1 month in and I am SICK OF CHICKEN

Options
Help me...I am sick of chicken and it has only just begun. I am a terribly picky eater (meat, potatoes and bread are all I want). I have found there are too many calories in beef of any variety when you only get 1300 cals per day.....can somebody help. I am ready to cry cause I am sick of chicken.

Replies

• mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    what about fish, or try ground turkey as a substitute for beef
  • bethann1976
    Options
    Shrimp... tilapia.... lean pork.....
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    do you like any fish at all? i eat a lot of chicken BUT if you put it into different recipes it's not so bad. Chicken fajitas, chicken parmiagiana. Try maybe turkey burgers?
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I get Natures Rachers quarter pound beef burgers which have 200 calories in them, and some of it cooks out. Turkey and Buffalo are good alteratives too.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Morningstar has plenty of veggie options! :bigsmile: I'm a vegetarian and always trying to recruit more.
  • bassetthree
    bassetthree Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Turkey is a bit of a change of pace from chicken. I cook a full turkey breast once a week. Gives me and my husband plenty for a couple of dinners and turkey sandwiches or wraps all week long. Also, maybe you can add some pork loin or pork chops or some fish in to your diet. Mixing things up keeps your diet way more exciting. I know you can do it!
  • licha75
    licha75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Do you like fish? Fish doesn't have many calories. And steak isn't bad, I have it once in awhile, the calories aren't that bad but skip the potatoes. I eat broccoli and add a bit of low calorie cheez whiz to it. yum! Good luck!:happy:
  • nuttybuttersmommy
    nuttybuttersmommy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    we make a lot of ground turkey, and fish....
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    haha i am just like you. I love meat and potatoes and you can still have red meat...it is about portion sizes. you can also do ground turkey, and perhaps look into pork. White meats are usually better. unfortunately...

Do you like fish?

I am only starting to get into trying to make that...but i guess there are some good recipes for it.

I LOVE this site

http://400caloriesorless.com/

which you can have beef in a crock pot meal or something like that. I just made a mushroom and beef stew like thing from this site. hope you find something that looks good to ya!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    We just had pork chops for dinner. You can also go with turkey like has already been suggested. If you're going to go with turkey though, you may want to check the 93%/7% ground beef. Frequently it has fewer cals and less fat than ground turkey. Fish is a GREAT addition. If you're up for a new adventure, you can always try tofu. (Not my cup of tea, but others I know love it!)

If you still need more ideas, just let me know!
  • rae0823
    Options
    Well I have the most decadent diet cook book and there are beef recipes in there that are less than 500. Even a one called Super-stuffed Steak Soft Taco that is 300 per taco. I personally am fully between 1 of those and some brown rice. Beef is all about the cut because this particular recipe calls for top round steak. I also eat fish and pork, but I love fish. If you want any of the recipes let me know.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Is it chicken you're sick of or the same old preparation? You'd be surprised how often people get the two confused, lol. But on to your original question, fish is always an excellent choice. I also recently made an eggplant and chickpea stew which totally surprised me because I'm definitely a carnivore. A good lentil soup works wonders too. Part of this lifestyle change is throwing our old way of looking at food out the window and trying new things. When it comes to beef, look for leaner cuts to help keep the cals down. Good luck :)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to eat other foods besides chicken - just make sure to watch the portion sizes and calories. You could try pork chops, lean (95%) ground beef, lean cuts of beef, etc...Do you like fish? What about making the foods that you like in a healthier manner? You can grill meat without a ton of sauce. I try to make my plates 1/2 veggie, 1/4 protein and 1/4 carb. It's easy to measure that way.

Potatoes are okay - I bake mine and eat them plain, but you could add olive oil or Earth Balance or a small amount of butter.

This time around I'm trying to avoid denying myself foods. I just don't go crazy when I'm eating chocolate or something.

Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    First, are you sure your calories need to be set that low? Sometimes it's better to lose weight a little slower if it means you can eat a wider range of foods.

Second, I ate steak (ribeye or New York Strip) when my calorie goal was that low. Do you eat your exercise calories?
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Extra lean ground beef that has been scramble fried and then rinsed with boiling hot water is hardly more calories/fat that ground turkey and can be used in a number of dishes. Just a thought.
  • zbstngrl
    zbstngrl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Lamb? Its less calories than beef.
  • cbuggin22
    cbuggin22 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Turkey! Turkey! Turkey! We eat turkey instead of beef. We buy it ground and make burger dishes with it. We eat turkey bacon and make pizza with turkey pepperoni. There are a lot of beef substitutions. Fortunately, my family is very open to trying new things.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I beef at least once a week, it all depends of the portions...
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have been eating chicken and turkey since I gave up all red meat 10yrs ago.there are so many ways to prepare these two meats.I use a lot of ground chicken and turkey and make anything from meatloafs to tacos.and they are yummy
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Try eating some of your meals vegetarian, like dishes with beans instead of meat.

As other said, ground turkey is good.

"Meatless" meatballs are delicious...