Dairy is bad?

Options
I keep seeing people say "Cut dairy out of your diet" and "Dairy is the devil" and "Don't EVER eat dairy"
Can I ask why? I realize there are a lot of health issues associated to dairy.. but does eating dairy hinder weight loss?

Sorry if this question has been asked 18 million times :)

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've always heard you should have dairy every day. You just have to make it healthy dairy, like skim milk, or low fat cheese or yogurt.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get a million different answers, on all ends of the spectrum, but really unless you're someone who needs to avoid dairy for medical reasons (you're lactose intolerant) then there's no reason to completely cut dairy out of your diet. I try to limit it because it tends to be higher in sodium, and I prefer not to drink my calories (milk), and I'm also slightly sensitive to dairy (if I eat too much of it, it causes digestive problems...)

That said, I've been fairly consistently eating dairy on a regular basis in the form of cottage cheese and yogurt (which are great sources for protein) and it hasn't caused any problem with my weight loss.

Long story short - anyone who says that everyone should completely cut X, Y or Z out of their diet is unrealistic and usually there is no real need to do so. People have successfully lost weight on just about any combination of foods - it's a matter of an individual's personal preferences, fitness goals and health needs that will impact what works for them.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Nope, dont' cut it out. We all need some dairy every day of our lives. Just make smarter choices about the dairy you consume and how much you consume. That's all.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    If loving cheese is wrong, I don't want to be right.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    low fat dairy is essential and things like non fat milk and non fat plain greek yogurt are amazing for weight loss and high in protein and calcium.

You can choose not to consume dairy, but the damage you do to your bones and teeth can be difficult to reverse. Calcium is essential for strong bones and teeth.

I would actually say red meat and liquor are more harmful to your diet than dairy. But I don't believe in cutting things out. I just believe in limiting how much you eat of those things.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Dairy CAN be good for you, if your body can tolerate it. Humans are not really meant to digest other critter's milk. Give it up for a month, if you want, and then reintroduce it, and see how you feel. It should be a good indication of if it's really something your body can handle
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think dairy is essential. Cow's milk is produced for baby cows, just like human breastmilk is made for baby humans. No mammal needs any kind of milk after early childhood. It's also worth noting that humans are the only creature that routinely drinks the milk of another animal.

All that being said, I do love me some cheese. And yogurt. But as far as it being "essential," that's a lot of bull. There are lots of non-dairy calcium sources, many of them higher in calcium than milk.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    One more thing - DON'T be afraid of full-fat diary. So many people say you should only eat no-fat/low-fat dairy, but there is increasing evidence that the fat in dairy is not bad for you (assuming you're eating reasonable portions). If it weren't so expensive, I would invest in a local cow and use raw milk (fat and all) instead of the processed stuff they carry in the stores!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Hmm... All mammals that feed their young milk wean them off and then milk is never consumed again. Except for humans of course! What do you think? And if you really must, whole milks is the way to go. The calcium in milk is not needed for strong teeth and bones. Not leaching calcium out of your bones from poor diet and deficiencies in nutrition is.
  • victoriajett
    Options
    Amen to the cheese thing! I love cheese. You can eat what ever you want, you just gotta do it the right way.
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    If loving cheese is wrong, I don't want to be right.

:laugh:
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    everything in moderation! i read somewhere that women should drink 1/2 a pint of milk a day weather its in other beverages or on cereal as we need the calcium for our bones
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Perfectly put. Trent is correct, no need to avoid dairy or food X, Y or Z. Just be aware of yoru goals and individual fitness and medical issues.
    I'm sure you'll get a million different answers, on all ends of the spectrum, but really unless you're someone who needs to avoid dairy for medical reasons (you're lactose intolerant) then there's no reason to completely cut dairy out of your diet. I try to limit it because it tends to be higher in sodium, and I prefer not to drink my calories (milk), and I'm also slightly sensitive to dairy (if I eat too much of it, it causes digestive problems...)

That said, I've been fairly consistently eating dairy on a regular basis in the form of cottage cheese and yogurt (which are great sources for protein) and it hasn't caused any problem with my weight loss.

Long story short - anyone who says that everyone should completely cut X, Y or Z out of their diet is unrealistic and usually there is no real need to do so. People have successfully lost weight on just about any combination of foods - it's a matter of an individual's personal preferences, fitness goals and health needs that will impact what works for them.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Get real dairy, whole, raw milk.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Wow - thank you for all the responses!! I eat cottage cheese and put milk in my protein shakes - usually have yogurt & berries for dessert so I know that I'm consuming a fair amount of dairy, I just needed to know that I wasn't totally sabotaging myself. LOL
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    People are split on this issue. Some say dairy good, some say dairy bad. I know that some cultures think milk is intended for babies only and they think it's very strange that we drink it as adults. I've also read some studies on links to certain types of cancer. I'm no expert but I do wonder about how good it is myself since so many people have intolerance to it.

*shrug* I personally don't tolerate dairy well so I eat very little myself.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Dairy is essential for calcium, which is needed to keep bones healthy and strong.

Yes other animals wean there babies off milk but these animals don't have the same lifespan as we do and so their bones don't need to keep going like ours.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    One more thing - DON'T be afraid of full-fat diary. So many people say you should only eat no-fat/low-fat dairy, but there is increasing evidence that the fat in dairy is not bad for you (assuming you're eating reasonable portions). If it weren't so expensive, I would invest in a local cow and use raw milk (fat and all) instead of the processed stuff they carry in the stores!

"like" :)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Dairy is essential for calcium, which is needed to keep bones healthy and strong.

Yes other animals wean there babies off milk but these animals don't have the same lifespan as we do and so their bones don't need to keep going like ours.

Untrue, milk is not needed for dietary calcium. Preventing the loss of it in the first place is.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

It really isn't. Most can get enough Calcium from other foods.