Help! I need Quick Dinner ideas and under 400 calories

AngieRevised
AngieRevised Posts: 61
edited September 23 in Recipes
Hey friends!

What is your most favortist, quickest dinner recipes??

I am mom of 3, all of the kids are in sports and all going different directions all year long....

Help Help Help!!!!

Thank You muchly,

Angie

Replies

• staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    bump
  • mresta
    mresta Posts: 33
    Bit of grilled fish, some steamed veg and a little garlic butter - quick, easy and healthy!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Hands down my family's favorite dinner is taco night. I buy the small dempsters or weight watchers whole wheat soft tortillas, about 90 calories each. We brown ground turkey and add 1 tsp of paprika, cumin, garlic pwdr, chili pwdr, pepper once it is cooked, then add 3/4 c water and let it simmer until the water has evaporated.
    I always have a can of the refried black beans on hand and fill my tortilla with the ground turkey, cucumber, peppers, lettuce, cilantro . . . I actually chop up the tomato and add it to the salsa to "freshen" it up and top off my tortilla with a heap of that. If you need a few more calories in your day also add some avacado.

There are never any leftovers with this meal and it is quick and easy!
  • Mom of three here too, also in sports and going all dif ways!
    Im doing a taco bar tonight .. cook 2 lbs lean meat, I add pack of low sodium taco seasoning and 2 cans of chili beans, 1 big can of itallian tomatos, and a handful of banana peppers (makes enough for left overs!!) and put all the fixins on the bar for everyone to make however they like.
    Easy for me too, I just k eep fat free sour cream and low fat cheese for me, and I skip the chips or tortilla and just throw my taco fixins over lettuce. Ends up being real good and the fam can still eat tacos how they like em :)
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Broiled Salmon & Choice of Frozen Vegtable.

Rub Salmon with olive oil and sprinkle with Dizzy Pig Raging River spice.

Broil Salmon and microwave vegetable for 6 minutes.

Done

Here is a link to spice Dizzy Pig spices are the best.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/HTMLrubs/ragingriver.html
  • Quinoa with ground turkey, spaghetti squash, turkey burger, oven fry chicken with mash potato (sorry, I am not a big meat eater)
  • Easy

take one tomatoe wash it then eat it only 22 calories
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Chicken Parmesan:

Dip chicken breasts in a little egg, roll in Progresso Garlic and Herb bread crumbs, put in pan. Top with a little light spaghetti sauce of your choice. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. During the last 10 minutes, top with a little shredded mozzarella cheese. Serve with a little whole wheat pasta and veggies. Each 4 oz. breast is under 200 cals on its own, with the added sides you should be able to stay around 400 cals. Make up a whole pan and feed off it for days. Great for lunch, too! Good luck!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    My favorite quick meal is no fuss chicken pot pie. :) So easy. I have it posted on my blog http:imnochef.blogspot.com and others if you want to look. :)

1 can 10 3/4 oz of cream of chicken soup 98% fat free
    1 can 10 3/4 oz of cream of celery soup 98% fat free
    2 cans of 29 oz mixed vegetables
    1 - 2 lbs of baked chicken breast (depends on what you like)

2 deep dish pie shells
    1 box of two pie top crusts

* Cut the chicken into cubes. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour mixture into the deep dish pie shells. Moisten the pie shells edge with a little water. Unroll the top crusts and lay on top of the pot pie. Pinch the edges to seal it. Cut slits in the top to give it vents. Bake at 425* for 30 minutes. Freeze any uneaten pot pies to thaw and warm later. One of my favorite freezer meals.

Just let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help. :)

423 calories, 10 fat grams, 2 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protien, and 52 carbs for a serving. 8 servings in a pie. :)

Super easy!! :) Wish I could post pics. It looks yummy too!!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    This is a little more than 400 cals, but when I figured out the cals on it, I was using regular ingredients, not low fat products! Still not bad for using the regular stuff. This is something my mom used to make for my family when I was growing up and is extremely kid friendly! I hope u give it a try...

HONKEYTONK

Ingredients
    Prego - Spaghetti Sauce - Roasted Garlic and Herb, 1 container (2 1/2 cups ea.)
    Beef - Ground, 80% lean meat / 20% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned (hamburger), 2 portion ( yield from 1/2 lb raw meat )
    Prince Pasta - Small Shells, 1 container (16 oz (1 cup dry) ea.)
    Kraft - Velveeta - Cheese Slices, 1 container (16 slices ea.)
    Campbell's - Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup-Great for Cooking, 1 container (1 3/10 cups ea.)
    Contadina - Tomato Paste, 1 container (10 tbsp ea.)

Per Serving: 538 cals 61 carbs 19 fat 26 protein 5 fiber
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    This is a little more than 400 cals, but when I figured out the cals on it, I was using regular ingredients, not low fat products! Still not bad for using the regular stuff. This is something my mom used to make for my family when I was growing up and is extremely kid friendly! I hope u give it a try...

HONKEYTONK

Ingredients
    Prego - Spaghetti Sauce - Roasted Garlic and Herb, 1 container (2 1/2 cups ea.)
    Beef - Ground, 80% lean meat / 20% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned (hamburger), 2 portion ( yield from 1/2 lb raw meat )
    Prince Pasta - Small Shells, 1 container (16 oz (1 cup dry) ea.)
    Kraft - Velveeta - Cheese Slices, 1 container (16 slices ea.)
    Campbell's - Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup-Great for Cooking, 1 container (1 3/10 cups ea.)
    Contadina - Tomato Paste, 1 container (10 tbsp ea.)

Per Serving: 538 cals 61 carbs 19 fat 26 protein 5 fiber

I forgot directions....duh!
    cook pasta and drain....also cook hamburg and drain and rinse with HOT HOT water to get rid of excess grease. Mix together sauce, paste, & soup (no milk added) then mix into pasta. Layer the pasta mixture and the cheese (2 or 3 layers) in baking dish and pop in oven on 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese has completely oozed thru entire casserole!
  • My favorite quick meal is no fuss chicken pot pie. :) So easy. I have it posted on my blog http:imnochef.blogspot.com and others if you want to look. :)

1 can 10 3/4 oz of cream of chicken soup 98% fat free
    1 can 10 3/4 oz of cream of celery soup 98% fat free
    2 cans of 29 oz mixed vegetables
    1 - 2 lbs of baked chicken breast (depends on what you like)

2 deep dish pie shells
    1 box of two pie top crusts

* Cut the chicken into cubes. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour mixture into the deep dish pie shells. Moisten the pie shells edge with a little water. Unroll the top crusts and lay on top of the pot pie. Pinch the edges to seal it. Cut slits in the top to give it vents. Bake at 425* for 30 minutes. Freeze any uneaten pot pies to thaw and warm later. One of my favorite freezer meals.

Just let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help. :)

423 calories, 10 fat grams, 2 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protien, and 52 carbs for a serving. 8 servings in a pie. :)

Super easy!! :) Wish I could post pics. It looks yummy too!!
  • Just wondering does any one use fresh Ingredients in the US of A
  • Do you have a slow cooker? Mine is my best friend.

The meals can take a while to prep, but you can make an awful lot of food at a time, and the cooking is all done during the day, unsupervised. I do my prep the night before, toss it in the bowl of the pot and huck it in the fridge. Then, when I wake up, I throw it back in the crock pot, press go and wait for the good smells to start wafting their way out.

Chicken (or turkey) Stew (approx. 10 servings, 160 cals per serving)

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in chunks and browned, or leftover turkey meat (great for avoiding "dry turkey leftover syndrome")
    3 cans cream of chicken soup (low sodium/fat if possible)
    carrots
    green beans
    corn
    potatoes
    any other veggies you like (I add mushrooms and leeks as well)
    sage to taste
    thyme to taste
    black pepper to taste
    flour to thicken

Put in pot, cook on low for 8-10 hours. Add the corn and green beans with about an hour left, or else they get mushy. I serve it in bread bowls if I feel like being extra fancy.

Ham and Lentil Soup (8 servings, 131 cals per serving)

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotsoup/r/bl17c6.htm

Carrot and Honey Soup (8 servings, about 120 cals per serving)

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/carrot-soup-with-honey-recipe.html (I omit the sauteeing, and thus the oil)

My Spaghetti Sauce Recipe (12 servings, 150 cals per serving)

3 900 mL cans crushed tomatoes
    1 lb ground beef, browned
    red onion
    jalapenos
    green peppers
    mushrooms
    frozen chopped spinach
    zucchini when it's in season
    italian herb blend

Throw in crock pot, cook on low 8-10 hours, adding zucchini in the last hour or so if you're using it.
  • UMMMMM!!!!!!!! YUMMMMMMM!!!!

Keep in mind, depending on where you live there isn't much that's "fresh". I live in Canada, and it's -10C here right now. The nearest "fresh" fruits and veggies are in Mexico and the southern States, thousands of miles away! It's not like it is for you in England, where good growing is just around the corner. Our fresh produce is pretty expensive, unless you happen to like potatoes, rutabaga and squash. So sometimes frozen, dried or canned just has to be the reality.
  • Bump Bump Bump
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    I make a vegetarian chilli that comes in at 255 calories a serving (before any garnish or grains). You would have to modify the yield to feed everyone, as this recipe makes 3 servings, but I like it.

1 can kidney beans
    1 cup black beans
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 garlic clove
    50 grams onion
    1 tb chilli powder
    1 tb ground cumin.

Pretty tasty and super easy to make. And you can switch out the beans for pinto or other types if you like.
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Great idea!!!
    Mom of three here too, also in sports and going all dif ways!
    Im doing a taco bar tonight .. cook 2 lbs lean meat, I add pack of low sodium taco seasoning and 2 cans of chili beans, 1 big can of itallian tomatos, and a handful of banana peppers (makes enough for left overs!!) and put all the fixins on the bar for everyone to make however they like.
    Easy for me too, I just k eep fat free sour cream and low fat cheese for me, and I skip the chips or tortilla and just throw my taco fixins over lettuce. Ends up being real good and the fam can still eat tacos how they like em :)

Keep in mind, depending on where you live there isn't much that's "fresh". I live in Canada, and it's -10C here right now. The nearest "fresh" fruits and veggies are in Mexico and the southern States, thousands of miles away! It's not like it is for you in England, where good growing is just around the corner. Our fresh produce is pretty expensive, unless you happen to like potatoes, rutabaga and squash. So sometimes frozen, dried or canned just has to be the reality.
This discussion has been closed.