The Zumba Crew - February

Options
123457»

Replies

• jasndi06
    Options
    I am so glad that I finally found some people that love Zumba as much as I do!! I have only been on this site for a week now and I am still trying to get used to it! I have been doing Zumba since Jan and I LOVE IT!!!!!
    To answer the question: I am not a big fan of carrots.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

No sorry, I'm not offended by the lyrics. They have a seperate Hip Hop class, and the moves she was doing for Zumba were clearly lifted from the Hip Hop class. Personally I think that they're two different styles of dancing, and if that's wrong, then that's just my opinion. Standing for two minutes doing pelvic thrusts wasn't really what I thought I had signed up for. I could do that standing in the bathroom at work. I signed up for Zumba because I wanted to dance and sweat and burn calories.
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    Unfortunately hip hop steals a lot of their moves from other styles. So what you might consider to be hip hop can be a number of different styles. I've seen alot of them in Zumba, Bollywood, African....the list goes on.

You are not wrong to have your opinion but pelvic thrust are excellent for your abs if you are tightened them at the time.

I guess she didn't mix it up enough. Maybe she is a new instructor with limit knowledge on the dance style.
    ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    That was my experience exactly....I Zumba 3 - 5 times a week for 2 years now and heard some really great things about a particular instructor, so I made her class this morning....THOROUGHLY disappointed. Not even close to Zumba, but boy do they love her that session was packed. Very little Latin moves.

I grew up with this stuff, so I have pretty high expectations. Sure wish they had to include a certain percentage authentic. I'll never quit going....but I'll probably get a little more picky about which ones I frequent.

If only I were 20 years younger!! :devil: :laugh:
    ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    Ok...went back to give that particular zumba instructor another crack at it...nope, still a pretty bad rendition of what Zumba is supposed to be. I stayed anyway and softened up the rapid herky-jerky moves, still got a good workout albeit solo.
    Thank goodness I have two other amazing zumba classes during the week! Yeah for great instructors :love:
    ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

LoL No hope for her then. That suxs. At least you have somewhere else you can go.

Alright, just had to post to this quote AGAIN.
    Esp after today's trip back to Ms Herky-Jerky's class 'cause it was a riot. :laugh: This Zumba instructor prefers to face the class and not the mirror like most instructors do, well she tried to explain how we should follow...so facing us, she moves with her right foot and expect us to move w/our right, BUT naturally that has us moving opposite her...:huh: :happy:
    So I do as she explains, but the rest of the class (mostly newbies) mirror her and so instead lead with their left foot! :noway:
    What a mess of a class....we're all BUMPING INTO ONE ANOTHER, 'cause she has all 60 of us running across the room doing funky hip thrusts and swinging our arms slapping one another up side the head....WILD!

I think I'll go back next w/e just to come away with a giggle or two :devil: :laugh: :devil:
  • thenebean9
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I'm Athina - a 31 y/o Zumba instructor who hates a lot of foods, but for the sake of picking one, I'll say steak. i'm sure i'll get a rise out of some people for that!

A few things about Zumba - people who get licensed to teach don't have to pass a test, so sometimes you have to take a few Zumba classes to find one that's really right for you. Hopefully some of these "Zumba" instructors are so bad that they weed themselves out by chasing all their people away to the Zumba instructors that really do know what they're doing! I have no dance background whatsoever, but when I get to class I bring all the energy and positivity I can to make up for it! I do have rhythm at least ;) I shake what I got and my class follows my lead. Zumba instructors don't have to be great dancers, they just have to be great at teaching and inspiring their class to feel the Zumba love and get a great workout! :)

So if you've had a crummy live class, try a new one out! All zumba instructors are different - you'll eventually find one you love to take class with! :)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Esp after today's trip back to Ms Herky-Jerky's class 'cause it was a riot. :laugh: This Zumba instructor prefers to face the class and not the mirror like most instructors do, well she tried to explain how we should follow...so facing us, she moves with her right foot and expect us to move w/our right, BUT naturally that has us moving opposite her...:huh: :happy:
    So I do as she explains, but the rest of the class (mostly newbies) mirror her and so instead lead with their left foot! :noway:
    What a mess of a class....we're all BUMPING INTO ONE ANOTHER, 'cause she has all 60 of us running across the room doing funky hip thrusts and swinging our arms slapping one another up side the head....WILD!

I think I'll go back next w/e just to come away with a giggle or two :devil: :laugh: :devil:
    :laugh: I'm at my desk cracking up!!! It is way too bad that 1. she was able to become certified and 2. the gym/studio actually hired her to teach! WTF???
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    I normally don't like 'exercise classes' but y'all have inspired me to look into who does it in my area. I think I'd like the exercise 'cause I love to dance and have followed along at home.:heart:
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    hi

i hope you dont mind me gastecrashing

i did zumba for over a year until i got calf pain, i have been gradually been reintroducing it and i love it!

x
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I normally don't like 'exercise classes' but y'all have inspired me to look into who does it in my area. I think I'd like the exercise 'cause I love to dance and have followed along at home.:heart:

Zumba is so much more than Exercise Class! You will see if you can get into a class near by. It comes with community and a fun, carefree atmosphere where you don't have to feel judged!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options

Alright, just had to post to this quote AGAIN.

Miss Herky Jerky --- That cracked me up! I KNOW some Miss Herky Jerkys!
  • mandyarostegui
    mandyarostegui Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm Kelly.I hate oatmeal, but love Zumba so much I get up early on Saturday mornings to be the first one at my gym so I can get in the front row.Love bellydancing too - but there's no exercise I've found better than Zumba.
    Does anyone else hear the music in their heads while they're at work?

Haha Kelly!! This is our group in our Zumba class! Pitbull is a huge in our Zumba group... and every time we hear a song, we're all jammin' away!
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi can I join in please ? :)

I am afraid I can't make classes because of hours my husband works and having the children to care for BUT I do my Zumba dvd at least 3 times a week (5 last week :) )

i HATE kidney beans - yuck!
  • mandyarostegui
    mandyarostegui Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wanted to pop in and say hello!

I have been going to Zumba classes since May of 2009 and completely addicted! I have been blessed to find an AMAZING instructor and meet some great friends along the way! My husband actually goes with me, too :) It's so much fun for us...and shamefully, he shakes it better than I ever could on my best day :)

We do a pretty good mix of hip hopish moves mixed with Zumba... and some of our classes are more "funk" than Zumba... but still a blast :)

So glad to meet so many others who love it as much as I do :)
  • DancingPixie
    DancingPixie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thursday just gone our instructor forgot one of the moves n the hole room went into laughter pmsl! Such a giggle and i have recommended loads of people now! :)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to bump this.
  • thenebean9
    Options
    Can I just say I'm finally getting over this darn cold that's plagued me for almost a week and I get to teach a Zumba class tonight and I can't friggin WAIT! :D I've been dancing around all day waiting for class! Only 2 and a half more hours! ;)
  • LilyBugsMommy
    LilyBugsMommy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am April and I am hoping to attend my very first Zumba class this weekend!
    I have friends who go and love it!! I love to dance so I think I will really enjoy it as well!
    I am 37 and have a 19 year old and almost 1 year old daughter, lol! Plus, two step-sons!!
  • theresamasucci
    theresamasucci Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Theresa. I ordered my Zumba DVD's about ten days ago and cannot wait to get them to get started.
    I love to dance but have had no exercise in about a year, except my planks and some pushups I do every day. I hope to be able to move and get started with something that really will get me excited. The commercials look like so much fun. I will certainly need encouragement to keep going, so I am counting on all of you to keep me going. I will post when they come in! It is great to hear about all of your great moves~

I really just love to eat but it is important to feed my body well, so that is what I am concentrating on.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'm new here...thank you Hooah_mj...Hello all!!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    Hey everyone, come join me in the March thread if you like!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/184349-the-zumba-crew-march