How much is your grocery bill every month?

Options
I am just curious. Going through some hard times right now, and wanted to get an idea how much everyone else that is eating healthy is paying.

Replies

• hollyshobbies
    Options
    i spend about 400 every month.... my bill has gone up about fifty bucks a shopping trip (every 2 weeks) since i started eating healthier...... but that also means my fiance stocks up on gummy bears and chocolate since he thinks he wont like every dinner i make.
  • sunshine119
    Options
    It is just my husband and I and we spend about $400 a month - so around $100 a week. We very rarely buy junk food and often buy "expensive" health foods like Kashi cereal and granola bars.
  • helenamonks
    Options
    Mine has gone up a lot too, but I'm not eating out which is saving me toooons of money. I'm paying about 100-120 per week, but I'm not spending any on fast food which used to be about 100 per week.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    It's just my Husband and I...we do $50 a week - we get our produce items on Sunday. Only one income comin' in at the moment - but it works for us & my strict diet. We save alot of money from not buyin' processed & fast foods...! My profile picture is proof :)
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It is more expensive to eat healthy food. Do you have Aldi in your area? Their produce is very reasonable and of good quality for the most part. It's prepackaged so you might have to buy more than you want, for instance, I like cucumber in my salad but they come 3 to a package and it's hard to use them up sometimes. But their romaine hearts and spring mix are excellent and at just over half the price of the other supermarkets in my area, are a real bargain.
  • ifeelsqueaky
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure how much I pay - maybe about £30-40 per week for the two of us, so that's about £160 per month I guess? I have been drinking a lot less alcohol and pop since I've started eating healthy so that's saved a bit of money and we don't eat fast food as much so that also helps. I think you can do eating healthy on a budget - I quite frequently buy tinned fruit and frozen fruit/veg instead of the fresh stuff. It might not be *as* nutritious but it'll do!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I spend about £400 a month for me and my bf ($650). It used to be £300 ($485) but that got a bit hard to keep to once I started buying more fresh food, such as salad food, chicken/mince beef and fresh fruit&veggies. I hate that convenience food is so cheap in comparison!
  • chrish1981
    Options
    For just my husband and me, the bill is about $500-$600 a month.

We have three animals too, though, so they require food, litter, treats, etc.

And the healthier we eat, the more expensive it gets!!!! SOOOO not fair!
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    In the last two weeks, we have spent $250 on groceries...buying turkey, veggies, fruit, whole wheat everything etc.... Usually, we only spend about $300 a month....so, I can say that our grocery bill has gone up considerably. I talked with my Dad about this today....and try thinking of it this way

1) you spend more on healthy, good for your groceries
    2) you spend less on eating out
    3) you're in better health, so chances are you're paying less for healthcare
    4) longterm health will improve as well....which means life long savings

I know it *feels* like a lot, but it's 100% worth it in the end.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    we food shop every week and our bill has actually gone down from about 100-120, to 80-90 a week now that we aren't buying processed foods and junk. we go to a local farmers market and can get enough fruits and veggies for the both of us for 25 or under. also, when you actually portion everything out it's amazing how much longer food lasts.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    We spend about $480 a month for the two of us. *siiiigh* Groceries are expensive. But it's worth it to eat healthy!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I spend apx $150-$200 per week. This includes feeding my daycare kids (12 kids) 2 meals and a snack m-f. It's still more than I want to spend but I keep track of sales, buy in bulk, coupons, etc... Anything to try and save a little money.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    more than $500....but totally worth it!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I take out 100 every Monday and go shopping with that. It's like a game for me :) I am buying for a family of 3; my husband, myself, and my 2 1/2 year old daughter. So some months are 500 and some months I spend 400 just depending on the weeks. Plus, I have extra cash at the end of the month because I never spend the full 100. I recommend sitting down and making a meal plan for the week. It's what got our crazy grocery bill in check!

ETA: I live in California...that'll give you an idea because food costs will cost differently everywhere!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    for my family of 4 I feed everyone meals at home 7 days a week (okay we eat out twice a month!) for $280 a month.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    For me, my husband, and our 2 year old, we spend about $150 a week on food. So about $600 a month. This doesn't include things like paper towels and dishwashing detergent, this is just a food estimate.

I also live in one of the most expensive areas in the United States though, lol.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    my husband and i spend about $75-100 a week and go out to eat only 1x weekly. we spend as much on food now eating healthy as we used to, only now i look a lot better lol
  • heb14
    heb14 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    On my soap box for just a moment--
    Realize that in the times around World War 2, families spent over 30% of their income on food.
    We currently average less than 10% on our food.
    Interesting, no?

Healthier food costs more, but remember how you feel after eating a nutritious meal of veggies, fruit and grains? Then eat some junk food the next and see how sluggish you feel.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from $200 - $400 every month, along with $50 - $150 worth of supplements every month or two
  • AkBUTLER
    AkBUTLER Posts: 107
    Options
    I try to keep a budget of $125 every two weeks- $300 monthly for my son and I. I also clip coupons though.