Protein??

Options
2»

Replies

• Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Try to find a protein drink that is at least 24g of protein per serving. You can drink 1-2 shakes per day and eat the rest in food. I'd say stay away from things like Slim Fast and Special K protein drinks. They have a lot of carbs and calories and not a lot of protein.

There are a lot of different kinds on the market. I think the Vitamin Shoppe sells samples. Get some samples and see which you like best. Some good ones were recommended already.

The one I want to try is Premier Nutrition. It's got 30g of protein per 11 oz. It's a bit pricey--about $3-$4 per drink depending on where you get it from.
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Also how much should you have a day? I work out on a reg M, W & F nights but try to get to the gym on a Thurs & Sat for cycle class. I just don't want to over do it or under do it. Thanks

I always go over on Protein according to MFP. I pretty much just use the numbers they give me as a guideline anyway. Sometimes I may eat a little more of what they have listed as a serving, or less, and I don't bother to adjust it. I have no idea how many calories I'm actually burning during a workout so that's kind of up in the air as well. Sometimes I'm over my caloric intake, sometimes under, I don't bother eating all of the calories they suggest if I'm not hungry. But, like I said, it's a good guideline. I'm never too far off either way, and it's an easy, convenient tool, so I'm doing it. It's just not a "bible" for me.
  • kboroski
    Options
    My goal is to get 1 gram of protein for ever 10 calories. So, if I'm eating 1200 calories, I'm getting around 120 grams of protein. My daily "minimum" (as advised by my doctor to maintain my metabolic rate while dieting) is 90 grams.

I posted on my blog about some of my favorite high protein snacks. It's from over 2 years ago, and I should probably post a new one soon since it's my most popular page.... but in case it's helpful to any of you:

http://www.thesmartsnacker.com/2008/09/got-protein/
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Optimum 100% Whey Gold is the number one seller on bodybuilding.com for a reason.... just sayin.
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    General consensus is 1g per lb lean body mass on a cut to preserve muscle. If you are 20% fat at 150, then you need ~ 120g daily.