Do you prefer to workout at home or the gym?

Options
I'm debating between buying a gym pass or a treadmill. I have a Bowflex at home already, so I'm thinking if I add the treadmill I pretty much have a gym....only problem is motivating myself to use the stuff! Maybe your opinions can help. Home or Gym and why??

Replies

• dawnkitchen
    Options
    I go to the gym, but this is mostly because I don't have any weight machines available otherwise. I also have a personal trainer at the gym, which is another perk. He definitely works me out harder than I can work myself out.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I like the gym, but am currently in the situation where I have to work out at home. I like GOING somewhere. Getting out of the house, changing my surroundings. It's to easy for me to get involved in something at home and miss my work out...or even trying to get my butt off the couch...I find when I go to the gym it's super easy just to get my gym strip on, bounce out the door and go for an hour.
  • autumtg
    autumtg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym. I can't workout with my kids around at home. They are younger so I can't keep them distracted long enough to get in a good workout.
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do my work outs at home. For me it's easier to get up early in the morning, change clothes, and go downstairs to work out. I don't have the take the extra time to commute to/from a gym. Plus, it saves money.
  • AkBUTLER
    AkBUTLER Posts: 107
    Options
    I do both. Its nice to go to the gym because I take classes and gain more motivation by the others that are in my class. I have a few videos at the house I do on days that I cant make it to the gym.
  • SaralovesM
    Options
    I work out at home, i feel more comfortable and spend more time concentrating on excerise rather then how i look when i am sweating.. It kind of puts me off.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym. It's easier to get my strength work outs there because they have all the different weights and I'm trying to get stronger and lift heavier weights versus just doing more reps with my 5 lbs dumbbells or whatever. Also, I have to have some variety in my work out... and $19 per month versus $10 every time I want a new DVD and having access to every machine imaginable is much better to me.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Home, for sure. I couldnt live without my treadmill :) I love the programs on there, and it has a built-in TV, so I never have an excuse to skip a run! :)

Its sooo convenient if you have the determination and the self-discipline to make yourself get on the treadmill at home. Im too self ocnscious to work out in a gym.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I do everything at home with dumbells and a treadmill. I may add a power rack some day. I like being able to grunt and cry and sweat and moan and make ugly struggling faces in the privacy of my own home :happy: . I hate the gym for various reasons, but if I keep progressing, I suppose I may have to join one at some point, to add some variety to my work outs. In particular, it's hard for me to get a good lower body workout with just dumbells.

Edit: Also, I don't have to conjure up any extra motivation to actually leave the house and go somewhere since everything is right there at my disposal already.
  • mom2littleguys
    Options
    I work out at home, i feel more comfortable and spend more time concentrating on excerise rather then how i look when i am sweating.. It kind of puts me off.

I'm kind of worried about that too! LOL I live in a very small town and don't really want everyone I know watching me...but I also have small children that do NOT like to let me have "me time"....hmmm tough decision
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I say gym. Since you know you are paying a lot of money to go, it makes you more motivated to go. Plus there are less distractions like kids, hubby, phone, people stopping over. Plus, there is more variety at the gym. I do home works out very occasionally. Liek today I did, way to much snow to dig out of to get to the gym!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Used to be a gym rat but got tired of waiting on equipment, slobs who left the benches all sweaty, etc so I slowly but surely bought all of the equipment for a commercial gym setup in my garage. Hardly use any of it now because my workouts are mostly P90X & Insanity but I'm going to soon integrate a Crossfit-type workout in once a week.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am a workout at home girl. I have a treadmill, a stationary bike, wii fit, and On Demand exercise TV. I love that I can work out as long as I like and have some choices. I can get as sweaty and gross as I want, use my shirt to wipe my face (I wouldn't do that in public), listen to music super loud and quiz an exercise class (on TV) if I don't like it. I find that when I get on the treadmill to do three miles, I stick it out for five. No one is breathing down my neck and I can take all the time I want. I can run to go pee (drinking all my water) without having to stop the counter on my treadmill and jump back on right away. Whatever works for you is what is important, but I love working out at home!
  • mom2littleguys
    Options
    I am a workout at home girl. I have a treadmill, a stationary bike, wii fit, and On Demand exercise TV. I love that I can work out as long as I like and have some choices. I can get as sweaty and gross as I want, use my shirt to wipe my face (I wouldn't do that in public), listen to music super loud and quiz an exercise class (on TV) if I don't like it. I find that when I get on the treadmill to do three miles, I stick it out for five. No one is breathing down my neck and I can take all the time I want. I can run to go pee (drinking all my water) without having to stop the counter on my treadmill and jump back on right away. Whatever works for you is what is important, but I love working out at home!

Very good points! Thank You
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I actually like them both. At the gym I like being around others that are focus like me. On days I don't feel like driving or I just want to switch it up I pop in a dvd or I use my xbox connect.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I personally NEED to go to the gym. For one, I will never be able to have the advantage of all the equipment/classes available at home. It's more motivating and more fun to work out with others for me. Sure I could pop in a DVD at home but who would know if I decided to sit down and watch it with a bag of m&m's? In a class where there are other people I never wanna look like I am taking the lazy way out so I give it my all... and watching others give it their all motivates me too. Even back in the day when I used to do Tae Bo tapes as a workout... I WENT somewhere and met with a group to do them. I just do better that way.

Having said all that... I am wishing right now that I had SOMETHING at home to do tomorrow because they are closing the schools due to predicted ice on the roads... a rare occurrence here in south Louisiana... I might just have to take my chances on the road to get to the gym.... LOL
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I prefer working out at home/in my neighborhood (we have trails etc).
    I'm too self conscious right now to work out with a bunch of gym rats lol. Plus, since I have a clingy 6 month old and 3 year old, there is NO way I could get the gym daycare to take them- my baby would cry intensely, so there is no point. I cannot do it after my husband comes home from work (I'm a SAHM) since my husband has a lot of responsibilities himself with our older kids.
    Scheduling, convenience, privacy are the reasons why I prefer to work out at home for now.
    When I'm leaner and meaner I'll hit the gym!
  • Ambria0516
    Options
    I work out at home to Biggest loser DVD's. I feel too self conscious to go to the gym at my current weight.
  • DTetz
    DTetz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    GYM because it gives me that mine set and I am around people who are trying to get in shape just like me :) also paying the membership each month makes me want to go so I am not wasting my money, plus I feel like I am apart of somethings and they offer some free ab core classes and zumba... I just like the environment, it makes me feel good.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    GYM because it gives me that mine set and I am around people who are trying to get in shape just like me :) also paying the membership each month makes me want to go so I am not wasting my money, plus I feel like I am apart of somethings and they offer some free ab core classes and zumba... I just like the environment, it makes me feel good.

I agree!!! I seem to work out harder when I am at the gym.