Challenge - NO Fast Food February

Options

Replies

• CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

Just got my fifteen year old son who plays competitive water polo to watch "Super Size Me", He was really shocked. I'm sure he won't be eating any takeout for a while or at least he will think twice about what he is eating and how often.

I think it (Super Size Me) should be part of the school health program.

This (eating take out) is very hard to control when they are on road trips and you are not around. I get very frustrated when the chaperons okay stops at take out joints on their bus trips, despite having packed healthy meals for the kids.
  • Akronite0883
    Options
    I like the Idea I might bring this up where I work and I think I could also do it but I might start it in march.
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Day 7 and no fast food. Yay me!! ;)
  • autumn5gabby
    Options
    No fast food for me. My husband and one daughter even went to a buffet and I said no I cant go Im doing a challenge.
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone. I'm just letting you know that I have to quit this challenge for now. I've had some stress going on lately and I'm trying to focus on certain things. I don't have to worry about eating fast food. Although, I have a girls-night-out next week and we'll probably go to a fast food place, but I'll make good decisions. Good luck everyone!
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Fourteen days in....this past friday Papa Johns was provided at work for a farewell party for a coworker. Only had two slices. So technically, I've had fast food. Still, I haven't purchased any for myself so I'm considering myself still on the challenge. How's everybody else doing?
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    So far so good : ) no fast food to date
  • _Christine_
    Options
    Two weeks down!! :)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I know it is too late to participate now but if out there for March I am on board for sure... I will have time to mentally prepare myself for a month with no fast foods. Does this include Subway because you mentioned Deli. I will assume you are not talking about regular sit down resturants also. Just confirm. For example is Chilpolities, Panera Bread fast foods to you? I am thinking not but just want to verify. Thanks.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

I will check this out when I get home.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have been doing well on the no fast food. I wonder if pizza counts?
  • grouch201
    Options
    I mentioned earlier that I had Papa John's, which I think of as fast food, merely for the fact that somebody else prepared it. I do also count subway since my overall goal has been to be 100% aware of everything I am putting in my body. when somebody else prepares the food, you don't always know what they put in it. But others have said that it counts if you obtain your food through a drive thru. It's really up to you, but the obvious no-no's are McD's Wendys, Arby's, etc.
  • jul21r
    jul21r Posts: 34
    Options
    My husband and I have done this since December 13th and it has saved us so much money!!! It isn't really too hard, just requires more planning on my part. It is well worth it and I don't crave it anymore.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I mentioned earlier that I had Papa John's, which I think of as fast food, merely for the fact that somebody else prepared it. I do also count subway since my overall goal has been to be 100% aware of everything I am putting in my body. when somebody else prepares the food, you don't always know what they put in it. But others have said that it counts if you obtain your food through a drive thru. It's really up to you, but the obvious no-no's are McD's Wendys, Arby's, etc.
    Ok, so really no eating out for you! Overall, I have avoided fried things, but I have eaten out a lot. I thought I might get pizza tonight, but looks like my friend is cooking so I don't have to worry about it!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

Thanks! I am going to include Subway for right now......:-) I don't go to Subway often anyways. My problem areas is fried chicken. It use to be pizza too but I have been good with that for a while now and when I do have it I buy a slice. But for March forward start with the drive thru and obvious items also that are not drive thru.

I had already said no resturants more than once or twice a month! This gives me plenty of time to practice. I will start today on my own. I am so glad I saw this challenge.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    My husband and I have done this since December 13th and it has saved us so much money!!! It isn't really too hard, just requires more planning on my part. It is well worth it and I don't crave it anymore.

I agree with you. I just got back into this nasty habit again. I really believe they put something addictive substances in the fast foods.....:-) Really because the longer I am away from it the easier it is to just stop.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Fourteen days in....this past friday Papa Johns was provided at work for a farewell party for a coworker. Only had two slices. So technically, I've had fast food. Still, I haven't purchased any for myself so I'm considering myself still on the challenge. How's everybody else doing?

That was what I was wondering. I was treated to Subway. I didn't buy it and subway is a healthier option. I don't think of Subway as fast food because it doesn' have a drive thru.

I have not had any Mcd, BK, KFC, etc.

I think this is a great challenge even though people are maybe questioning what foods to include becuase it is getting us to think. Being consciensious about what we are eating is where is all begins.

I am considering myself still in too. This doesn't give us permission to go to a fast food restaurant just because someone else is treating. :wink: :wink: :wink: :drinker:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

That was what I was wondering. I was treated to Subway. I didn't buy it and subway is a healthier option. I don't think of Subway as fast food because it doesn' have a drive thru.

I have not had any Mcd, BK, KFC, etc.

I think this is a great challenge even though people are maybe questioning what foods to include becuase it is getting us to think. Being consciensious about what we are eating is where is all begins.

I am considering myself still in too. This doesn't give us permission to go to a fast food restaurant just because someone else is treating. :wink: :wink: :wink: :drinker:

It does get you thinking about other fast foods that really do not fall under fast foods per say. Example of one I thought about is Lean Cuisines, Smart Ones, Heathy Choices, etc. But it definitely gets you thinking as stated.

But I know the challenge is for the real deal Fast foods. If I can eliminate the REAL FF that will be a great start for me. Tuesday will be the hardest one for me because of Popeyes special that I get every other Tuesday or so. I used to get the special every Tuesday. So for March no Popeyes for me. YAY!

I can truly say fast foods made me FAT and that is why my nick name for FF is FAT foods.

So far I have not had any fast foods since I found this group. FF is a constant struggle for me. Have a good day all!
  • grouch201
    Options
    17 Days in and I've been reading through some of the posts, including my own justification of Papa John's since somebody else paid for it. I find myself in a bit of a quandary thinking about how I feel about it. It's funny how I thought of this as a challenge, but I've found it remarkably easy to stay away from the fast food joints since making the commitment at the beginning of the month.

My only temptation came last night when it had been a little too long between meals and I just wanted to stop somewhere on my way home from work. To deflect this urge, I just thought of what I would cook at home. I thought of a couple things I needed at the grocery store (like bread and eggs). I ended up buying a 0.99 cent loaf of french bread and making some sandwiches out of it. I generally try to stay away from white bread, but I decided it was my treat. I made two sandwiches and had a banana and it was so much more satisfying and more nutritious than stopping at a fast food joint would have been.

Well, regardless of the pizza incident earlier this month, I still think that going from eating fast food once a week to two slices of pizza in 17 days is still progress in the direction I am trying to go. I have every expectation of staying this way for the remaining 11 days this month and considering how easy it has been, I just may keep it going into March as well.
  • _Christine_
    Options
    17 days in and we had Whataburger... I won't justify it, but I did only eat half a burger and a small frie. It's a small victory for me. ;)