Cheat Days (Long...but hopefully worth it)

Options
2»

Replies

• SweatinSammie
    Options
    I am loving this post! I have a feeling that those who enjoy the idea of a "cheat day" are not in it for the long haul like somebody like me. Perhaps an individual who only needs to lose 20 or less pounds and has not been overweight their entire life cannot appreciate the idea that a lifestyle change is necessary and it is NOT a DIET.

I am NOT on a diet - and a diet would never work for me because I have been overweight my entire life. Learning portions, healthy choices, how to exercise sounds more like a 'lifestyle change' and not a diet to me.

Others may say that the author of this blog is reading too much into words but I completely agree that our self talk is SO important and telling oursevles that we are cheating is not entirely healthy. I have been dieting for 7 months and have never had a cheat day. Have I had days where I don't count my calories? Yes. Have I had meals that I knew were unhealthy? Yes. BUT I never lost site of my goal or considered it cheating. I was making conscious decisions to go outside of my normal diet (not 'diet') and by not thinking of it as cheating - there was no guilt associated.

As for the idea that restricting calories must be a diet - that's simply silly. And perhaps if people that partake in this idea of DIET and CHEATING admit that they and most others are on a rollercoaster of dieting/gaining back - maybe they should rethink their self talk.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I am loving this post! I have a feeling that those who enjoy the idea of a "cheat day" are not in it for the long haul like somebody like me. Perhaps an individual who only needs to lose 20 or less pounds and has not been overweight their entire life cannot appreciate the idea that a lifestyle change is necessary and it is NOT a DIET.

I am NOT on a diet - and a diet would never work for me because I have been overweight my entire life. Learning portions, healthy choices, how to exercise sounds more like a 'lifestyle change' and not a diet to me.

Others may say that the author of this blog is reading too much into words but I completely agree that our self talk is SO important and telling oursevles that we are cheating is not entirely healthy. I have been dieting for 7 months and have never had a cheat day. Have I had days where I don't count my calories? Yes. Have I had meals that I knew were unhealthy? Yes. BUT I never lost site of my goal or considered it cheating. I was making conscious decisions to go outside of my normal diet (not 'diet') and by not thinking of it as cheating - there was no guilt associated.

As for the idea that restricting calories must be a diet - that's simply silly. And perhaps if people that partake in this idea of DIET and CHEATING admit that they and most others are on a rollercoaster of dieting/gaining back - maybe they should rethink their self talk.

HEAR HERE!!
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I agree... this is the rest of your life, and mine. If I eat more than I intended to on one day, I can make it up the next day or within the week, by less food or more exercise. It's my option and my responsibility, for the rest of my life, no complaints. That's perfectly fine.

There are two things that vaguely annoy me about "dieting" language in general. The first is the whole "lifestyle choice" phrase. How condescending can you get, when you get people who never worked as hard as you thinking they're superior because they were taught early how to eat right and exercise and didn't actually have to learn it the hard way. That's the external one. They can bite my cholesterol-laden rosy pink behind.

The second is the internal one, from the perspective of the dieting community, such as it is. And the offending term is.... "Starvation Mode". Your body isn't starving, but it sure as hell is reluctant to let that scale go down. I much prefer "Conservation Mode", which I think is closer to the reality, without all the silly drama. Let's leave that to the television divas.

ps. Who is John Galt? He's the guy who wants to lead us into a brave new world at the front of the parade without taking into consideration that he's doing so on the backs of people who never get recognition, like plumbers and garbagemen. I'd love to see him in an entry level job!
  • kbairdphillips
    kbairdphillips Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great post and I agree completely............When people ask me how I'm losing weight, I always tell them that I've just changed my eating habits and it's all about moderation. I do truly believe it IS a lifestyle change and I think by believing that, I will not only reach my goals but I will maintain when I get there.:smile:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You know I enjoy reading your post. Everything you just typed I was thinking earlier, but I just didn't feel like taking the time to type it up. I would've said it as beautiful as your either. I'm a little more blunt lol

Cheat days got me to 324 lbs. Cheat days had me yo-yoing. Like I said in another thread I'm truthful with myself now. The blinders have been removed and I have made life changes in order to be healthy. I'm not on a calorie restricted diet. I'm on a weight loss journey to impeccable health. Cheat days aren't included in that change. I make better choices now. Anyways my kids said my momma burgers taste way better than Micky's D's & Ruby Tuesdays :bigsmile:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

Thank you, and well said! :wink:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Anyways my kids said my momma burgers taste way better than Micky's D's & Ruby Tuesdays :bigsmile:

LOL That's awesome. I love when my son chooses my cookin (or anything healthy) over the perceived "excitement" of junkfood and eating out.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    That's it from me! I hope all the MFP members who see your post take the time to read it and really contemplate what it could mean for them and their relationship to food. Diet is not a temporary fix; is a way of life.

Thanks Jessie! And yes, to me it's totally about changing how we think about and relate to food (and exercise). So much of this is a mental game. When you actually work on changing the habits, your whole mindset changes. And that's the most important part of all of this, if it's to be lifelong.
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is a truly wonderful post. You're absolutely right that language creates our reality, and what we choose to call something very much affects what it means to us. No more Cheat Days!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Bravo!

I agree, writing was my hobby for a long time (hope to get back to it) and I do put meaning ito words as well. I knew something about the cheat day/meal was bothering me. I am NOT a cheater in anything I do. Even free day has bad connotations. Truth is, there is nothing wrong with how I eat, I don't need a vacation from it, I'm not on punishment. And there are certain types of foods I just don't want in my life anymore.

I just call it what it is,, my carb-up or calorie-up day that helps keep my metabolism guessing. :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'm on a DIET and I have CHEAT days. And neither of those 2 words bother me. :laugh:

They are only words. In fact I have no idea how restricting your calories to lose weight can be termed as a 'lifestyle change'. You're on a calorie restricted DIET! Changing your lifestyle might happen later when you reach your ideal weight. And only then, so you dont put the weight back on again. But lets face it, most of us do put some back on again and end up on another diet! :noway:

Each to their own I suppose. If its negative to you then dont use it, but to me, it's just a realistic account of what I'm doing. There's nothing wrong with my lifestyle, I'm just trying to lose some weight :bigsmile:

I'm glad you feel it works for you. I have no illusions that everyone feels the same way I do.

For me, it's a lifestyle change because I've begun exercising, and eating healthier and doing these things to BE healthier - and to stay that way. That's why this isn't temporary for me.

As you said, to each his own. I hope you're successful. :flowerforyou:

I guess the difference between us then is that I exercise and eat well all the time!!! I'm eating exactly now what I would eat if I wasn't on a diet, only less of it! But to say I'm never going to drink wine, eat chocolate and or icecream again would be a denial. That's what I mean. I cut those things out (or cut down) when I'm on a diet. But I won't be cutting them out forever.

Good luck with your lifestyel change. I think exercise should be done by everyone, for life. That is definitely worth changing if you dont do any :bigsmile:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    AMEN! I couldn't agree more that the terminology contributes to a negative connotation. The concept is meant to assist a person to transition from making bad food choices to healthier ones as well as a sound weight loss strategy. I've read abt it in books and understand it quite clearly, but the way it is bandied about on here and not clarified is one of the mitigating factors of the dust-up.

To clear it up for yourself read the book by Tom Venuto and here is a review:
    http://www.fitnesstipsforlife.com/burn-the-fat-feed-the-muscle-complete-review.html

Speaking of Mr Venuto this is a rather good article and interview with Joel Marion about the benefits (yes, benefits!) of a cheat / refuel/ refeed / free day or meal:

http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2009/12/cheating_on_your_diet.php
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Okay, restricting calories is not a "lifestyle change." Restricting 500 calories a day is temporary. You are not going to do this for the rest of your life.

And if you genuinely did make a lifestyle change (eating whole foods, regular exercise, cutting back on sodium, etc.) then having one day a week (or every few weeks) where you allow yourself some dessert, go out to a restaurant with some friends, share a plate of wings with your buddy while you watch the game on Sunday (you know, a cheat day/free day/treat meal), then you're not going to sabotage your goals.

I totally look forward to my cheat days. They're the days that I go out with my friends, have a few cocktails and dance my *kitten* off into the wee hours in the morning.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Okay, restricting calories is not a "lifestyle change." Restricting 500 calories a day is temporary. You are not going to do this for the rest of your life.

And if you genuinely did make a lifestyle change (eating whole foods, regular exercise, cutting back on sodium, etc.) then having one day a week (or every few weeks) where you allow yourself some dessert, go out to a restaurant with some friends, share a plate of wings with your buddy while you watch the game on Sunday (you know, a cheat day/free day/treat meal), then you're not going to sabotage your goals.

I totally look forward to my cheat days. They're the days that I go out with my friends, have a few cocktails and dance my *kitten* off into the wee hours in the morning.

I haven't restricted my calories at all - I often have trouble eating enough. My changes are eating healthier foods and eating regularly, and exercising. This is how I will live for the rest of my life.

Honestly, it doesn't really sound like you read the whole post (and certainly not any of the further comments.) I clearly stated I have nothing against relaxing the standards on occasion, and incorporating the things we enjoy on a regular basis. The idea was that the terminology is self-defeating.

Good luck to you!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I'm on a DIET and I have CHEAT days. And neither of those 2 words bother me. :laugh:

They are only words. In fact I have no idea how restricting your calories to lose weight can be termed as a 'lifestyle change'. You're on a calorie restricted DIET! Changing your lifestyle might happen later when you reach your ideal weight. And only then, so you dont put the weight back on again. But lets face it, most of us do put some back on again and end up on another diet! :noway:

Each to their own I suppose. If its negative to you then dont use it, but to me, it's just a realistic account of what I'm doing. There's nothing wrong with my lifestyle, I'm just trying to lose some weight :bigsmile:

I'm glad you feel it works for you. I have no illusions that everyone feels the same way I do.

For me, it's a lifestyle change because I've begun exercising, and eating healthier and doing these things to BE healthier - and to stay that way. That's why this isn't temporary for me.

As you said, to each his own. I hope you're successful. :flowerforyou:

I guess the difference between us then is that I exercise and eat well all the time!!! I'm eating exactly now what I would eat if I wasn't on a diet, only less of it! But to say I'm never going to drink wine, eat chocolate and or icecream again would be a denial. That's what I mean. I cut those things out (or cut down) when I'm on a diet. But I won't be cutting them out forever.

Good luck with your lifestyel change. I think exercise should be done by everyone, for life. That is definitely worth changing if you dont do any :bigsmile:

But if you exercise and eat well all the time, in healthy proportions, you wouldn't need a diet. THAT is the difference. I haven't restricted my calories at all - I often have trouble eating enough. I've just changed what I eat and my schedule, and now (and will continue to) exercise regularly. Those are permanent changes.

I clearly stated I don't think enjoying a treat or relaxing the standards a bit on occasion is a bad thing. Guess you would have had to read it to see that. :wink:
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I did read it. I don't see calling it a cheat day self-defeating at all.

Good luck to you too.