Hey Swimmers! Want to have a distance challenge?

Options
I was considering keeping track of how far I swim during the month of February and then trying to increase that in March. Anyone else want to keep track of and share their distance each day?

My goal for February is between 40 and 45 laps in a 50-meter pool twice a week. That means 350 laps in February, which equals 17500 meters or about 11 miles, if my math is right.

Replies

• samdawes1986
    Options
    Hi

This sounds good to me, I've just got into swimming so gives me something to aim for!

I only do about 30 lengths of a 20meter pool 3-4 times a week so not as far but will be good to keep track!

Samantha
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    you should sign up for the swimathon if you're in the uk, you can do a 1.5, 2.5 or 5km swim for charity in april. I did the 5km swim last year, 200 25m lengths and 2 hours later I finished - hardwork but good to do and a little bit different than a half marathon.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I'm trying to swim 100 miles for the year.

I have never swam competitivly, but am no stranger to swimming and the pool. We joined the YMCA last week. In 8 days I logged 1.5 miles. Going to attempt another half mile tonight.

My biggest obstacle is getting my schedule to sync up with the lap pool's schedule.

If I want to stay on pace for my yearly goal I need to log 9 miles in Feb. Better to aim high, and hit low I always say.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    you should sign up for the swimathon if you're in the uk, you can do a 1.5, 2.5 or 5km swim for charity in april. I did the 5km swim last year, 200 25m lengths and 2 hours later I finished - hardwork but good to do and a little bit different than a half marathon.

I would love to find something like this in my area! My husband is doing a half marathon soon and I am so jealous of him!
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I swim 2000 yards a day (80 lengths of a jr. olympic (25 yard) pool), six days per week = 48,000 yards, or 27.25 miles. Jimmini Crickets, I've never done the math before. My goal is to work up to swimming 2400 yards per day by the end of February, so hopefully my actual number will be higher. I like this challenge! I started swimming again about 10 months ago and could barely swim 900 yards...
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm in. I've been wanting to increase my swimming and this could do the trick.

I'm going to commit to 1/2 mile twice a week, so 4 miles in February.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    I swim 2000 yards a day (80 lengths of a jr. olympic (25 yard) pool), six days per week = 48,000 yards, or 27.25 miles. Jimmini Crickets, I've never done the math before. My goal is to work up to swimming 2400 yards per day by the end of February, so hopefully my actual number will be higher. I like this challenge! I started swimming again about 10 months ago and could barely swim 900 yards...

I am so jealous you get to swim every day! I would give anything to swim every day but with work and a baby, it is only twice a week. What a great goal!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm with you--although instead of increasing total distance alone, I want to increase my intensity--specifically my butterfly.

I swim a medley of strokes to increase the variety of muscle groups I'm working, but right now I can really only fly about one length (25 yards) at a time right now before I completely lose form. My goal is to work up a lap (50y) of fly by the first of March.

My routine is 50 laps (2500 yards) twice a week (or 5000 yards=2.84 miles). With 4 weeks in Feb = 11.3 miles/month.
  • bonniecameron68
    Options
    most standard pools have a distance of 25 metres so when you say your goal is to swim 40-50 laps, what are you considering a lap? do you count one lap as there and back at 50m or there one lap 50m I hope I am making sense. 40 laps at 25m per lap is equal to 1km which is what I swim right now. I just want to check my distance with yours so I know what to strive for. My goal then would be to swim 2.0km by the end of February.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    I'm with you--although instead of increasing total distance alone, I want to increase my intensity--specifically my butterfly.

I swim a medley of strokes to increase the variety of muscle groups I'm working, but right now I can really only fly about one length (25 yards) at a time right now before I completely lose form. My goal is to work up a lap (50y) of fly by the first of March.

That's great! I would love to be able to do more breaststroke. I can do a 100 (two laps) of breaststroke without too much trouble but I would love to be able to do a 500 (ten laps) eventually. Maybe as a sub-goal I will keep track of how much breaststroke I am doing!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Do any of you do Total Immersion swimming, or have heard of it? I'm looking to do a Triathlon at some point and swimming is my weakest leg. I hear this is a great way to swim and not use all your energy so I can go on to bike and run.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    most standard pools have a distance of 25 metres so when you say your goal is to swim 40-50 laps, what are you considering a lap? do you count one lap as there and back at 50m or there one lap 50m I hope I am making sense. 40 laps at 25m per lap is equal to 1km which is what I swim right now. I just want to check my distance with yours so I know what to strive for. My goal then would be to swim 2.0km by the end of February.

A lap to me is there and back. So one lap is equal to 50 meters!
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a plan. I currently swim 90 (2,250 yards) laps 2 - 3 times a week. My Goal for Feb is 13 miles.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    It sounds like a plan. I currently swim 90 (2,250 yards) laps 2 - 3 times a week. My Goal for Feb is 13 miles.

Do you mean 90 laps (there and back) or 90 lengths? Just want to be clear :)
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    90 lengths or 2,250 yards
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

5k is great swimming. The furthest I ever bothered was 2.5 miles (open water) but to be honest I get bored. LOL

If you run as well, all you need is a bike and pop into the triathlon thread. :wink: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Do any of you do Total Immersion swimming, or have heard of it? I'm looking to do a Triathlon at some point and swimming is my weakest leg. I hear this is a great way to swim and not use all your energy so I can go on to bike and run.
    Although I haven't tried it, I lap swim with a couple of triathletes who have taken total immersion training, and from what they tell me, the emphasis is on lengthening the stroke and increasing streamlining or "gliding" between strokes so that you use as few strokes as possible to get across the pool. They refer to it as "zen-swimming"--focused more on body posture and flow than on going fast fast fast.

From what I understand, many triathletes have very little body fat, and so swimming is that much harder for them because they have no "float assistance" like I do (thank you, curvy boobs and butt!). You may actually swim SLOWER using immersion swimming--but when you finish, you shouldn't be completely wiped, and the idea is that you can make up the time in the bike or running events.
  • Lozzielol
    Options
    I'd love to join in. I am a slow swimmer, so I'll aim for 150 lenghts of my pool. Not sure how big a pool it is, but I will find this out!

Swimming is great :D
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, many triathletes have very little body fat, and so swimming is that much harder for them because they have no "float assistance" like I do (thank you, curvy boobs and butt!). You may actually swim SLOWER using immersion swimming--but when you finish, you shouldn't be completely wiped, and the idea is that you can make up the time in the bike or running events.

We also tend to swim quite upper body dominant with only a tiny flutterkick to stabilise, but we don't really use the legs in the swim very much, as they need to remain as fresh as possible.
  • elpete
    elpete Posts: 12
    Options
    Sure. How do you track it?

I usually log all my mileage on other sites. Is there something similar here?