Heart Rate Monitors?

puddle140
puddle140 Posts: 13
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm looking into getting a heart rate monitor and I want to know opinions on which is the best one, where to get them, and how much $?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Polar F6 by far the best! (IMHO)

if not then look for:
    chest strap is a must
    one that shows you HR, Max HR and calories burned.

I love the feature on mine that shows me what I have done for the week, month and I think it goes back 6 months. It is supposed to sink with the computer, but I was never able to do so, but that was not important to me.

I wasted money on a couple before I heard about the F6 and other Polar products. Even my trainer has one:wink:
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    I've been checking them too.
    They are a little pricey...
    I'm torn between the Polar FT40...and the Polar FT60.
    Amazon has them both for a good price.
    Any problems wearing the chest strap?
    Thanks.
    Blue
  • I agree with the Polar F6! Chest strap is comfortable and it is coded so it won't interfere with or get interference from other HRMs. Also, at my gym (and I have read most others) all of the cardio machines link up to Polar so I can see my heart rate right on the screen. Polar also has a nice website where you can upload your data from your watch (wirelessly) and look at your progress. Price will be about $125 if you can find a deal.
  • dbower18
    dbower18 Posts: 40 Member
    I use a NIke trax C6. It works OK and you change batteries without an Act of Congress

Consumer Reports lists this as a best buy:

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1296308833&sr=1-1

I'll probably get one when the Nike goes.
  • ForTheFam
    ForTheFam Posts: 88 Member
    After weeks of research I bought the Polar FT40 off Amazon for $112 w/ free shipping. The PolarUSA website has a good way of refining your search for the features that meet your needs. Have fun.
  • bluespring
    Did you also buy the Flow Link?
    I know you need one to access the Polar website. But...is it a "must" purchase?
    Thanks again.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Thanks again.

I will check that out. I have had mine for 3 years and switched out the chest strap for the one that comes with it automatically now. Better designed and blocks the other HRMs. I love that I can see my HR on the machine. My Trainer has the watch so she can see my HR as we work out.

Can you tell I love my HRM:love:
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    I had the Polar F7 and just bought the Polar FT4 on ebay for $49.99 BNIB.

LOVED my F7 but it was the one where you couldn't change the batteries without sending it away.
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Polar F6 by far the best! (IMHO)

if not then look for:
    chest strap is a must
    one that shows you HR, Max HR and calories burned.

I love the feature on mine that shows me what I have done for the week, month and I think it goes back 6 months. It is supposed to sink with the computer, but I was never able to do so, but that was not important to me.

I wasted money on a couple before I heard about the F6 and other Polar products. Even my trainer has one:wink:

Love my F6 too!!
  • ForTheFam
    ForTheFam Posts: 88 Member
    Thanks again.
    I read a few comments that the flow link wasn't worth it. I didn't get it...I can only handle so much info at a time...:drinker:
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    I have the F6- best money my hubby ever spent on me! I love it!
  • bluespring
    I bought the FT60.....without the flow link.
    Can't wait to give it a try!
    Thanks all.
    Blue
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    I have the garmin forerunner 305 which is currently $129 at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296351971&sr=8-1

It isn't the correct choice for everyone, but if your exercise consists of biking, running, or walking outdoors it is great. It has a built in GPS, so you can download your workouts, see the route you took as well as your speed and heart rate at any particular time.
  • Wiitabax
    Wiitabax Posts: 284
    If you've got an iPhone, there's a new 'app' just out that works similar to a hospital pulse-oximeter - it's only £0.59 (which is $1 I think) - you can use it before/after training, so although not constantly monitoring it's a great little tool to use. :)

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/instant-heart-rate-measure/id395042892?mt=8
This discussion has been closed.