Is anybody else eating 1200 calories per day?

Options

Replies

• scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 calorie for several weeks and did lose and then I plateaued for a week and felt hungry all the time and wasn't enjoying it (I certainly wasn't going to live like that for the next 60 years!), so I changed my weight loss to 1lb per week (which at 146 lbs was probably more suitable anyways) three days ago to 1360 calories per day. I've already broke through the plateau and I feel much better and often more "satisfied" than just simply "not hungry". The extra few calories made a huge difference!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    1200 for me. I had to get used to feeling hungry.

Success? Look at my ticker :wink:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Try to eat 300 calories at each meal and three 100 calorie snacks each day. If you keep food in your stomach every couple of hours it should help. Also make sure there is fiber and protein in each meal and snack. They take longer to digest, keeping you feeling satisfied longer. Drink a glass of water with each meal and snack as well. You can up your calories by changing the number of pounds you want to lose per week. If you have it set to lose two pounds per week you may want to change it to one. You'll be allowed more calories each day and still will see results. Good luck!
  • fitnesspal5
    Options
    Thank you very much for all of your replies!

There are definitely some tips there that I am going to make use of. I think my main problem is that I have been still eating some higher calorie foods but just making sure that I stay within my allowance. I am going to start steering away from anything processed and enjoy fresh foods and lots of veg. I know that my calorie allowance will definitely stretch when I do this and I probably won't even reach 1200 each day.

Oh and I have GOT to increase my water consumption! I know that makes all the difference.

You're all doing so well and you are definitely motivating me to stop overeating! I just LOVE reading all of the progress that everyone is making and the tips that are offered. You're all inspirations!!!
  • missie21
    missie21 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My intake also tell me 1200 but I try to wait to have my breakfast as late as possible just so I can have more food options later in the day.. I find that in the afternoon I want stuff to nibble on and after dinner is really when I want snacks.... but i also work out 3 days a week and that helps it gives me more food/ cal.

Good luck to everyone... I have just started my journey...
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1200 since I started in at the end of Dec 2009. I am within 1 pound of my goal weight and have plateaued. But I found that I would plateau for a week or two, sometimes even longer, then I would drop 2 or three pounds in days. I don't eat my exercise calories, and seldom eat all of the 1200 calories allowed. When I exercise at night I feel a lot better and don't get the hungries before going to bed. I save a low calorie snack for evening, like a sugar free fudgsicle, sugar free pudding, or something like that. I have also stopped having a "big" meal each day; and found that if I cut what I was eating, before mfp,in half I could eat about anything I wanted and not blow the day and not have cravings either.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1500, plus I eat most of my exercise calories. (That's what MFP has set for me to lose 1lb/week.) Life is too short to be hungry!
  • pgray1229
    pgray1229 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was at 1300 calories a day, but my weight loss has slowed down, so I am now going down to 1200. I was always satisfied on 1300, but I don't see a big issue with cutting out 100 calories.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am doing 1200 and practice daily modified IF, eating between 12pm and 8pm. I keep busy in the morning and slowly sip and enjoy iced tea and/or a protein mocha till noon. Otherwise nights are miserable for me... This way I get to eat to satisfaction at least twice and then exercise, bath, & bed.

If I stall, I actually increase my calories and carbs for one day, to the max (total calories burned for the day)...Go back to 1200 the next and I can count on a couple lb loss the next morning. So far, it's worked every time.
  • MissKriss3
    MissKriss3 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I thought i'd throw this question out here because this is the calorie allowance that MFP recommended to me BUT I am finding that I am growing increasingly hungry towards the latter part of the day.

I just wondered whether anyone else is eating this amount of calories and if so,what level of success did you find?

Thank you!!!

At 1200 calories MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories, so technically you should be eating more than that.
  • HelloAmbie
    HelloAmbie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry eat more, and then make up the difference with exercise to net your calorie goal at the end of the day. Don't go hungry.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • cjsroute24
    cjsroute24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am set at 1200, but I rarely only eat 1200 because I exercise everyday just so I can eat more! lol

I try to exercise an hour a day, but at the very minimum I try to do a half hour! I don't usually eat ALL my exercise calories, but at least it helps give me a few more so that I can eat SOMETHING in the evening to alleviate those snack cravings!

Good Luck!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories for desert daily. 1200 for a day would make me sad.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You know what makes me sad? 2+ year old threads.

Well, that and extreme calorie deficits.
  • watermelonloverr
    Options
    well i do that too, and the best thing i figured out is to eat more earlier during the day , and less as it gets later
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

If you creep those who are saying "1200 is fine", I haven't seen one that's still active, or reached goal 2 years later. Of course, I only checked the first 10 people or so, but still.

What is it that you keep saying, Jof? That people give the diet all the credit for the loss, but themselves all the blame for stagnation/regains? Instead of seeing that it was the extreme deficit that is unsustainable.
  • lauramom99
    lauramom99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is excellent advice.
  • lauramom99
    lauramom99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try to eat 300 calories at each meal and three 100 calorie snacks each day. If you keep food in your stomach every couple of hours it should help. Also make sure there is fiber and protein in each meal and snack. They take longer to digest, keeping you feeling satisfied longer. Drink a glass of water with each meal and snack as well. You can up your calories by changing the number of pounds you want to lose per week. If you have it set to lose two pounds per week you may want to change it to one. You'll be allowed more calories each day and still will see results. Good luck!

This is excellent advice! When I started my weight loss journey, a friend told me to eat something every 3 hours. I also have found a lot of great recipes online. If I make food in a healthy way, reducing the calorie and fat content, I feel much fuller. After the initial week, I have not had a problem feeling full on 1200 cal/day.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options

If you creep those who are saying "1200 is fine", I haven't seen one that's still active, or reached goal 2 years later. Of course, I only checked the first 10 people or so, but still.

What is it that you keep saying, Jof? That people give the diet all the credit for the loss, but themselves all the blame for stagnation/regains? Instead of seeing that it was the extreme deficit that is unsustainable.
    That's the first thing I noticed too!