Giving up?

Options
I don't really get it when people post that they're giving up. To a point, I do. It's hard. You get tired. Potato chips taste better than broccoli.

But when you say you're giving up, you're really saying that being fat and unhealthy is what you want. "I give up. I'm going to gain back all that weight that I lost and give up all that hard work and yeah, I'll feel really great then! That's what I want! To be fat, unhealthy, sick, powerless, depressed, unsuccessful, out of breath, in pain, made fun of, embarrassed, dreadful of bathing suit season. THAT'S my dream. Sounds great doesn't it?"

I just get frustrated when people are here for two weeks and say "I give up, it's too hard" blah blah blah. Suck it up.

Yes, it is hard. But being fat is much harder.

Replies

• hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you... drives me crazy! How can you give up on a chance of being healthy?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's hard, especially in the beginning, but if you never challenge yourself, you're selling yourself short.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Agreed! If people are giving up it means they don't want it enough.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! GREAT POST!

The thing about it is that once you get started, yea it's hard @ first but after a couple of weeks @ it, it becomes an addiction.

I was a fat kid growin up, no I don't worry bout gainin weight, bc I haven't gain anything that doesn't come right back off in over 2 years. I love to workout. It's a natural high for me. I wish I would have started when I was goin into high school then I wouldn't be dealin with the after mess of having to try and tighten up my loose skin.

But everyone needs to exercise, and if ppl would stick with it, they'd love it!
  • twodeals
    twodeals Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    don't think i will ever love it, but i know that i have to do it. ha
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! GREAT POST!

The thing about it is that once you get started, yea it's hard @ first but after a couple of weeks @ it, it becomes an addiction.

I was a fat kid growin up, no I don't worry bout gainin weight, bc I haven't gain anything that doesn't come right back off in over 2 years. I love to workout. It's a natural high for me. I wish I would have started when I was goin into high school then I wouldn't be dealin with the after mess of having to try and tighten up my loose skin.

But everyone needs to exercise, and if ppl would stick with it, they'd love it!

Same here! I wish I had done this in high school...life surely would've been different today.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I agree. I especially find it more so frustrating when you look at their food journal to try and help and find out they are eating junk all day. They act like they have done everything possible and it's just them.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Those that say that are just crying out for help. If they really were giving up they wouldn't long on just to say that they weren't ever going to log on a site again.
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I certainly can understand giving up. People set expectations too high or don't find realistic goals for themselves; people burn out after a lot of hard work for what they perceive as little payoff; other parts of life get bad, and taking care of oneself gets put on the back burner.

No one is perfect and it's hard to make permanent changes. It's worth it, but it's damn hard. If it was easy to live a healthy lifestyle, none of us would need to be here in the first place.

The best we can do is offer support, and hope people are just frustrated and don't really mean that they want to give up.
  • Paigergirl
    Paigergirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Toots...Thanks for the post. I'm just getting started..actually have not even started yet...I'm just getting used to this site, and plan to start on Monday as far as working out. Anyway, your words are inspirational. I've always failed in my past attempts to loose weight and get in shape, but I am determined this time. I was looking at your profile, and it seems like I'm alot like you. I'm currently 238 lbs. Do you have any words of wisdom for me as I get started on my journey?
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Those that say that are just crying out for help. If they really were giving up they wouldn't long on just to say that they weren't ever going to log on a site again.
    Exactly what I was going to say. Crying out for help and attention. The ones that really want it will do whatever it takes.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

I agree 10000000000%
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly...they want someone to talk them out of giving up.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I have to agree. While it can be irritating to read someone saying "this isn't working, I'm quitting" I think it is basically a cry for help without actually having to ask for help.

Don't forget: a lot of people may feel uncomfortable coming straight out and saying to a bunch of complete strangers "can someone help me".

I know I never asked for help (even when I needed it), I just trawled through every post on the forum because I always reckoned that someone else would have asked it before and the answer was there somewhere.
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Great post Toots!! I agree with Odan!! It's sad when someone "says" that. You know they don't REALLY WANT to give up but they are struggling so hard and maybe don't have good support near to them, or even have loved ones that criticize what they are doing:( Some people don't want to see others succeed and be healthy as sad as that is I know some people have to deal with that, it is so wrong. Great post toots, great responses too!

Julie
  • tvanderberg
    Options
    I love your post and my nickname is TOOTS also...
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If people are giving up it means they don't want it enough.

I strongly disagree with this notion, and I think it's potentially harmful. Losing weight is a fight against our bodies and our brains, which are wired to gain and keep weight on, not lose it. Sometimes people don't understand what is necessary to make changes, or they set incredibly unrealistic goals (like losing 100lbs in 6 months). It doesn't mean they "don't want it enough". It means they probably don't have the right information/tools/support/whatever to make their lifestyle changes. Being judgmental of them is not going to help them in their journey.
  • csc101769
    Options
    I thought the whole point of this site was to be in a group of SUPPORTERS. If we can't support each other, then what are we doing here? Everybody struggles from time to time :)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole point of this site was to be in a group of SUPPORTERS. If we can't support each other, then what are we doing here? Everybody struggles from time to time :)

Yes, everyone struggles. That was the point of my post. People need to not give up and make more of an effort to educate themselves. I don't want people to give up. I want them to fight through it. But I'm more of a tough love type of person when it comes to fitness. I coddled myself for too many years and look where it got me. If you want it badly enough, you'll do it. It might take a while, and what works for others might not work for you. Or it might work for you later on down the road. I think if *I* can do it, anyone can. I went from 249 lbs, binge eating in secret, to losing 77 lbs (65 of them here at MFP), and continuing to lose more. You've gotta change your mindset. Learn to deal with life's ups and downs. You'll be SO much happier in the end than if you had given up.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I always say "If it wasn't hard it wouldn't be worth it."