The biggest loser: love it or hate it??

Options
13»

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    After reading a blog account of a contestant on BL I now have very mixed feelings regarding the BL. They aren't eating appropriately unless you think 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day is appropriate for 4 to 6 hours spent working out. They are forced to workout against doctor's orders. They dehydrate themselves 24 hours before a weigh in. The first host left because she couldn't stand by and watch what was happening without voicing her opinion. They have to sign a contract that binds them from speaking out negative publicly against the show. This contestant is challenging NBC to come after them if they want. I doubt they will. Of course there are other things happening, but what I've typed is enough to questioned this show's ethics.

I'm a competitive person so I like that aspect as long as they are learning how to better themselves and exercising properly. These other tactics I dis-like greatly.

Heavy on the other hand is on the other side of the spectrum. Its not about game play. They focus on the individual, breaking through their barriers. I just would like the show to revisit the clients maybe 6 months later to see if they are still following through.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    After reading a blog account of a contestant on BL I now have very mixed feelings regarding the BL. They aren't eating appropriately unless you think 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day is appropriate for 4 to 6 hours spent working out. They are forced to workout against doctor's orders. They dehydrate themselves 24 hours before a weigh in. The first host left because she couldn't stand by and watch what was happening without voicing her opinion. They have to sign a contract that binds them from speaking out negative publicly against the show. This contestant is challenging NBC to come after them if they want. I doubt they will. Of course there are other things happening, but what I've typed is enough to questioned this show's ethics.

I'm a competitive person so I like that aspect as long as they are learning how to better themselves and exercising properly. These other tactics I dis-like greatly.

Heavy on the other hand is on the other side of the spectrum. Its not about game play. They focus on the individual, breaking through their barriers. I just would like the show to revisit the clients maybe 6 months later to see if they are still following through.
    which blog did you read? i also read some stuff that freaked me out about what goes on behind the scenes of Biggest Loser.im wondering if thats why the twin brother "gained 9 lbs" to go home. maybe they realized it was unhealthy and not good for the way they wanted to live. obviosly the at home prize is enough motivation. Also the show films a couple months before it is aired which is how they do the "see the contestent now" part.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd like the show much better if it wasn't for all the typical reality show drama.
  • Go_Lise
    Go_Lise Posts: 151
    Options
    I think it's a great show in terms of showing that it CAN be done but I'm not a fan of the game playing.
  • deandp371
    Options
    The advertising they work into the show is getting to be too much!

The contestants often have gotten where they are because of emotional issues and life situations that they have to recognize and deal with in order to make change. That part's very interesting to me, for some reason.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    The program is usually on one TV at the gym. At first I was indifferent but slowly it started to motivate me during workouts.
    I now enjoy watching the show during cardio.
  • mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love the biggest loser! I never miss it! When it first came out I thought it was dumb and didn't get in to it. But about 3 seasons ago me and my husband started watching it and its our favorite show. I work long hours on Tuesdays but I try my hardest to make it home so I can watch it. It keeps me motivated to not eat junk and to workout. Actually, I have been working out when I'm watching it. As far as this season I really don't have a fav, I like most everyone on there.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love the biggest loser! I never miss it! When it first came out I thought it was dumb and didn't get in to it. But about 3 seasons ago me and my husband started watching it and its our favorite show. I work long hours on Tuesdays but I try my hardest to make it home so I can watch it. It keeps me motivated to not eat junk and to workout. Actually, I have been working out when I'm watching it. As far as this season I really don't have a fav, I like most everyone on there.
    which season was that? i started watching the one with mike being the winner and i really liked it. this one is just too annoying...i didnt get it last night- whats going on with the black team? it was obviosly some kind of game play. but it was really weird