THE MOST EVIL HEALTHY FOOD

Options
What would you say is the most evil healthy food? Sometimes I think food is good for me then I get a reality check. Potatos are probably my weakness. They are healthy but once you cook em with oil or margarine and salt etc they loose their good stuff. Also Stir Fry. All the veggies are great then you add the sauce!! Eeek!!

I guess my question is, what food would you say tricks most dieters?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Restaurant salads.
  • loriefolk
    Options
    Restaurant salads.

Definitely.
  • LizGogol
    LizGogol Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Totally! I am sure their dressings aren't calorie wise!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    salad for sure, its so easy to make a salad have as many cals as a burger, dried fruits,nuts,fried chicken,croutons,cheese,dressing,ect...
  • LizGogol
    Options
    omg it sounds delicious!! hahaha
  • bethann1976
    Options
    Would peanut butter fit in this category? Absolutely addictive, has many healthy things in it, but oh-so-high in calories.....
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    sushi.... I don't know if sushi was ever healthy but its deceptive like that....the sodium content in sushi is just ridiculous!

salads too.... definitely agree on that one.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with adding butter/cream etc. I don't think they are in and of themselves unhealthy. Engineered substitutes are more likely to be unhealthy for you than a little cream or butter.

Add the cream and butter, salt, pepper, garlic...and enjoy it. Just don't have a whole lot of it.

Salads can be wonderful. I love a good salad with romaine, cucumber, tomatoes, a little bit of bacon, and a little dressing. The dressing will kill you more than a little bacon. Just be smart about it.

Low fat stuff usually add more sugar to their stuff to make it taste better. Better to have full fat (like peanut butter) because the fat will satisfy you, whereas the sugar will run right through you and you'll be hungry again in no time.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the salad, especially restaurant salads! You think you're doing a good thing for yourself but end up eating more than half your daily calories! They tend to be really overloaded with "stuff", and that is where you run into trouble!

~Kelly
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    I have a weakness for potatoes too, but I have found a way to make them not so evil. I roast red potatoes with skin in a light covering of extra virgin olive oil, rosemary, and garlic. Add some fat free sour cream and they become a guilt-free pleasure!

I would have to agree with the restaurant salads...mostly because the dressings are deceptive!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I agree about the salads for the most part. But if you put a light vinaigrette on a simple grilled chicken salad, it's cool.

Another culprit would have to be fat free cookies. Goodness knows, I love them. But a serving is two cookies usually, and it can be tough to stop at just two cookies! I like the fat free newtons and I have discplined myself to only have two, but it was hard at first.
  • Emmeez
    Emmeez Posts: 10
    Options
    :| Muffins. Maybe not to everyone, but I remember people telling me, "oh yeah, muffins are fine for you :D" LIES. =_=
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Restaurant salads.

And the survey says...CORRECT!

That's the #1 answer.

I've seen restaurant salad entrees up to 1300 calories. Sweet Jesus.
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I definitely second the peanut butter comment. Trail mix can go horrible wrong as well
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are good as long as you don't load them up with all the calories. I agree with another poster that talked about baking them and adding fat free sour cream. I actually really like fat free sour cream. I like to put mrs. dash lemon pepper on top, too.

For mashed potatoes, when I make them for my family, I don't use butter. I use fat free chicken broth and maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cup of skim milk to make them. (some minced garlic adds extra flavor) They wind up to have about 150 calories for a cup. I have learned to measure and no longer put that gigantic mound of mashed potatoes on my plate.

Also, did you know that potatoes have about 16 calories per ounce? So you can subtract that when you make mashed potatoes without skins. :flowerforyou:
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I agree about restaurant salads. I always ask dressing on the side, no croutons, and do the fork dip thing. That at least partially salvages them. Lumping all salads into one category isn't right though. I love a huge homemade salad with tons of greens and whatever other veggies are lying about. Add just a little cheese for flavor and EVOO for dressing. Yum :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Would peanut butter fit in this category? Absolutely addictive, has many healthy things in it, but oh-so-high in calories.....

I almost said peanut butter, until I remembered about salad. MMM, peanut butter. I could eat the whole jar, but I limit it to 1-2 tablespoons a day.
  • newDZ
    newDZ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I say lowfat yogurt is deceptive, protein bar are deceptive and I have a friend who swears by SlimFAST shakes (fast forward 2yrs later she's added another 15lbs to the original 30 she wanted to lose from her slimfast yoyoing)
  • frogetmenot
    Options
    I also ask for salad dressing on the side, usually use oil and vinegar though. At home i love those salad spritzers ! Just don't go crazy with them ; those calories add up ! lol
  • LizGogol
    Options
    TRAIL MIX!! What is up with trail mix! It has such great healthy stuff in it but it can get up there on the calorie count!!