HELP ME! I need to get in shape. P90X Sucks!

Options
13»

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Another idea, if you have NetFlix - you can search DVD's on there for free. You can also find good workouts on youtube.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    P90X "sucks"...for now. I can tell it isn't going to "suck," hopefully really soon. Me: I'm way out of shape, my body is really sloppy, the only way it could be worse is if I was markedly obese or something. I really have "taken it easy" for way too long, and lost whatever average semi-decent level of fitness I reached back in like '06.

It takes me twice as long to do the workouts right now in some cases, and that's not even doing every single rep they do or anything like that. Lots of pauses. The place I am living in has this kind of open floor plan with a little circular path such that I can go room to room around the house. Well, I've probably done hundreds of walking laps already, just to keep moving while having the program on pause simply because I couldn't function anymore. But Tony tells me not to sit or have a donut, and that's why I keep pausing, walking around, sipping water at times, and then eventually hitting 'play' again. Even if it's only minute-and-a-half intervals, I inch through the program.

I know how you felt when trying to do it, I had a few moments like that. I dare say that now, on day 6, I am seeing changes in my endurance, but it is probably too early to tell. I'm hoping to see some real undeniable, however subtle, changes by mid next week. I'm still pausing a gazillion times, but I think maybe that's going to start changing pretty fast. For now, still sucking wind here, but trying my damnedest to suck it up.

Anyway maybe you can try the Power 90 vids (though I hear they might be a little cheesy/stale and haven't been updated since the VHS days, and also can be much more repetitive since there are less workouts to look at than P90X). Or try free health/fitness websites for routines, etc.

I can throw you a friend invite, would really like to see someone else, who is maybe sucking wind too, go through this process. Today, Friday, I am on day 7, you'll be just a few days behind if you are going to continue with it.
  • tiffvea
    Options
    Good luck!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm in my second week of INSANITY too. I agree that modification is the key. If I can't keep up with speed, I just make sure I keep my form. I stop when I need too. I noticed a difference since last week and I push it harder each time I do it. Tomorrow is Pure Cardio- that kills me. I put my own music on that inspires me. I'm psyched because in two weeks it's cardio recovery. My goal is just get through the week.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you :):drinker:
  • rockyface1
    Options
    YOU HAVE TO PUSH YOURSELF! not everyone that starts p90x is in great shape. in fact, my friend tried and it SUCKED for him at first BUT it has FANTASTIC results and he looks better than ever. I suggest that you really, really try to do p90x because it really does work. it is intense i know, but if i had it i would definitely do it.

I saw that you stuck with p90x...good for you! i hope it works out for you!
  • todd_beavers
    todd_beavers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As someone who started this journey back in June 2010, I think I can relate to you quite well. I started with Power90 and over the 90 days, I lost 30 lbs. I then took 1 week off and then started P90x. Power90 did an amazing job of getting me ready for P90x. On day one of P90x, I could do 4 pullups (the chin was barely to the bar). By the end of P90x, I could finish a chest/back workout and then knock off 4 one handed pullups with EITHER hand!

www.letsendthetrend.com You can see pictures of me before and after at my website.

Point being, if you do even a little something everyday and control the diet along the way, you will see results. The harder you push and the stricter your diet, the better results you will get in 90 days. Hey, if day 1 were easy, then you would have no need to even do the workout. It's suppose to challenge you! I was sore even on day 90!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Get on Craigslist, a buy yourself a Nordic track, you can get one for 50$ if you watch for a few weeks. Or 100$ just about every day of the week.

My workout is 15 min of Nordic track every morning, and I do a strenuous walk UP a local trail (about 45min) every evening after work. For the last week I haven’t been able to do the walk, so I do another Nordic track workout instead.

I did that for almost a month then added some weight training 3 times a week. It is amazing how little it takes to start feeling better. My goal is to get into good enough shape to do P90X. Every few weeks, as I feel what I’m doing is getting easier I push my workouts to another level, increase weight, intensity, or duration, just enough to make it “hurt” again.

And about the girly exercise programs,,,,,,, I took an aerobic class in college,,, I was the only man in the class, got one hell of a workout, and made a couple friends too :wink:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about videos. Menshealth.com Has great circuit workouts, a lot of which only use a couple of dumbells. Try the Spartacus workout on their site, it is awesome and only takes about 40 minutes.

What this guy said. Push-Ups, Sit-ups, door jam pull ups...your body provides enough weight for you to get a work out at home.

I'm not saying the P90 and other Beachbody franchizes aren't good workouts. But some of you need to realize there are other ways to get in shape. If the OP doesn't want to do it, he doesn't have to do it.
  • kmoorer
    kmoorer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Billy Blanks DVD's PT 24/7 is a good one not as hard as P90X or any of his other Tae bo dvds
  • motivated42
    Options
    I am 42 yr old female who started out at 211 lbs 3wks ago. Started doing p90x and could not get through any of the videos at first. I thought I was going to die!! I found myself many times just staring at the video because I could not move! Trust me. It gets better. It will get a little easier as you continue so please don' t give up. I've lost 7lbs so far. weight currently at 204.