High Intensity Interval Training

Options
Anyone have experience with running HIIT exercises? I'm interested in adding it to my current regimen a couple of days per week. Right now I'm running about 4 miles per day 5 days per week at a 10 min mile pace. I would like to increase my speed and have heard good things about HIIT. How long do you do it, how long are your intervals, what intensity do you do them at and how many days per week? Also, I have heard that you burn more fat doing interval training. Do you burn more calories than what the machine reads or is just more of it fat than with a steady pace? What about after burn? Thanks!

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this too. There is lots of information about it online. Just google HIIT and it will give you schedules, as well as explanations about how it works. Makes things more interesting for a change, too.
  • cnwofor
    cnwofor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just wanted to add my 2 cent as a personal trainer who loves to train with HIIT.
    You have to first make sure you are already in decent shape which I believe you are from your training regimen.
    The next thing is the select a duration which can be as little as 5 minutes or as long as 20 minutes.
    The duration depends on your fitness level (start low and gradually build up) and the type of activity you chose to perform.
    For example if you want to do sprint intervals reaching 10 minutes will feel very hardcore whereas most people could go up to 20 minutes doing interval on a bike.
    The ratio ( Intense vs recover ) will also help determine how long you can do the activity.
    HIIT is amazing for fat loss and will do amazing stuff for increasing your V02 max and help you with your running. For best results you would want a balance program.
    Day 1: 10 min HIIT
    Day 2: 4 miles run
    Day 3: weights
    Day 4: 10 min HIIT
    day 5: 4 miles run
    This is a sample program I might use for someone trying to improve their running as well as achieve some fat loss.
    Hope it helps