Is anybody else eating 1200 calories per day?

Options
Hey guys,

I thought i'd throw this question out here because this is the calorie allowance that MFP recommended to me BUT I am finding that I am growing increasingly hungry towards the latter part of the day.

I just wondered whether anyone else is eating this amount of calories and if so,what level of success did you find?

Thank you!!!

Replies

• EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I always feel fine off 1200 but I guess it depends how much you have to lose and how much you are used to eating normally. Your body should adjust in a few days :smile:
  • southern_gurl
    Options
    I also have a calorie allowance of 1200 per day. For the first couple of weeks, I found myself growing hungry at night, the time I used to snack. I drank a ton of water and made healthy snack choices when water just wouldn't cut it (ie veggie sticks, oatmeal, etc) I seem to be handling it a little better now, but maybe you need to re-evaluate, you may need more calories in a day. Hang in there, it does get easier.........:flowerforyou:
  • cdcrn
    cdcrn Posts: 2
    Options
    I am doing 1200 cal/day and I find that I am more hungry during the early afternoon. I have only been doing it for almost two weeks and it was/is quite an adjustment. I thought i was eating fairly well, but when i started logging my food i realized I was not eating as well as i had thought. I eat a bigger dinner than i do lunch so that probably helps me not get too hungry in the evening. I usually eat cereal for lunch, depending on the day. Also, if i know what im having for dinner, I try to log in early in the day so that i can see where i can have more calories!! Hope this helps!!
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? If so, you should be eating a large portion of your exercise calories.
  • dutaut89
    Options
    I've just started this a few days ago and my goal is also 1200 calories a day. I'm only trying to shift a few pounds, but what I'm struggling with is that today for example, my calories add up to 1150 (ish) and so I'm told i'm under eating, but i'm ever so slightly over on my carb content :\.

I did find yesterday that I was starving by dinner time but I've just been keeping fresh fruit around to snack on!

I'm now trying to drink plenty of water and eat lunch a little bit later in the day!

Hope that helps
  • sarahbagley
    sarahbagley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i just workout and then have calories added to my allowance. another trick i use is, i don't stay up anymore. i go straight to bed when i start feeling hungry.
  • SweetToothFreak
    Options
    MFP gave me a 1200 calories per day also but when I work out I get extra calories. If I didn't get those extra calories there is no way I would make it! If you are working out you have to log your exersice and then it will add the calories back on. I have actually found that I am less hungry in the afternoon but breakfast... Watch out!
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I tried eating at least half my exercise calories and it made me feel sick so now I stick with 1200 (except for this week and next, Im doing 1000 , per doctor, to help jump start my metablism
  • appleshells
    Options
    I am not set at 1200 but there are many days when that's all I eat. Yesterday with excercise I was only at 900 calories. It was so hard but I had to force myself to "snack" to bring myself up to 1200. It will get better.
  • tamlyn27
    Options
    Try to increase your protein. ( shrimp and chicken are pretty low), It helps you feel like you are eating something substancial. Good luck and keep going!
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 is the typical allotment for "average" dieters. I am actually at 1000 (or that's my goal) so hunger is something that goes with it. I had to get out of the mindset that just because it is lunch doesn't mean I have to eat a typical "lunch meal"....I didn't need a whole sandwich, maybe just the meat only with a yogurt, or half a sandwich. I have always heard to not think it terms of "meals" but 5-6 equal portioned "mini-meals" or snacks throughout the day.
  • I eat 1200 calories a day but I also work out as often as I can so I eat my extra workout calories at night and I usually end up not eating all the excess bc I am so full. LOL
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Up your exercise, so you can eat more.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 up intill last week , then it updated and added another 90 cals. for a total now of 1290 cals a day. There's some days when I find it very hard to get everything in ! When your eating to meet you goals and everthing is a healthy food you should be feeling very satified. But if your eating to satify cravings your foods my be to high in calories. Veggies are very low calorie but very filling. Good luck to you on this journey !
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also on a 1,200 calorie-a-day "budget". I'm noticing that I get more hungry mid-afternoon. I think it's because I usually only have salad for lunch and for breakfast and dinner I always eat some sort of good carb (usually oatmeal for breakfast and a side of whole wheat pasta and veggies for dinner). Anyway, when I find I'm hungry I either try and have a healthy snack with minimal calories or just drink a ton of water which usually helps fill me up. In addition, I try and keep busy so that I don't notice the hunger. Everyone is different. That's just what works for me. :smile:
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about 1100 a day and I rarely ever feel hungry.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    when i first joined i shot for the 1200 calorie plan. I felt hungry and deprived and constanly stressed out over my numbers; so I changed my goals to 1 lb. loss (which added about 270 calories). I find it so much easier, i still have days that I aim for a 1200 calorie goal, altgough I leave my setting the same. The key to this program is to examine what you are eating. If one does not feed their body the nutruient it needs then your body will crave and causes binge eating. Cut out as much processed foods as you can, eat fresh fruits and vegetables, watch your sodium. Oh and another kicker just because a label says 0 calories per serving, doesnt make it true. After all who sprays Pam for 1/4 of a second.
  • I'm on 1200 calories and can often manage on that, but it's the fat allowance I try to keep on top of.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and have been for ages... and still find it difficult! One bad decision and I'm over my target. It takes planning and good snacks to make it, but it is possible. I actually find the meals part fine, e.g. I can eat low cal meals and feel full and satisfied, but I do find I'm hungry all morning so I constantly snack! Just listen to your body and whatever you do, if you're hungry, eat.
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    MFP has my recommendation set to 1200 calories and it works great for me. When I add in exercise, I put in heavy workouts and burn around 800 extra a day. I don't eat all of my exercise calories though, since that number is based on the readouts from the gym machines which tend to overestimate. I do try to add in 300 additional calries on gym days, though.

As for your hunger being an issue, cut down on the fruit which is high in sugar and try snacking on raw veggies, protein, low sodium V8 juice, and whole wheat crackers instead. They are more filling and won't spike your blood sugar the way fruit does. That was one I had to learn the hard way as I am a fruit grazer of the first magnatude.

My veggies of choice are baby carrots, raw sugar snap peas and sliced raw zuchinni.