Sorry But it's REALLLY not worth it to me!!!

Options

Replies

• katyyy1
    Options
    Another point I want to add is that eating better foods isn't JUST about losing weight and looking thinner, its about being healthier and sustaining your energy for the rest of you life.

I mainly use this site purely for tracking foods and weight but I like to read the forums to gather hints and tips. Now I know you're not doing great at the moment but a lot of it is about making healthier choices. And I know for a fact you weren't at Cici's on your own the day you ate 7 slices for lunch, so tell your mates you're wanting to make healthier choices and get them on board! Having friends and family around you that support you is massively important when you're embarking on this journey!

When I was 14 I lost 3 stone doing Slimming World and what do you know, I've put it all back on plus more in the 5 years since where I've thought "mcdonalds breakfast and a curry in the evening won't hurt!".

It's about doing it for you, so only you can change your habits. Ask whoever buys in the food in your house to get it healthy snacks and a GOOD cereal or even wholemeal bread for your breakfast as Poptarts are not healthy foods :)

Friend me if you want cos I'm only a year older so know how hard it can be to resist the foods your friends are eating :)
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    Hi,

I took a peek at your diary, and if you are willing to hear some advice: you need to change your eating habits if you are serious about losing weight. Your diet is mostly processed junk: chicken nuggets, canned soup, boxed mac and cheese, pizza, Pop-Tarts, salty snacks . . . you are setting yourself up for heartache eating that way.

These boards are full of people who would love to help you overhaul your diet and lifestyle. Just ask :)

I'm going to second what my friend here said.... are you still living at home? or are you living on your own, sometimes it's hard to know what kind of foods to purchase and how to prepare really healthy meals. I have a stepdaughter the same age as you, and I know if she moves out soon she will live on processed food too because she doesn't cook. she's actually really thin, but I cook everything at home from scratch pretty much, but aside from her home cooked meals she eats a ton of junk.

Processed foods and packaged goods are full of sodium, too much sodium makes us retain water and bloat out like crazy. If you were to add some fruit and veges to your diet you'd noticed a big difference. Instead of poptarts you could try a healthy cereal or oatmeal for breakfast or just fresh fruit and yogurt. I know at this age there is so much pressure to look a certain way and be thin, but you also need to be healthy and eat nurturing foods that protect you and strengthen your immune system.

Please don't give up, you absolutely WILL lose weight if you just tweak your eating habits a little bit.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    all the advice to eat clean is starting to tick me off! as a 17-year-old, you have only a small amount of control over your food. parents buy the food, school lunch is set (and usually pretty unhealthy) and there is A LOT of eating out.

i just want you to know that you CAN lose weight and eat exactly what you have been eating. it is all about calories in versus calories out! the guy who ate the twinkie diet proved that.

however, you can make better choices on portion control. that is something YOU are in control of.

slow and steady. slow and steady. slow and steady. you can do this!
    dawn

p.s. i really recommend the book 'made to crave' by lysa terkeurst. it is a christian book about losing weight and putting God first.
    http://www.amazon.com/Made-Crave-Satisfying-Deepest-Desire/dp/031029326X?ie=UTF8
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    wow there are a lot of posts! I hope you take the time to read through them. A lot of them cover the same topics, so I won't harp on that part.

Here's my advice that finally helped the light bulb turn on:

Ask yourself if YOU (ie the voice in your head) want to eat that horrible food or if your BODY is telling you it needs that food. Externalize "you" from your body . Your body is simply the vessel that carries "you" around. Hopefully that made sense lol

And here's my view on fast food.....why should I waste $7 on "food" that has no nutritional value that only makes me feel fat, bloated and guilty? It may be convenient, but I can spend a few extra minutes finding something else to eat.

If you're still in high school, I'm assuming you still live with your parents. My parents passed a lot of their bad eating habits to me and I was around 210 pounds by the time I graduated. My advice would be to ask your parents if you can have a cabinet or drawer in the fridge that's just for you. I like yogurt, string cheese and a cup of cereal for breakfast in the morning. But I also have a desk job and eat it at work.....I never ate breakfast in high school. There are these great Tuna to Go packs that have low calorie but tons of protein. Look around the site some. Post another topic about looking for recipes and you'll get tons of responses.

Good luck and keep trying hun! I'm here if you need me!
  • mom2ahandful
    Options
    I really hope the "lady" isn't me. I'd feel bad if I was. Anyway you need to remember losing weigh takes time and lots of work. Sometimes you wont get the results you want. For me I make sure Im on my feet all day everyday of the week. I also add in at least 30 minutes of cardio a day. I watch what I eat and NEVER go over 1250 if I didnt do anything but sit around all day. The more active you are and watching what you eat everyday will help. Don't give up! Try to find an easy workout that you like to do and stick with it :) it will see some weight loss! oh and lots and lost of water!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    all the advice to eat clean is starting to tick me off! as a 17-year-old, you have only a small amount of control over your food. parents buy the food, school lunch is set (and usually pretty unhealthy) and there is A LOT of eating out.

i just want you to know that you CAN lose weight and eat exactly what you have been eating. it is all about calories in versus calories out! the guy who ate the twinkie diet proved that.

however, you can make better choices on portion control. that is something YOU are in control of.

dawn

p.s. i really recommend the book 'made to crave' by lysa terkeurst. it is a christian book about losing weight and putting God first.
    http://www.amazon.com/Made-Crave-Satisfying-Deepest-Desire/dp/031029326X?ie=UTF8

making better choices now will pay off the rest of her life,you cant use being 17 as an excuse ask you parents to buy better food.im sure they will.and its not only how bad these foods are for you weight wise its also how bad they are for your heart and health.IT IS NOT OK TO EAT LIKE THIS!no matter what age you are.Watch supersize me and see what it did to him.
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    You might want to consider Low Carb. Just my opinion, it has been amazing for me. Go see PRAGMATICA on here...she is quite the expert.
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

dawn

This answer is sad. I'm sorry but I'm even starting to wonder if the OP is for real. We all were young and lived at home and an 18yo person can make better choices that this. Did you LOOK at her diary? No one is forcing 6 pieces of pizza for lunch and McDonald's chicken nuggets for breakfast.

She doesn't have to eat "clean" but certainly anyone can make changes to her diet! If her mom is only stocking the house with what she's eating, then I have a real problem with that. When I was younger my mother certainly would have bought something other than pop-tarts had I asked. And every public school has sandwich and salad options now.

Posts like this will just put in her head that it's okay to continue eating like this. And if that happens she will be back here in 10 years with a lot more health problems.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    also as a 17 year old you have lots of control over what you eat.Fast food say no to the nuggets yes to a salad.Its not that hard
  • godblessourhome
    Options

dawn

making better choices now will pay off the rest of her life,you cant use being 17 as an excuse ask you parents to buy better food.im sure they will.and its not only how bad these foods are for you weight wise its also how bad they are for your heart and health.IT IS NOT OK TO EAT LIKE THIS!no matter what age you are.Watch supersize me and see what it did to him.

i'm not saying to not make better choices, but the ONLY advice being given is about changing her diet.

i have watched 'super-size me' and i thought it was dumb and not a valid experiment. what most people focus on in that 'documentary' is the fact that he ate at mcdonald's and become unhealthy. what i focus on is that he UPPED HIS CALORIE INTAKE and he STOPPED WORKING OUT. give me a break.

also, it IS okay to eat like that. at any age, and especially when you are young. pizza and chicken nuggets and potato chips and poptarts are not the devil.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    if its ok how come our country is facing all the problems we are with childhood obesity heart disease diabetis just to name a few.Ive got no problem with every once in awhile.but the human body was not made to eat like she is eating.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Hi I also had a quick look at your diary since last Friday you have overeaten by 2435 calories!! it takes just 3000 calories to make 1lb of fat, Try to cut out the pizza and high calorie sandwiches, also by eating so much sugar at breakfast you are giving your body a real sugar rush and then when the sugar runs out you will be left feeling down and hungry, do you like porridge? thats slow burning and fills you up for much longer. There is no easy answer but with the right choice of food you will lose weight. My daughters are your age and both putting weight on while at university, I have suggested to them both they buy the weight watcher magazine and cook some of the meals and make small changes a bit at a time. Try to have a good week and then allow your self a small treat at the weekend.
    Good Luck on your weight loss and it will be worth it in the end
    Jackie

It takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat.:smile:
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Recording everything you eat doesn't magically make the weight disappear; it's a tool to enable you to eat correctly.

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to say about the same thing. Just because you log all the crap that you put in your body doesn't mean that it's now magically healthy and you'll lose weight. If I put that stuff in my body, I'd not only feel like crap every day, I'd be bloated, gassy and would continue gaining weight.
  • godblessourhome
    Options

dawn

This answer is sad. I'm sorry but I'm even starting to wonder if the OP is for real. We all were young and lived at home and an 18yo person can make better choices that this. Did you LOOK at her diary? No one is forcing 6 pieces of pizza for lunch and McDonald's chicken nuggets for breakfast.

She doesn't have to eat "clean" but certainly anyone can make changes to her diet! If her mom is only stocking the house with what she's eating, then I have a real problem with that. When I was younger my mother certainly would have bought something other than pop-tarts had I asked. And every public school has sandwich and salad options now.

Posts like this will just put in her head that it's okay to continue eating like this. And if that happens she will be back here in 10 years with a lot more health problems.

yes, i took a look at her diary. yes, there is room for improvement. hence the advice to watch her portion control. however, slow baby steps will be more effective for her than the flatout 'change your diet' advice she has been receiving.

first, watch your portions. see success. become encouraged. second, start being more active. see success. become encouraged. third, notice how your body feels when you fuel it better. see success. become encouraged. slow and steady.

when you chastise her about overeating pizza, what you are saying is that you have never been to a buffet and eaten 6 slices of pizza before? that is amazing! i commend you on your self-control. however, she is not doing this every day. also, you have no idea what her parents are like. at 17, i bought my own groceries. at 17, my best friend had NO CONTROL WHATSOEVER over what was in her house for food.
  • derbygirl90
    Options
    You might want to consider Low Carb. Just my opinion, it has been amazing for me. Go see PRAGMATICA on here...she is quite the expert.

I disagree w/ the low carb thing. Carbs are good for you - they help keep you full for longer. But you need to eat the right carbs. Brown rice, whole wheat bread, oatmeal etc. Avoid eating all that processed stuff. There have been some articles about this recently - I am pretty sure Womoen's Health Mag. has one on their site.

I too looked at your food diary. Just glanced, but I don't think I saw any veggies or fruits. Get on that. I know it's tough - I used to eat like that when I was younger. But I can't eat that **** now - turns to fat that takes forever to burn off. Eating healthy is soooo important. Just take a few minues forethough when grocery shopping or preparing meals. It's best to plan ahead because it's when you're tired and lazy that the unhealthy stuff is most appealing.

For instance, if you have to have mac and cheese, add brocolii (I add veggies to EVERYTHING). Or keep some hard boiled eggs in the fridge so you can grab one for breakfast if you're in a hurry. I like cliff bars but in general, I avoid meals that come out of a box, bag or can. And if I'm at work and need a snack, I go to the grocery store and get a veggie tray that people usually use for small parties - lasts me all week. Might as well start now, it will only get harder as you get older. And once you get in the habit the unhealthy stuff will make you feel like crap - it does nothing to fuel your body.

Hope this healps!!
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    ....And I will be the one to tell you that this post is RIDICULOUS...Its a waste of time to even write what you did with the food you are eating..

i think thats kinda mean...shes just a kid but that doesnt mean ANY of us have the right to invalidate her feelings...what she needs is guidance....not another bossy adult telling her what to do and belittling her.....yes better choices should be made, but i buy the groceries in my house for my kids too....no their not obese, but one is slightly overweight because of how he eats...he too is a teenager...you cant HONESTLY expect me (or anyone else here) to believe as a teenager you ate things that were GOOD FOR YOU....none of us did....yes she is in control of what and how much she eats...yes she can ask her parents to buy something a little healthier for her...should she be talked to like that? NO! thats not good for any childs self esteem...constructive critisism is key....i have always been told....say whatever you want to say, but make sure you say it with a smile on your face and respect in your voice.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of posts already encouraging you to not give up, and I agree with those wholeheartedly. Most of us are in a position where we wish that we had been as ambitious as you are to try to get our weight under control at a young age. :)

It might be helpful for you to look at some of the diaries of some other members who have had weight loss success to get an idea of what a healthy, balanced diet looks like when someone is trying to lose weight. My diary is set to public, if you want to take a peek-- sometimes it is easier to learn by example. :)

I agree with the others that you need to try to eat fewer processed foods. Try replacing the pop tart in the mornings with a banana and some yogurt. Cut out the chips and Chex mix snacks, and try for other options-- put some tuna on whole grain crackers, or eat some crunchy carrots. There are so many healthier options out there! If you are still living at home and healthier foods aren't something your family normally keep on hand, I'd suggest talking to the adult who does most of the shopping and offering to go along and help, so that you can help them make healthier decisions at the grocery store.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    :flowerforyou: nevermind
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    ....And I will be the one to tell you that this post is RIDICULOUS...Its a waste of time to even write what you did with the food you are eating..

i think thats kinda mean...shes just a kid but that doesnt mean ANY of us have the right to invalidate her feelings...what she needs is guidance....not another bossy adult telling her what to do and belittling her.....yes better choices should be made, but i buy the groceries in my house for my kids too....no their not obese, but one is slightly overweight because of how he eats...he too is a teenager...you cant HONESTLY expect me (or anyone else here) to believe as a teenager you ate things that were GOOD FOR YOU....none of us did....yes she is in control of what and how much she eats...yes she can ask her parents to buy something a little healthier for her...should she be talked to like that? NO! thats not good for any childs self esteem...constructive critisism is key....i have always been told....say whatever you want to say, but make sure you say it with a smile on your face and respect in your voice.

Second this..

OP - remember that at the very least you have had a great eye opener in that you have logged your calories and are now seeing what you truly eat on a regular basis. When I was a senior in highschool (assuming here that you are...) I fell the peer pressure and ate what the other kids ate too - fries and pizza. It isn't easy. But now that you are seeing what you are eating isn't necessarily great for you, perhaps you can consider changing one meal at a time over to something healthier? And if your choices are limited due to what you have at home, then try to plan out a whole days worth of meals with what you have available to you and make it work that way.
    Take small steps. You've done the first big one by logging what you are eating. Now take the second and change up a meal or two. You can do it!
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Second this..

OP - remember that at the very least you have had a great eye opener in that you have logged your calories and are now seeing what you truly eat on a regular basis. When I was a senior in highschool (assuming here that you are...) I fell the peer pressure and ate what the other kids ate too - fries and pizza. It isn't easy. But now that you are seeing what you are eating isn't necessarily great for you, perhaps you can consider changing one meal at a time over to something healthier? And if your choices are limited due to what you have at home, then try to plan out a whole days worth of meals with what you have available to you and make it work that way.
    Take small steps. You've done the first big one by logging what you are eating. Now take the second and change up a meal or two. You can do it!

honestly what lace says here is true sweetie....i didnt realize how much i was hurting myself until i looked at how LARGE the calorie numbers on things were....sa my beloved mocha frappe....delish yes, but not worth the 470 cal's...that would be half my intake for the day! maybe you cant control what foods your parents buy, but you can control what goes in your body