1100 calorie diet + 5 days a wk at gym =NO WEIGHT LOSS!! GR

Options
I don't get it. I am on a meal plan, set by my trainer. I go to the gym between 4-6 days a week. I've been doing the gym since early November and on the meal plan since Jan 28th! I've stuck to it, with the exception of a couple of times -but NEVER going over my caloric intake! Have i lost any weight? Maybe 1 pound... but i've put that pound back on! WTH? Is it really and truly all about the water? I'm beginning to think so...

-Cici

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting?
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Eating your exercise calories? You should be eating 1200 NET calories (1200 + exercise calories) per day or risk slowing your metabolism, thus halting weight loss.
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Your body is in starvation mode.....you must eat at least 1200 a day or your body won't budge!
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you're not eating ENOUGH....As bizarre as that sounds, I was having EXACTLY the same issue....I didn't even realize that I wasn't consuming enough calories! As soon as I started eating 1,200 per day, PLUS eating whatever calories I burned while I exercised, I started dropping weight like I should be! I've lost 3 lbs. in the last two and a half weeks!
  • cici6477
    Options
    not really any different. I started with my pants a little big on me anyway... I'm always having to pull them up... but it doesn't feel any different than before. :(
    My husband says he sees a difference in my neck and face... but i just dont' see it.
  • Lorrainedear
    Options
    have you lost any inches? apparently that is the main thing, and muscle weighs more than fat
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE!!! If you are exercising 5 days a week, your body needs more fuel.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I bet your not eating enough. Are you doing weight training? You could be buliding musles which weigh more than fat. But I bet your not eating enough
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    What type of calories? A calorie isn't just a calorie. Exercising that much calls for more calories, and good quality ones (not fast food or frozen dinners).
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body has gone into starvation mode. You need at least 1200 calories a day; more if you are working out.
  • Lorrainedear
    Options
    I didn't realize that either - I better start making sure I make the 1200.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Too few calories. Eat more. I fell into this trap last year. At first the weight fell off, then nothing for months. I ended up putting 12 lbs back on then started again eating at least 1600 calories per day, often more (up to around 2200). I'm steadily losing just over 1lb per week now.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Read these threads!!!! It will all become clear :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Also, the thread Zebra posted. You need to eat to lose!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Remember 99% of trainers out there are not nutritionists. Eat more, your body needs food to fuel your workouts, without proper nutrition fuel your body cannot function properly and will also burn muscle instead of fat to use for energy, which is not a good thing.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Remember 99% of trainers out there are not nutritionists. Eat more, your body needs food to fuel your workouts, without proper nutrition fuel your body cannot function properly and will also burn muscle instead of fat to use for energy, which is not a good thing.

What he said.
  • cici6477
    Options
    I fill my calories and workout at night -after all food has been eaten.

My trainer has me on this meal plan. I've got one more week on it and then she said we would talk after that.

I have lost inches, but I did that BEFORE i started the meal plan. From Nov- end of Dec, i lost 1 inch in my waist and no less than 1/4 of inch every where else. So thats good and all... but i want to see the scales say it!! VERY FRUSTRATING!

I am weight training, but only low weights. I lift no more than 25lbs anywhere.

No carbs -no softdrinks -only green veggies - no salt -no sauces -no dressing on salads. All i eat is freakin chicken.. cause i just can't do fish.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    1100 calories set by your trainer? I hate to question a fitness professional but that is really low. Unless you are a seriously tiny person, your resting metabolic rate (the calories you burn simply being alive) will be higher than that. From there you need to consider the calories you burn doing daily activities, as well as meaningful exercise. Consuming that few calories could cause your metabolism to slow down, and your body to burn muscle for fuel.

I strongly recommend eating more. I recently upped my calorie intake to resting metabloic rate + daily activity + exercise, then subtracted 20% as my calorie deficit. I eat around 1,800 calories a day and the weight is dropping! Good luck....hope you land on a solution that works for you! :)
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    So true eric. You don't want to turn into one of those skinny fat people with no muscle. Ick!
    :)
  • rache12581
    Options
    Everyone is right, you nedd at least 1200 calories! Especially if your working out. I hope you give it a try, I promise it will work. This happened to me once too. Good Luck!