Oatmeal good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't like oatmeal. I tried it yesterday with a few dashes of cinnamon, and I could barely eat half of it. It just didn't have any taste to me. Then again, I haven't ate it in forever. But I don't think I'll be eating it again soon.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    "Nutritionists" don't need a degree in nutrition. My mom is a registered dietician, and she says oatmeal is a good breakfast because the fiber and grains will make you feel full longer, and it's not very processed.

I'd check that "nutritionist's" educational background. I do know of a lady who was a dietician who called herself a nutritionist because people didn't know what a dietician was, but it'd be worth to check her out. :)
  • mfergie889
    Options
    "Honestly, I don't like oatmeal. I tried it yesterday with a few dashes of cinnamon, and I could barely eat half of it. It just didn't have any taste to me. Then again, I haven't ate it in forever. But I don't think I'll be eating it again soon. "

Try 2tsp brown sugar and some sliced strawberries...or a little bit of walnut. Its better w either a little sugar from fruit, or a little crunch from nuts!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist who not only told you steel cut oats are a bad choice, but also recommended a supplement with parabens and artificial flavors in it? Who is this person?
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    A nutritionist who not only told you steel cut oats are a bad choice, but also recommended a supplement with parabens and artificial flavors in it? Who is this person?

A nutritionist = someone without any credentials. Anyone can be a nutritionist I do not trust those people. A registered Dietitician is who you would want to speak with. An RD LN
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

A nutritionist = someone without any credentials. Anyone can be a nutritionist I do not trust those people. A registered Dietitician is who you would want to speak with. An RD LN

EXACTLY!
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal 2-3 times per week at breakfast; usually on my cardio days. I'll have it with a slice of wheat bread bread and peanut butter. I have the Quaker Oat brand that comes in the packages. It's sufficient enough to get me through my workouts and to my post workout meal (proteiin shake). I've been doing this for over twelve weeks and am continuing to lose weight.

God Bless!

Shawn
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options

EXACTLY!

Yup I am going to school to be an Rd :) I eat oatmeal all the time and it is a good source of fiber and does have protein.

I eat mine in the mornings with a mashed banana. Also sometimes when I have a lot of calories and such left. Someone on here suggested it and it was amazing. I add a little peanut butter in! I eat the quaker old fashioned oats I haven't been able to find steal cut oats.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think plain oatmeal can easily be improved. Add some nuts, fruit, possibly flax seed and you'll have a more balanced and filling meal. IT is fin, but I do think you need to bulk it up a bit. You can also make it with milk to boost the protein.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Ok, this question has been bothering me for awhile. In October a local health food store was offering free 40 min sessions with a nutrionalist. I was seeking some guidance so I took an appt. I shared with her that I had been struggling with weight loss, I had been still recovering from surgery (emergency female) back in March, no motivation, tired. etc.. She asked about my current diet and I told her I eating steel oats at least 3-4 x weekly or a egg whites with veggies. Salad and lean meat, dinner lean meat, lots of veggies, etc... all healthy.

She told me to stop eating the oatmeal, and instead eat egg whites/eggs, tomato, english mufffin... and then went one about other things I could do to jump start my metabolism... She recommened LPP, but when I ran out I stopped taking it, yucky taste. anyone take this? Is it worth buying some more?

Anyone have any idea why she would tell me not to eat oatmeal? I would love to start to eat that again....

Thanks.

Daily consumption of a bowl of oatmeal can lower blood cholesterol, because of its soluble fiber content, and because of the beta-glucan in the oats.

Rolled oats have long been a staple of many athletes' diets, especially weight trainers; given oatmeal's high content of complex carbohydrates and water-soluble fiber that encourages slow digestion and stabilizes blood-glucose level.

A serve of oats (around half cup oats then made with water, milk, soy milk - whatever your preference), contains 3 - 5 g protein as well as a good amount of vitamins.

Personally (and it may sound very boring) every morning I have a bowl of oatmeal porridge, made with soy milk and water, with 5 diced prunes and a teaspoon of malt extract.

Gives me a long morning burn, good vitamins, some protein etc. I find when I do not have it I get hungry mid morning. I used to like it with a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar until I realized just how many calories I was getting from adding the sugar. I cut that out slowly.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!

All of the above.

Oatmeal is good for you. I suspect she has no real qualifications at all.