Eating out

Options
2»

Replies

• Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You can always take a day or a meal off and just not worry about it. I do that most weekends and it hasn't hindered my weight loss. I've been a little more strict this month because I'm trying to lose 10 pounds a month for the next three months. But, before that I would not worry at all and was still losing at least 1 pound a week.

I do this too. I eat pretty well during the week and try on weekends but we usually are out with my mom fri evening and sat lunch time so we usually eat out somewhere. What I do though, is like this past Saturday we went to a chinese buffet. I ate a very small breakfast and had crackers, laughing cow cheese wedge and fruit for dinner since I was still full from lunch and know I spent a ton of calories there. I always try to eat light the rest of the day when I know Im gonna eat out so if I do go over, its not much.
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This is the main problem I'm having. When my parents come to visit, I like to take them to a unique local restaurant instead of a chain. But I thiink until I meet my goal weight, I will stick with those restaurants that I can research and find nutritional information for. Then, onces I'm just maintaining, i can branch out and learn to eat healthy at some of our local restaurants.

Thanks for all the great adivce!
  • klininger
    Options
    McAlister's Deli seems to have some pretty lo cal options and yummy too!
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Another thing, especially with a local restaurant, is that the chef/cook is usually able and willing to accomdate special requests--you could even call ahead to ask and arrange it. Then you could just give some "guidelines"--no heavy cream, extra cheese, lots of veggies w/o sauce, salads without all the extras, whole grains, etc, etc--whatever you are eating normally so you won't have to feel guilty or deprived and someone else gets to cook for you. Whatever you decide to do, do it wholeheartedly and enjoy it fully.
    Good luck!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I probably drive people at restaurants insane, but I ask for things on the side a lot. Dressing? Put it on the side. Sauce that is added after the cooking is done? Put it on the side. I eat vegetarian when I eat out if there's a good vegetarian option, and if there isn't, I go for grilled fish if it is available. I usually ask if I can substitute a vegetable or a salad for potatoes or rice if those are served on the side with whatever entrée I choose.
  • Burgertogo
    Burgertogo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At most any restaurant that has a Chef or a better establishment you can ask for something to be cooked in a healthy way. Ask them to just Broil your fish or Chicken, ask if they have any steamed Vegs as a side. The best thing you can do is NOT order that side of Mashed potatoes. Food tastes great at restaurants because they use lots of BUTTER. They are interested in you coming back because the food was so good.