Eggs - what's so bad about a whole egg??

Options

Replies

• humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The egg yolks raise your cholesterol thing was busted at least ayear if not more.
    Eggs as a whole A. taste better, B. are more filling. I could eat 3 egg whites and not be half as full as if I ate 1 whole egg. Plus, I can hardboil an egg, cut it up and put it on my salad and I dont need dressing. IMO, eggs are amazing. After all, it is the incredible, edible egg!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites every morning. It helps me get the protein in my breakfast up without adding too many calories, but I'd never give up the 1 whole egg. I love the taste, and the idea of eating a whole food, and I'm not too afraid of natural fats.

Me too. I usually have one whole egg and three whites in the morning. I treid to do all whites, but I love the yolk tooooo much.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'll stick with my while eggs for weekend breakfasts, but it's interesting to hear everyone's thoughts.
    I've heard "cackleberries" before but not "hen apples", that's cute :)
    I'm in Western Australia, although Melbourne and Sydney and Adelaide are great, you missed an aven better bit of Australia!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I would never be able to bring myself to crack an egg and throw half of it away. I saw on TV yesterday, as well, that, according to the USDA, eggs in the US are healthier than they used to be. I don't know if that applies to eggs here in Canada or there in Australia, but they were saying one whole egg a day is fine.

I don't eat many eggs, but I won't be throwing out the yolks any time soon. :)
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I generally have an egg, whole, poached on Sunday's, can't imagine not having the whole egg, good for you! although never tried, nor want to have only egg whites!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    The absolutely horrendous conditions the chickens are kept in.
  • chrish1981
    Options
    I read somewhere that women who eat one whole egg a day (yolk and all) lose more weight than those who don't.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Doing our bit to re-dress this, we have 3 chickens who eat like kings and have free reign of our back yard, in return we get at least 2 eggs a day :)
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    WHOLE EGGS! WHOLE EGGS!

haha wait I thought this was a protest! :laugh:

In all seriousness, I always eat the whole egg. I love the yolk part, it's so tasty!
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I eat 3 WHOLE eggs almost every morning. Its more filling that a lot of other things to have and I would be willing to run a few miles just for the yolks lol. I have it good because I get fresh eggs from my neighbor so they are free range grain fed eggs........even better. I can totally tell the difference between store bought and fresh from the coop eggs.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of the yolk. So unless the egg is scrambled I prefer it to be egg white only.
  • Halochic
    Halochic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 2 eggs once a week or more, and those 2 eggs have more cholesterol than what I should have in a day, so I switched to egg beaters, which has none. Pretty much they are made from egg whites. They do taste different but I put seasoning in them. I do miss making egg salad sandwiches though.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs every day for breakfast. Scrambled with hot sauce. My LDL is 88. I do not take any cholesterol meds.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    In moderation it isn't bad. For breakfast I usually have a whole soft-boiled egg. I couldn't imagine just eating egg whites. There are some things that I just will not sacrifice.
  • hankster0159
    Options
    eat the whole egg like it was meant to be. processed foods are not good. eat the better quality eggs. like egglands best etc.
  • BrendaLee
    Options

It bothers me. It's one of the reasons I can't enjoy eggs very much. I buy free-run, but I know, even that isn't much better -- if any.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    The egg yolks raise your cholesterol thing was busted at least ayear if not more.
    Eggs as a whole A. taste better, B. are more filling. I could eat 3 egg whites and not be half as full as if I ate 1 whole egg. Plus, I can hardboil an egg, cut it up and put it on my salad and I dont need dressing. IMO, eggs are amazing. After all, it is the incredible, edible egg!

An egg really makes the salad for me.
    Love them hard boiled, scrambles, fried, poached, preferably a nice soft yolk!
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    For **me** it is the cholesterol and calories. I know that the "Yolks raise your cholesterol" has been challenged and even debunked .... for the normal person. But you see, I eat at least 68 eggs a week so I don't really fall into that category .. not to mention the calories I'd be taking in LOL.

And yes, for those wondering, I am serious when I say 68 eggs a week.

4 in the AM and 6 in the PM M-F (10 x 5 =50)
    14 on Saturday (14)
    and a minimum of 4 on Sunday (4)
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs every day for breakfast. Scrambled with hot sauce. My LDL is 88. I do not take any cholesterol meds.

Gotta have the hot sauce. Love it!
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    For **me** it is the cholesterol and calories. I know that the "Yolks raise your cholesterol" has been challenged and even debunked .... for the normal person. But you see, I eat at least 68 eggs a week so I don't really fall into that category .. not to mention the calories I'd be taking in LOL.

And yes, for those wondering, I am serious when I say 68 eggs a week.

4 in the AM and 6 in the PM M-F (10 x 5 =50)
    14 on Saturday (14)
    and a minimum of 4 on Sunday (4)

Holy moly.