIIT for one running day a week. Then start thinking about a longer race than a 5K. I trained for a half marathon last fall, but the Monday before the race caught a nasty virus that put me in bed for 4 days. I guess if I'm honest I'm still pissed off about that. I know had I tried to run the Half I would have ended up in the hospital.

I also run outside when it's super-cold. But not if there is snow and ice on the ground like right now. Also, I live on the prairie so the wind makes a huge difference at these temps too. I won't go if the WC is below 0. (like right now) I head to the indoor track if that's the case. This what I wear if it's below 40: Tights, gym shorts, and hiking socks with regular running shoes. Up top a long sleeve thermal shirt, hoody, baclava, thug hat, and of course gloves! If it's in the teens I won't go longer than 45 minutes.

New Favorite snack. 1 serving of Choccolate peanut butter with a banana. 275 Calories!
  • kevinbc
    kevinbc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Love the Cave....

My wife is on the weight loss journey with me
  • runningneo122
    Options
    I think, therefore I am ....... single!!
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Coming in late here, and noticed the dominance of female-oriented posting going on. Nothing wrong with numerous females on this site, but nice to have guys to compare notes with since we do have kind of different problems when it comes to weight loss or fitness, etc.

Anyway, to introduce myself: 43 years old, 6'3" 235lb (topped out at 240 before joining this site), "way" out of shape. Prior history of karate & weightlifting, but you wouldn't know it if you saw my current body shots. BMI is pretty high in the overweight category.

Joined the site on January 18. At that time I put myself on a 2K calorie diet. This past Saturday I followed that up with putting myself on P90X training. As I write this I am getting ready to go home and go through Day 5 of that nightmare.

1. Creative or unusual exercise? Right now I am trying to get back on my feet after having just started P90X (after a long layoff from any real amount of activity) so I am not doing anything too strange. Only semi-strange stuff I would do back then was to find interesting ways to push/pull weight around. I just tried to find creative ways to avoid using machines to weight train. Also I used to do some stretching I picked up from various places that normally I didn't see others do that made me feel a little wierd -- found some of them on P90X yoga last night, haha.

2. Beer, Brats, and Football -- While I don't have much time for football, and only occasionally indulge in Brats just because I don't normally find myself around them, I will not give up my beer. I certainly have a lot less time these days to have one, but when I do, I drink that thing down without an ounce of guilt. While on the subject, it's no MGD64 or bud light either -- I'm talking the heavy belgian variants now. I think I probably lose some progress or progress is slowed, but I drink in pretty heavy moderation these days so I'm not concerned. 2 beers in the last 7 days in total. Not bad.

3. Do you incorporate sports into your regimen (Racquetball, Karate, etc) - do you find it effective? Not at the moment. I will get back into Karate if I can get to the point where I can absorb these P90X workouts and be looking for more. Tennis too, as soon as the weather turns. I believe these to be effective, if you mean good for you and productive in helping with fitness.

4. What is a staple in your new diet that works well and keeps you full? Eggs help me, and yes I happily have bacon with them. Usually 3 or 4 fried eggs and a couple slices of bacon (5 slices if they are those thin microwaveable ones).
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I think, therefore I am ....... single!!

LOL, love it. me too.

mam734: Do you just reheat your omelettes during the week? Does it taste ok?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    What keeps me full is beans and meat. I keep experimenting with various chili like recipes, and some have been very good. Some . . . well . . . not so much. I have to watch sodium intake, so I have moved my cooking skills from grilling to really cooking. Even though married I cook my own meals usually as I like food spicy, but by darling wife and son (he is only five so he will learn spices are good) don't.