Is a 'perfect' body worth it?

Options

Replies

• carolinegeorgia
    Options
    I don't think it's worth it, but then I now know there is NO such thing as a perfect body, thought there was when I was a teenager but now I'm an adult I know better. I personally never say no to going out for a drink or to eat with friends, (unless I'm skint!). If I really want to eat something that's not so healthy I will, just not all the time, I understand now it's about choice on what you eat and there is ALWAYS a better option.
    I only have 3lbs to lose to get to the weight that suits me, I'm sure there are websites that say I should lose more but they don't know me..... ;-)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I guess you need to work out what your priorities are.

If it's that hard for you that in order to develop and maintain what you describe as the "perfect body" at the expense at all other, then only you can make that decision.

Personally, while it's nice to look good in a bikini, my primary goal for nutrition and training is basically for me to be healthy, strong and to have optimal functional strength. I know I can have that and still "have a life" and not come across like I've become obsessive compulsive.

You need to work out what's important to you, and maybe work out WHY it's so important.
  • Fineraziel
    Options
    I dont know what "perfect body" you are after... I looked at your profile pictures and I think you are already perfect the way you are (and would still be gorgeous with 5 or 10 more pounds of fat! :P). If you dont feel good about your image, maybe you need psychological help... (Not saying that to be mean. But hell! you cant really think you dont look good! o.O).

And if you are concerned about missing fun (ice cream, drinks, etc.), than you are answering yourself : no! deprivation is NOT worth it! :S You would be much happier enjoying little "cheats" once in a while. :) As long as the "cheats" dont become an habit and that you stick with an healthy life style most of the time. That way, you can have both : lots of fun and a stunning body! :D (Anyway, I wouldnt think abs are sexy one anyone without a pretty happy smile!)
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I posted a topic earlier today about my struggles with the last few pounds. Part of me knew it all along, but I think I know what I need to do. Being that I am close to my goal, not a lot of weight to lose, never been that small in my adult life, not 'naturally' thin, etc....I need to be close to perfect in my eating.

That is why I posted this topic in Nutrition. It is going to take, little to no dry carbs, high protien, little to no cheese, lots of veggies, no alcohol, no sugar, no little cheats here and there....we are talking egg whites, grilled chicken and broccoli for the majority of the time.

For those that are at a similar point, I ask....is it really worth it? Is it worth saying no to drinks with the girls (or guys), no to pizza night, nachos at the game, or an ice cream on a hot summer day???

Other of my friends here on MFP were just talking about becoming a little crazy about food when you get on a roll. That you almost don't want to eat anything. Or you look at a normal dinner or small portion of homemade lasagna and cringe.

I have seen people who live a closed life because their diet doesn't allow for error, but they have amazing rock hard bodies.

So it is worth it????

I stole this from another site but would probably say she's right, "As delicious as all the crappy foods can be, they don’t come close to being as fun as it is to walk around in a lean, hard, tight body and look good in any piece of clothing."
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Perfection is impossible for humans to attain, plus it is subjective; it is not the ideal I want to strive for. It's important to strike a balance between ambitious and realistic, since for many people (including myself), a huge disappointment could lead to completely giving up. That is why instead of saying "I want a perfect body", I say "I want to lose X pounds this year." If/when I hit that goal, I'll seriously reevaluate my position and see if I want to keep losing, maintain for a while, or whatever have you.

I also believe in the "90/10 rule" (or "80/20" rule, the exact numbers don't matter :smile:); if I eat well and exercise well 90% of the time, I can "slip" (or even purposely cheat) occasionally without feeling guilty or like I completely ruined my life. And slip-ups will happen, because perfection is impossible to attain.

I want something that I can live with for the rest of my life. Perhaps for some, that means trying for perfection. For me, I think "good" is better than "bad", and more available to me than "perfect".
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Nope not worth it to me.

I noticed that most of those who stated "it's worth it" are under 25 y/o.

I think priorities change as you mature. Yes, I would have killed to have a "perfect" body in my teens and 20s. But, at this age why would I deprive myself of the things I enjoy just to "look" perfect (magazine perfect). I want to "Feel" Healthy as well as Happy :flowerforyou:

I've been to 3 funerals in the last 6 months (all under the age of 50). :sad:

Just my .02
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your ultimate goal is.

Hearing from those who are seriously into body-building or maybe otherwise, without formal competition, live in a world where specific looks are key (I'd think that movie actors may fall into this, as some other performing artists), you'll of course get "of course it's worth it" as an answer. And there's nothing wrong with that choice -- as long as you're aware that it's a choice.

My own idea of where I want to end up is different. I want to end up with a lifestyle where my default choices are the healthy and fit ones -- with some checks and balances built in, such as watching how my clothes fit, what size I'm wearing, weighing myself or occasionally logging food. I certainly don't want to have to clamp down on my nutrition in the way you described, at least not without a medical reason. I also imagine my lifestyle to include exercise, such as weight training and more serious cycling. This kind of lifestyle will automatically lead to a reasonably fit body. That's good enough for me.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't think perfect exists. If I become amazingly toned there would be still parts of my body I hate.

Instead I have set a realistic goal and given myself a long time to reach it.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a great topic this has been! I am surprised how many people say no, it is actually kind of refreshing!

I believe that there is a balance as well. I already say no to splurge foods on a general basis and I make the decision of when to splurge. (I say this as I am I choking down breakfast - 1 cup of cottage cheese and blueberries. It is pretty good, but I would love a bagel right now, haha!)

And you are all right, there is no perfect and it is all in perspective. There are a lot of MFPer's that are on a long and hard journey of losing a significant amount of weight. I am lucky in that I have never had to do that. I have been this size and weight since my senior year in high school. So I know this where my body likes to be and wants to be. I am not training for any sort of competition, this is just a facinating topic and the body is amazing.

For those that it is worth, GO YOU!!! I support hat 100%, if it works for you. Once you make it your lifestyle, it is done and you probably don't think of it.

For the rest of us, I will have my cottage cheese for breakfast, chicken and spinach for lunch, chicken soup or chicken/pesto something for dinner, burn some calories at Turbo Kick, then head to camp tomorrow and have some beers with my buddies while sitting around a hole in the ice waiting for the fish to bite :-)
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    For the rest of us, I will have my cottage cheese for breakfast, chicken and spinach for lunch, chicken soup or chicken/pesto something for dinner, burn some calories at Turbo Kick, then head to camp tomorrow and have some beers with my buddies while sitting around a hole in the ice waiting for the fish to bite :-)

That sounds perfect!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    This is such an interesting topic. When I started with mfp, I made a goal of 145 lbs, but questioned if this was attainable and sustainable. Well, it was attained to my delight. But now that I am there, now I'm thinking another 5 lbs lost would be great. This last 5 lbs has by far been the most difficult. Anyway, I think the answer to the question is no. My main reason for this is because I have a 10 year old daughter. I want her to learn that moderation and health is #1 priority, not thinness and Jean size. Our children are watching us. I want to set a good example.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    HELL YEA IT IS!!!!! I don't allow for these little "cheats". Not worth it at all to me.

I've thought this way for a long time and it has hurt me more than it helped me. I went too 'nazi' about food when I need to relax and make it about me, not about educating others or freaking out when my parents invite us over for dinner in the afternoon and I don't have enough calories to allocate for that meal. It’s about making it work to live a happy life but also be ready to jump into a bikini at a moment’s notices and be happy with what you see.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Answering this question with a "no" has been the root of my weight-loss failure every time I've tried. I generally do pretty well with exercise and diet for 2 or 3 months....lose maybe 15 pounds or so...and then I end up deciding that I like eating what I want more than I like being thinner, and I go right back to my old habits. Then, after gaining the weight back, I decide that the hard work is worth it. Repeat the cycle.

To be honest, you sound more as if you were lacking a goal -- *any* particular goal to strive for -- rather than just not striving towards whatever your image of physical perfection is.

To you and the OP: I think the attraction of hanging on to your ideal is that it gives you something to strive for, to be held accountable by. The alternative is not to say "hey, I can splurge if I want to", with no clear limitation on how much splurging is ok and how much is too much. Thus the slippery slope. The alternative is to have a *different* goal and use *that* goal to hold you accountable. My current set of goals, which is constantly being refined, is a mixture of measurements (at least down to low overweight BMI range, less than 34 in waist) and behavioral (relating to exercise and nutrition).
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Good question, and one only you can answer. A little advice is in order, take it for what it’s worth. First you need to decide what “perfect” is to you, but DON’T only go by that, ask some VERY trusted friends if your idea of perfect is healthy, ask friends that you think have a good or perfect body already, fat friends will tend to say your ideal is unrealistic. The reason you want to get more then just your own input is in case your goal is unhealthy,,,,,,, eating disorders start from these unrealistic views of perfect.

Now that you have decided what perfect is, you need to decide what it ‘s going to take to get there, sounds like you kind of have already, then decide if you are willing to do what it takes. Armed with this information, weigh the pros and cons, perfect perfect means no this or that, almost perfect means no perfect but a little more of this and that,,,,, what will make you the happiest. Kept in mind you don’t want to sacrifice healthy for easy,,,,, we all have already done easy,,,,,,, and now we need healthy, and that can be a little harder.

So in closing,,,,,, strive for healthy, decide how far you are willing to go for perfect, and don’t drive yourself crazy with unrealistic/unhealthy goals.
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been very determined about their diet in the past I can understand where you are coming from and, no, it's not worth it to me. Most of the time I have the convenience of being able to stick to the regimen that I want to stick to, but what about those times when you're with friends and they all want one thing and you know there is nothing you could get that is "healthy"? Maybe a chain restaurant with nothing but processed foods. That grilled chicken that you think is a safe choice only to find out it's a mashed patty of chicken meat parts formed to look like a breast. Or you're with a group with lots of kids and they decide they want a fast food place. LOL This happened to me last weekend. We went with my BIL to his camp and took all of the kids along. On the way home they wanted to get something to eat. Thankfully they picked Wendy's, I thought for sure it was going to be McD's (I prefer Wendy's, if I had to choose). When I was younger I would have sat, and stewed, and got quietly upset, because "I'm hungry and I can't eat any of this *kitten*". I tell ya, there's nothing worse than being hungry, in a restaurant, and not wanting to eat anything they have. Or settling for the small, plain, salad and having to hear everyone tease you about it.. Or somehow creating something edible for yourself by getting REALLY specific about what you order. Those are the reasons that make me say it's not worth it. Most of the time I'm alone and free to do what I want. But, when I find myself in a situation like the ones above, I'm going to find something to eat without stressing over how unhealthy it is. Granted I'd still order the most healthiest looking thing on the menu, but I won't dwell over how unhealthy it actually is.
    Plus I'm a 35 year old mom of two boys. It's best for everyone involved if I get to have my Laughing Cow ice cream sandwiches, or whatever other "dessert" I want to have during my time of the month. The diet plan you're talking about eleminates even some of the things that I tell myself are OK to eat. It's just too strict for my lifestyle. I'll be happy with my less than rock hard body.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So my two cents on this topic.

You're talking about crossing over from maintaining your health, and improving it, to becoming "elite" in the body category. This isn't a question you can answer for someone else, only for yourself, and IMHO there's no wrong answer to it.

I've toyed with the idea of a perfect body. I'm very healthy right now, I'm athletic, I can do basically anything I want exercise wise, I'm a Personal Trainer, I play baseball all summer, I do all kinds of workouts. I can do Tabata protocol at the professional athlete level and not die after, I can do P90X in my sleep (except for the yoga, ugh, that sucks for me, I'm just not what you'd call flexible), yet I'm 37 years old, and so having a rock hard body and perfect abs is a LOT harder than it would be for say, a 25 year old. So my diet would have to be absolutely perfect every single day, and I'd have to work out a lot longer than the 45 minutes or so I do 6 days a week now.
    For me it's probably not worth it long term, but I might consider doing it for a short (100 days or so) stretch, just to see how I look and feel. I don't feel like I'm cheating if I don't eat perfect, I don't feel bad at all if I skip a day at the gym. Because I'm realistic, I know that having that perfect body is great, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the rest of my life for it. I'm not trying to win body building competitions, so I won't be devastated if my body fat % goes up 1 or 2 percent over the next year or two.

Side note, that "perfect" body, isn't actually the most healthy place for the body long term. The amount of mental stress and physical stress you put on your body with the worries over calories and the long hours working out actually take their toll on the body over the long haul. Being 85 to 90% of "the way there" is probably better for you for longevity. Stress can be a huge deal to the body, long term release of stress hormones do a number on many vital systems, there's something to be said for taking a day off here and there and letting your body and mind just "veg".
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Nope not worth it to me.

I noticed that most of those who stated "it's worth it" are under 25 y/o.

I think priorities change as you mature. Yes, I would have killed to have a "perfect" body in my teens and 20s. But, at this age why would I deprive myself of the things I enjoy just to "look" perfect (magazine perfect). I want to "Feel" Healthy as well as Happy :flowerforyou:

I've been to 3 funerals in the last 6 months (all under the age of 50). :sad:

Just my .02

THE TRUTH!! I have spent most of my life unhappy with what I saw in the mirror (and this includes when I was 120 lbs) and searching for the way to get a "perfect" body but not willing to put the right things in my body to get there. Now at 40 - I'm learning that being healthy and fit is more important than a low number on that scale. Sure, I would like to see 120 again but if I don't get there so be it. When I look in the mirror I like what I'm seeing.

If you expect perfection you will never find it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I posted a topic earlier today about my struggles with the last few pounds. Part of me knew it all along, but I think I know what I need to do. Being that I am close to my goal, not a lot of weight to lose, never been that small in my adult life, not 'naturally' thin, etc....I need to be close to perfect in my eating.

That is why I posted this topic in Nutrition. It is going to take, little to no dry carbs, high protien, little to no cheese, lots of veggies, no alcohol, no sugar, no little cheats here and there....we are talking egg whites, grilled chicken and broccoli for the majority of the time.

For those that are at a similar point, I ask....is it really worth it? Is it worth saying no to drinks with the girls (or guys), no to pizza night, nachos at the game, or an ice cream on a hot summer day???

Other of my friends here on MFP were just talking about becoming a little crazy about food when you get on a roll. That you almost don't want to eat anything. Or you look at a normal dinner or small portion of homemade lasagna and cringe.

I have seen people who live a closed life because their diet doesn't allow for error, but they have amazing rock hard bodies.

So it is worth it????

No way, not to me.
    BUT I probably should expand on that. I've been fortunate not to have had far to go to reach my goals. And I was able to do so with just a little bit of adjustment and watching what I eat. I still go out for beers & have the occasional one at home. I'll have some wings or pizza whenever the opportunity arises. But I do train hard and run alot, I know i have calories to spare at times. Could I really clamp down and go from an 8-10% body fat to 5-6%, yea. But is those extra few percent worth it to me....not a chance.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I allow myself "treats" because I KNOW I will break down if I don't. I once was very very very rigid with my diet to the point when it basically WAS an eating disorder. I was miserasble, worked out for a minimum of 3 hours a day and bashed myself for every minor pitfall. I didnt even look as good as I did when I am in marathon shape. I was thin but had very little tone. I will take a higher number on that scale and look awesome than a size 4 and nothing to show for any day
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You can't deprive yourself of things to a point that it may cause you to totally fall off the deep end. If you totally deprive yourself of things that you enjoy you may totally resent your lifestyle and start eating the way you used to. You also at the same time don't want to give into those little cheats here and there and then it become an every day occurance. As long as you portion these things and don't make it an every day occurance you should be fine!

Agreed. I've had the "perfect" body at times, and it wasn't through egg whites and broccoli alone. I had pizza probably once a week, or burgers....I drank on occasion. The occasional indulgence didn't diminish my abs of steel, because I just worked out the next day as usual and carried on. 85/90% of the time I was a great eater (although I didn't cut any one food group out all together....I still had complex carbs and a bit of dairy every day) but I splurged from time to time and it didn't impact my appearance at all. In fact I think it helped me keep going to ration out little treats.