How much is your grocery bill every month?

Options

Replies

• LosingTheInches
    Options
    i spend about 100$ a month, i live by myself. and i only eat 1200 cals a day.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    We spend 1000 a month on groceries, 1050 if you count the bag of dog food.6 children, husband and I and my German shepherd.
  • cowpoke06
    Options
    It is more expensive to eat healthy food. Do you have Aldi in your area? Their produce is very reasonable and of good quality for the most part. It's prepackaged so you might have to buy more than you want, for instance, I like cucumber in my salad but they come 3 to a package and it's hard to use them up sometimes. But their romaine hearts and spring mix are excellent and at just over half the price of the other supermarkets in my area, are a real bargain.

I do all of my shopping at Aldi. It's so much cheaper when you add it all up. My boyfriend and I do end up spending about $75 to $100 on average a week...sometimes less. This includes random trips to Meijer to pick up things we need between our biweekly grocery trips. Some things we spend more money (sashimi grade tuna @ $13.00 a pound so we can make homemade sushi) but most things we pick the cheap option. Unfortunately in my area, the aldi produce is less than stellar so we tend to get that at meijer.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    It truly depends on where I shop and what I make in my menu for each week. It can run between $75-$200. Per week. Generally when i spend $200 there is alot left over...so I would say a good average per month is about $500.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    For me and my husband, we spent $100 - $150.00 per month.
    He is a construction worker and eats a lot during the day.
    but it's no junk food or processed food and we eat 99.9% at home or packed from home.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Walmart is significantly cheaper than meijer.
  • pinksgirlfriend
    pinksgirlfriend Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    we have six people 3 adults two teenagers and one kid age 11....about $800.00 a month. a few trips to costco.... that breaks down into 133.00 per person... not 2 bad in my opinion. and yeah i spend more now with the healthy way of shopping.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It is just my husband and I and we spend about $400 a month - so around $100 a week. We very rarely buy junk food and often buy "expensive" health foods like Kashi cereal and granola bars.

ditto - we're vegetarian so a lot of our $$ is fresh produce
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    About $800 a month for family of four. It would be much cheaper if I wasn't here, cause I am the healhiest person in my family :P
    If I wasn't here they would be even more out of shape.
  • bluerose9483
    bluerose9483 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Usually about $100-$150, so about $400-$600 a month, depending on how low of things we are one and everything. But for the most part its about $400/month.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I can tell you exactly how much I spend at the grocery store..lol..one of my goals in 2010 was to start a budget. I just set averages and tracked my spending. I was really surprised to see where my money was going and it helped me make some minor changes. That said, I spent $184.32 ($36.87 per week) in the month of Jan. On the high end I have spent $270.72 ($54.00 per week). That was for me and my dog : ) It also includes non-edibles that you would pick up at walmart (like soap, detergent, etc.). I am a coupon user as well : ) Hope this helps.
  • Beastiephile
    Options
    Before I started eating healthy, me and my boyfriend would go out to eat for every meal. It became very costly, so we bought a small fridge and started eating food at home. That's when I started planning my meals very carefully and mindfully. Since then, for my own food I spent about $50 a week (we shop separately because I'm a vegan and he's not). I buy some things from Costco, which is a little costly up front but saves so much money in the long run.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    At a quick glance I would guess about $600 in January for the entire household purchases. That includes laundry products, paper goods, toiletries, medications and food. The food is the easy part of it, my guy doesn't care what brand I purchase food wise, as long as I can make it taste good. The other non food items he is VERY particular on the brand. He has his favorite products that he won't even consider changing. When I do buy brand name products I usually do so at the local warehouse store, and I buy them in multiples that last longer than a month.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    It's really not more expensive to eat healthy, contrary to what most people say. If you stock up on lots of whole grains and beans, you can eat for pennies a day. Subtract out all of the food you may have been spending on fast food or going out to restaurants when you track your budget, too.

Some of my friends spend a couple hundred dollars a month on medication for diabetes, cholesterol meds, and other preventable issues. Some of them even sleep with C-Pap machines. These expenses should be added to your grocery bills as well because as they eat healthy and lose weight people generally come off medications. Of course, the lessening of aches, pains, and depression - you can't really put a price on that. It should all be taken into consideration in an overall "health and wellness" section of your budget (that includes gym membership, if you have one). At least that's the way I like to do it.

We spend about $150-$200 a week on all of our groceries and home supplies. I need to cut back a little, though - I find myself not planning my meals well enough and having too much leftover food that I can't get to!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    We are a family of 4 and spend roughly around $200 per month on groceries. But, I am an extreme couponer (not too extreme) and only buy stuff (and buy it in bulk) when it's cheap/free.

We also only eat ground beef, chicken, and pork chops for the most part, so we don't have the expense of other meats and we aren't huge veggie eaters either, so we don't have that expense.
  • SevenisHeaven
    SevenisHeaven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Approx. 800-900. Yup.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    $600/month for a family of four, no eating out. We eat about 60% vegetarian for our dinners, almost no processed foods. That counts household goods like toilet paper and cleaners. I like to spend money on fancy organic stuff and ingredients like coconut oil and unusual grains, which can be really expensive.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    $200-$225 every 2 weeks.

Costs more to shop healthier.

Why is it that everything that is related to being healthy or that has the word "baby" in it is double the price??
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    For our household of 2 adults and 2 large dogs we spend:

$700.00 per year on a CSA membership which includes eggs and raw dairy items as well as fresh flowers in spring/summer, herbs, vegetables and fruit (whats in season) $58.50 per month average

$175.00 per month on meat from a local butcher.

About $100.00 for miscellaneous items from Wal-mart.
  • msemejuru
    Options
    I'm at $200 for a family of 5. I make most things from scratch including ketchup, bread, chips etc. My husband, son and Mother in Law are vegetarians so I'm normally in the produce isle shopping seasonally.