2»

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    pork tenderloin!
  • JuliaKahle
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet and I still eat a variety of meat including beef. You just have to be very careful with the portions. You can also check out ham, turkey breast, pork tenderloin, a variety of fish and seafood, and roast beef. I usually buy lunch meat and make sandwiches. They are filling and don't usually have a lot of calories(and the calories are easy to track since it's sliced). Also, you can try cooking chicken using different recipes.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I got sick of chicken no matter how I made it the first 3 weeks. I bought tilapia and turkey patties and those aren't too bad. There are some good recipes on here for them as well.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    lol. My kids make fun of me for cooking chicken all the time. Figure out what calories you're going to consume then work out. That way you earned your steak. Do you eat fish? Pork tenderloin is a good choice.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bison is a good alternative to beef. and 99% fat free ground turkey :)
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    you just have to find ways to stretch your portions of beef and pair it with really low calorie sides like steamed broccoli. My favorite restaurant meal is a 6 ounce sirloin (about 400 calories) with a side of steamed fresh veggies, usually broccoli and carrots (about 80 calories) from Texas Roadhouse. I just budget for it throughout the day and pass on the bread and salads when I get there. When I first started, I ate it all. Now, I only eat 2/3 of the steak and save the rest to add into a veggie stirfry (broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash,and whatever frozen veggies I have in the freezer) for a yummy lunch.
    I also will brown a pound of super lean ground beef, rinse, and then add half (6 oz) to a jar of Classico fire-roasted tomato and garlic spaghetti sauce (which is then portioned out into three one-cup size servings, two of which go into the freezer for later). Add to the whole-grain noodles of your choice for a low-cal spaghetti dinner that includes two ounces of beef (enough to give it the taste, but not too much). I use Barilla whole-wheat pasta = 362 calories.
    I usually make tacos with the other half of the ground beef, two meals of three tacos with one ounce of beef in each.
    So...that's five meals out of one pound of hamburger meat. Not bad.

P.S. And this is really important. I measure EVERYTHING. My food scale and my measuring cups and spoons have been vital to my weight loss, and I'm 105 pounds down. If you don't have them already, I strongly suggest you get them ASAP.
  • jmlitton33
    jmlitton33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    those are great ideas. also, add some different flavors, too. look for healthy sauces and spices. also, boca burgers are great for an alternative to beef. i'm no vegetarian or vegan, but they are tasty!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I also would say to try cooking the chicken different ways, try turkey, and most of all, try pork. Lean cuts of pork are very good. I cook pork tenderloin in the crockpot with nothing but some liquid smoke, then serve it. I use the leftovers in all kinds of recipes that call for chicken or beef. (Stir fry is one of my favorite ways.)
    The other thing that I would recommend is not to give up beef. Buy the leaner ground beef, or the leaner cuts of meat, and watch your portion size. I often make casseroles that I would normally make with a pound of ground beef, and only put in 1/2 lb. I make up for the volume by sneaking in more vegetables - chopped celery, zucchini or summer squash, cabbage, or even fresh spinach are some of my favorites for this.
    I would not just eat chicken, or if you get truly sick of it, quitting will be too big of a temptation. You need to find a way to eat healthier that you can actually live with in the long term, or the new lifestyle may become a passing fancy. I hope all of this helps. Let me know if you need more help. Here's to smart choices!
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I love turkey products.........ground turkey, turkey italian sausage, turkey breakfast sausage, turkey burgers, turkey chops, turkey hot dogs, turkey kielbasa, turkey wings, turkey roast,etc etc

I also do boca products, fish, and chicken obviously
  • cmrich0511
    Options
    If you love beef, you can always try to trick your taste buds :) A couple of red meat substitutions that may be lower calorie intensive would be lamb and venison (deer meat). You can prepare them virtually the same as you do beef, but they tend to be more lean cuts, and I know for sure venison tends to have very little (if any) fat.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Legumes, beans, lentils, tofu. Have a meatless day once a week...it'll help vary your protein sources and introduce new flavors and textures.
  • dniapas
    dniapas Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you like turkey, Kroger has turkey thighs that turn out great in the slow cooker. Also, try something different with your chicken. I like to use my slow cooker, and sometimes I add a chopped up Roma tomato to whatever chicken I'm cooking and it turns out great.

Good luck.
  • cassidystreasures
    Options

I LOVE this site

http://400caloriesorless.com/

which you can have beef in a crock pot meal or something like that. I just made a mushroom and beef stew like thing from this site. hope you find something that looks good to ya!

think im gonna love this site!
  • safetyscott
    safetyscott Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eat what you want....
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I eat almost all forms of meat. It is just about the portions! Size does matter. Lol
  • thammond46
    Options
    You can certainly eat beef and maintain your diet, you just need to measure your foods and moderate. We (my wife and I) we just make certain we measure what we are eating and that we stay within our calorie limits and keep our carbs, proteins and fat %'s are in balance for our diet at the time. You may not be able to eat 1 pound London Broil in one sitting but you could certainly enjoy 4 to 6 ounces with a small serving of red potatoes and two one cup servings of veggies.

The key to success is making a lifestyle change, which translates to what your doing must be sustainable for the longterm and denying yourself won't work.

Best of Luck!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I make lots of bean and lentil dishes, I like tuna for lunch and shrimp is always a nice to have. Deli meat is a nice option....although high in sodium but most packs only are around 100 calories for 11 slices. Try frozen dinners......again high in sodium but there is at least portion control with them and TONS of variety.

I agree with previous posters though that said you can eat any meat you just have to watch your portion size. I have meat almost everyday but stick to 3-4 oz servings.

Also it really comes down to preparation......you need to find new recipies and just experiment to make the "same old" new again!!

**I also agree that maybe you need to up your calories. I know a lot of people want fast results as many lbs a week as possible but funny enough sometimes by eating more you end up losing more!! You also may be more prone to sticking with it if you are allowed a little more each day, really a couple hundred calories can make all the difference. make sure if you are working out you eat some of those as well....that's what the calories are there for!!!
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of options, the 400calories.com site as mentioned above is darn good. I also noticed someone said Talapia (A type of fish) don't ever, EVER eat talapia. It is a fish used to clean other fishes poo out of breeding tanks. (Yes that means that Talapia eat nothing but poo and they taste like it too, also significantly less nutritional value than salmon or trout, the thing about fish, is you need to make sure that it is not Farmed fish, but fresh. Farmed fish tasted bad and is full of chemicals.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Some of my favorite protein choices are:

Pork Tenderloin
    Cod
    Salmon
    Ground Turkey

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne