Hey Swimmers! Want to have a distance challenge?

Options

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    we used to teach the total immersion techniques when i worked as a swimming instructor. they really work and do help you to improve your techniques without wasting loads of energy making you more efficient
  • safetypins
    Options
    I'm down!
  • nehptune
    nehptune Posts: 138
    Options
    i'm in!
    i haven't been in the pool for a couple of months, but i start a pre-masters swim workout program next week, so i'll start logging plenty of yardage then :)

i might just have to jump into the pool this week to make sure that i still know how to swim! ha ha ha!

planning on completing at least one 2+ mile open water swim this summer, so i'd better hold my nose and put up with the chlorine for a few months until the ponds warm up.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    i'm in!
    i haven't been in the pool for a couple of months, but i start a pre-masters swim workout program next week, so i'll start logging plenty of yardage then :)

i might just have to jump into the pool this week to make sure that i still know how to swim! ha ha ha!

planning on completing at least one 2+ mile open water swim this summer, so i'd better hold my nose and put up with the chlorine for a few months until the ponds warm up.

I've never done an open-water swim. I bet it's fun!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Just a check in. I did not get into the pool yesterday. I didn't want to tempt fate with the approaching snow storm.

I will attempt a mile tomorrow. I say attempt because I'll be swimming after running 5K, last week when I tried this I came up 6 laps short because of cramps. I'll hydrate a little better starting today.

I don't know how long the pool is. I just know 35 laps is a mile, and do the math from there.
  • nehptune
    Options

I've never done an open-water swim. I bet it's fun!

you should definitely give it a go!
    i enjoy open water swimming much more than pool swimming... although pools are much better for intervals and drills
    :)

i did a swim for charity last summer: www.swimacrossamerica.org
    they organize swims all over the US to raise money for cancer research. it was a great experience.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I got in my 50 laps in-- 2500 yards, or just a skosh short of 1.5 miles.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    I wasn't able to swim this morning - the nursery was too full to leave my little one there. But I did get to swim this afternoon! 52 laps (2600 meters) in 65 minutes. Here's what I did, in case anyone is interested:

750 meters of warm up (free, pull, and kick)
    5 x 50 sprints (free, breast, free, back, free)
    5 x 100 sprints (free, breast, free, back, free)
    500 free
    300 breaststroke
    400 free cool down
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was able to get my swim in 45 laps (2,250 yards) in 41 minutes. Closing in on a Mile and a Half.
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    Pool has been closed for a basketball tournament W-F. Will have to make up the laps next week!
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I get in about 7K (scy) a week. 10K in the summer. Car is buried in snow so only one swim this week.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Any chance people would be interested in sharing their swimming workouts? I always like to go with a plan of how much stroke, pull, kick, sprints, distance, etc. that I will do.
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    Any chance people would be interested in sharing their swimming workouts? I always like to go with a plan of how much stroke, pull, kick, sprints, distance, etc. that I will do.

10 X butterfly 25y, back 25y, breast 25y, free 50y, pull 25y = 1,500
    kickboard 10 X flutter 2y5, dolphin 25y = 500
    10 X 50y free = 500
    TOTAL: 2,500 yards
  • vzepol
    Options
    Not a good start, total for the week. 4,750 yards or 2.7 miles.
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    First day pool has been open since last Tues: Swam 2850 yards (1.6 miles) as follows:

100 warmup
    650 cardio--free full out for 12.5 minutes
    50 easy-
    900 @ 6X : butter 25, back 25, breast 50, free 25, pull 25
    500 @ kickboard @ 10X 25 flutter; 25 dolphin
    600 freestyle moderate pace
    50 easy-- cooldown
  • safetypins
    Options
    I'm at 3000 for the week so far!

Not a lot :( I vow to do at least 2500 tomorrow.
  • nehptune
    Options
    finally got in the pool today for the first time this year!!
    1600 yards, mixture of drills and intervals.

feel much better for a swim :D
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    Back in the water after a week of schedule conflicts: Swam 2850 yards (1.6 miles) as follows:
    50 warmup
    300 freestyle- moderate
    1500 @ 10X : butter 25, back 25, breast 50, free 25, pull 25
    500 @ kickboard @ 10X 25 flutter; 25 dolphin
    400 freestyle moderate pace
    100 easy-- cooldown
  • vzepol
    Options
    Excellent. I have been thinking about doing the workout, but I seem to happy just counting laps. Yesterday I swam 110 laps (1.6 miles) in about 45 minutes. Working on bringing the time down as I up the distance.
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    Excellent. I have been thinking about doing the workout, but I seem to happy just counting laps. Yesterday I swam 110 laps (1.6 miles) in about 45 minutes. Working on bringing the time down as I up the distance.

Your time is awesome! It takes me about 65 minutes to cover the same distance (but I am kicking and medleying some of that).