How do you avoid binging???

Options
2»

Replies

• nataydn
    Options
    I have a few personal rules. I log my food and exercise in and then decide that I am going to drink water for the rest of the evening. I can't have carbs after 4pm or dinner after 6pm. There are more tips and tricks, perhaps I will blog about this.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've been finding healthy alternatives to my favourite cravings. To chase away the sweet cravings, I've been starting my day with homemade oatmeal with dried fruit, some banana or apple mixed in for sweetness, and cinnamon and nutmeg. This keeps me full most of the morning, and is a much better alternative to sugar and butter-laden oatmeal cookies. My other pitfalls are crisps and cheese. I've started using light Philly cheese or cottage cheese when I have a cheese craving, and when craving crisps I treat myself to a wee bit of salt sprinkled on my snacking veg. I also drink water first any time I start feeling hungry ... it makes me slow down and think about my eating rather than just grabbing whatever comes to hand. But ultimately, I agree with the other poster that says you have to want to do this for yourself.
  • sassyfied
    Options
    I don't think anybody who binge eats lacks willpower or self control. If it was just a matter of wanting to change then we would all be acting in in accordance with our wishes. I know for me personally that it was deprivation and weight loss dieting that started off my binge eating disorder, so it was changing my thoughts in regarding to those that helped me recover.

It sounds trite, but simply loving myself and my body was the first step in healing. When you love and respect your body, you actually don't want to harm it by feeding it until it is sick. Also, not looking at foods as good or bad, but simply having different nutritional values for and in different circumstances (ie, dining out or other celebrations).

Deprivation also has a part to play in that even subconsciously, we can rebel in what we deny ourselves. There are many books that talk about processes of intuitive eating and giving permission to have certain foods. It is not an easy process, will not happen overnight and cannot be forced.

As far as exercise goes, changing thoughts you have about why and how you exercise is also beneficial. Seeing exercise as a punishment for eating, being overweight or simply overworking and undernourished body is not going to get you anywhere. Moving your body in ways that keep it strong and your heart healthy is a wonderful thing to do. Lifting weights because it is beneficial now and later in life is also great.

This is an important subject to me and not one that I treat lightly. If you seriously are not just looking into a quick weight loss fix, but want to challenge actions and thinking, there are a lot of resources out there. The computer is your friend! Believe me, I have binged my way to hell and seen the light again:)
  • sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Find something to distract you. Go out and meet friends, put yourself in a situation where it is not socially acceptable to sit and eat and eat. Whatever your hobby is, do it because you'll become so absorbed you'll forget about wanting to eat. Boredom is a big factor in binging I think.

I also find it is good to keep your hands busy with knitting or something like that. Avoid the television because there is a kind of nostalgic association with it that feels like you should be eating something when you are watching (plus your hands are free). Also when you watch television there are always insanely slim people on it that make you feel depressed and feed the cycle of feeling down and then eating.

:smile: